Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM

284 posts, read 533,865 times

Advertisements

I love Brooklyn Heights (used to live in Park Slope), but I consider it inferior to Brookline (and by that I mean lacking in suburban life benefits). Unlike Brookline, Brooklyn Heights doesn't have its own public school system, nor does it offer any opportunity for owning single family homes, or being able to easily find street parking. All those cute neighborhoods of Brooklyn are a toned down version of Manhattan, but don't really have any of the suburban benefits that Brookline seems to offer. But if $$ were absolutely no issue at all, I'd love to buy a comfortable apartment in Bklyn Heights, send my kids to private schools, and live happily ever after :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
I love Brooklyn Heights (used to live in Park Slope), but I consider it inferior to Brookline (and by that I mean lacking in suburban life benefits). Unlike Brookline, Brooklyn Heights doesn't have its own public school system, nor does it offer any opportunity for owning single family homes, or being able to easily find street parking. All those cute neighborhoods of Brooklyn are a toned down version of Manhattan, but don't really have any of the suburban benefits that Brookline seems to offer. But if $$ were absolutely no issue at all, I'd love to buy a comfortable apartment in Bklyn Heights, send my kids to private schools, and live happily ever after :-)
Again that's because NYC is one of the biggest cities/metros in the ENTIRE WORLD and Boston simply one of the top 10 cities/metros in AMERICA. Both are "major league" cities/metros in my book, but they can't really be compared to each other in the sense you're trying to. Brookline is unique (as in many ways NYC is for that matter......I mean where else in the US but NYC do you have 10,000 people/sq mile densities 15-20 miles from a city center or in general such extreme density over a prolonged area?)

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

[quote=7 (as in many ways NYC is for that matter......I mean where else in the US but NYC do you have 10,000 people/sq mile densities 15-20 miles from a city center or in general such extreme density over a prolonged area?)[/QUOTE]

You are right. I guess I was just hoping to hear something that would make me think "Ah, Fairfield County is better in X, Y, Z. I am not missing out on anything by living here rather than there."

Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
You are right. I guess I was just hoping to hear something that would make me think "Ah, Fairfield County is better in X, Y, Z. I am not missing out on anything by living here rather than there."
The only thing you're missing out on is urban living. That's it. I think we told you that threads ago.

Not to offend, but you need to stop trying to fool yourself. If Brookline is where you want to be, go there! There are many people who would love to take your spot in Fairfield County.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Not to offend, but you need to stop trying to fool yourself. .
You are right and no offense taken. Back to my old goal of finding the most urban experience I can right here in FfC...

Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
You are right and no offense taken. Back to my old goal of finding the most urban experience I can right here in FfC...
Again, Stamford and parts of Norwalk. Schools aren't the best as urban areas in CT tend to have a cheaper COL, so you'd want to look at private school.

At that point, look into Brooklyn Heights.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
I know i'm repeating myself, but i think it bears repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think you might be better off staying in Stamford until your budget increases a bit. Revonah/Oaklawn/Upper Strawberry Hill area would probably be ideal. It's on the "edge" of the city, with a higher concentration of Jewish families. Move out by middle school though. IMHO.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Again, Stamford and parts of Norwalk. Schools aren't the best as urban areas in CT tend to have a cheaper COL, so you'd want to look at private school.

At that point, look into Brooklyn Heights.
While I agree on your assessment of Stamford and Norwalk schools (at least compared to most other parts of FFC), they really aren't a much cheaper COL. For that (if in FFC) you need to go to Bridgeport, and that's obviously a significantly different kind of 'urban experience'

Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 AM

92 posts, read 203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Sorry, but no. Brookline is right in the middle of the fashionable axis in Boston that begins on Beacon Hill and heads west out to the fancy suburbs. It is much more comparable to the upper east/west sides in terms of how it relates to the city center and its place in the social geography of the metropolitan area. Not to diss Whitestone, but there are 100s of nice middle-class neighborhoods like that in the outer boroughs that might be comparable to Brookline in housing cost and density but none of them enjoy anything like Brookline's privileged status within the Boston context or its extraordinary proximity to the city's happenings and attractions. There are no Brooklines in the New York area, in part because NY is so huge that anything as close as Brookline is to the city center is going to be very urban, and lack the distinct advantage of not being under the thumb of City Hall. What's nice about Brookline is its mix of urban, suburban, and estate country (south of Route 9), all in one town.
Forest Hills Gardens. Very far from middle class and not at all an urban feel within the neighborhood (winding cobblestone roads, street lighting that looks like 19th century gas lights, massive English todor style homes with a fair mix of architecturally pleasing garden apartments sprinkled throughout -- for those who can't afford the massive price tag which accompanies the Tudors ). 20 minute train ride to midtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut