U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM

46 posts, read 52,246 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the Stylo, willow wind, and kidyankee, I've been getting some good info regarding places to search for apartments to rent in/around NH. I'd like to know what makes living in the area great to the folks that live there. I've lived all over the country and internationally but have only spent a little time in CT and I've only visited NH once--the day my wife interviewed for her new job. So...

What do you love about NH and living in CT in general?

I keep hearing it's a foodie paradise. Why? Good restaurants? Local food movement? Stores to buy organic foods? I saw that there is a Whole Foods in Milford, is that the only place?

I lived in Hawai'i for seven years and love the ocean. Is the Long Island Sound safe to swim in? Where are some good beaches to go to? Are there good state parks near by with lakes-- (I seriously love water).

I love British style/Irish style pubs and would love to find a place to watch Liverpool matches. Any thoughts on good pubs that might show English premier league matches? How about places with excellent beer?

What kinds of attractions are there in the area (museums, historical sites etc) ?

Is CT fairly progressive politically?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading the responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,041,366 times
New Haven and food- lol- tons of restaurants of every type imaginable and to fit all budgets. And of course, New Haven pizza ! And if you ever think you've tried every restaurant in New Haven, then you can expand out to the adjacent towns. Being a shoreline area, tons of good seafood places too.

English League football- sure - two good pubs I can think of, someone may come along with more.
Anna Liffey's on Whitney Ave. and Christie's on Orange St. You'll have plenty of company watching.

Organic foods- The Whole Foods in Milford is the only one on the shore. But there are also organic food stores in nearby Branford and Guilford.

Ocean swimming- most swimming is controlled by local towns in which the beach is located . But there are two good, Sound front state parks nearby where the public can swim in Long Island Sound. They are Silver Sands in Milford and Hammonasett in Madison. Notice I said Long Island Sound and not ocean.

The Sound has no wave action. At low ride it's often a series of sand bars, becoming more swimmable at high tide. No surf at all though. If you want to see waves ( other than during a storm) you have to head east to Rhode Island .

State parks with swimming. The closest to New Haven that are coming to mind are Wharton Brook in Wallingford, Chatfield Hollow in Killingworth and Indian Wells in Shelton. None are very far from New Haven.

Museums and historical sites. The state was settled in the early 1600's. The whole place is a historical site- lol . Just do a search on Google for either and you'll get plenty of hits. Start with the Peabody Museum in New Haven

Is CT progressive? There is something for everyone politically. But this a highly tolerant, live and let live area.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 13,603 times
east rock park has a lake (kind of) and a colleague said you could kayak there (with your own kayak). there's farmers market on Wooster street every Saturday until it snows. there's elm city market on chapel/state street, it has organic food...

Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 24,742,663 times
1. Beaches/shore living. Here in Milford, we have over a dozen - and some are the nicest west of New Haven (Woodmont Beach is amazing). We have more shoreline in this town than any other spot in CT, a beautiful harbor, downtown, etc. I can walk to our private beach or park by the harbor and watch sailboat traffic. I love the shoreline towns around New Haven in general. I think they are fantastic. Perfect blend of beauty and accessibility (not too far away from stuff). Madison is breathtakingly gorgeous.
2. Foodie paradise is right. Not only in New Haven, but in surrounding towns as well. There's a perfect mix of affordability (allowing less risk than more expensive areas closer to NYC), a huge student population, and general high standards that you can find a world class restaurant just about anywhere on the New Haven County shoreline. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to are in this areas, from casual to formal. And that pizza. Oh, that pizza.
3. Culture. New Haven is full of music, museums (the Yale galleries are world class and soon to open a huge expansion), plays/musicals, symphonies (many free or very inexpensive at Woolsey), etc.
4. Nightlife. New Haven has the best in the state. Milford is very hopping in the summer. No shortage of things to do.

I love this area and would not choose another in CT. Honestly, if I couldn't live here - I'd probably move to another part of the country.

Btw: Anna Liffey's is the soccer pub in the area. Very UK feel! There's more cool pubs: Christie's, O'Toole's, Kelly's, Seven Seas in Milford, Crooked Shillelagh in Branford.

I do disagree with no wave action. Here in Milford, facing the large part of the sound, half of the days of the year we have breaking waves. Now, they ARE small waves and in short succession (completely un-surfable), so it's nothing like the ocean - but they absolutely exist. On a windy day on our private beach standing in knee deep water, I've gotten hit in the face with a wave before.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 13,603 times
one thing that I like in New Haven is also - there are crowds of cute little squrrels jumping everywhere. Being european, that was a very nice surprise to me (back there you see a squirrel in a park only occasionally)

Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM

3,394 posts, read 3,539,672 times
Yale hockey games at Ingalls Rink. The rink is an architectural landmark that looks like a whale from the outside. Inside is one of the best venues in the country to see a hockey game. It is very small and very loud and there is not a bad seat in the house. Tickets can be tough, as Yale has been very good as of late, but it's worth checking out.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM

[quote=Stylo;25721252]1. Beaches/shore living. Here in Milford, we have over a dozen - and some are the nicest west of New Haven (Woodmont Beach is amazing). We have more shoreline in this town than any other spot in CT, a beautiful harbor, downtown, etc. I can walk to our private beach or park by the harbor and watch sailboat traffic. I love the shoreline towns around New Haven in general. I think they are fantastic. Perfect blend of beauty and accessibility (not too far away from stuff). Madison is breathtakingly gorgeous.

Private beaches is a new concept for me. Is it a gated community or only people from the town can go to the beach? Every inch of shoreline in Hawai'i is public so I have no frame of reference.

Do some beaches cost money to go to ala NJ? That was a head scratcher for me too. What about public beach areas? Are there any? If so, are they super crowded?

Thanks again!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,041,366 times
The only public ocean beaches in CT are those owned by the state. They are few and far between. The two closest to New Haven are Silver Sands in Milford and Hammonasset in Madison. Although public, you do need a paid permit to get to them. You can a buy a season pass for $ 67.00 which will get you into any CT state park or beach that requires a permit. The permit goes with a vehicle and is the permit is registered by vehicle. The permit is good for both ocean parks and for inland parks too.

Read more here on the state website

DEP: Special Passes - CT State Parks and Forests

All other beaches are private and open only to town residents. If you're not a resident, you can get into them, but they will charge a per day rate to park, which can be pricey. For example, in Madison, it's $ 40 a day per car, in Clinton , it's $ 25.00

Technically, all beaches in CT are open to the public below the high water line. Of course, the only to get below the high water line without crossing land and private property is to approach by sea. Since the actual dry beach, concessions, parking, are all above the high water line on town owned property, it effectively locks out the public in general.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info willow wind!

Now a pizza question...or questions. What is "apizza"? I keep seeing it listed in neighborhoods and have no idea what it means. Also how is pronounced? Long A, short a, something else?

Where does one find the good pizza in and around NH?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,282,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Btw: Anna Liffey's is the soccer pub in the area. Very UK feel! There's more cool pubs: Christie's, O'Toole's, Kelly's, Seven Seas in Milford, Crooked Shillelagh in Branford.
Ha! You beat me to it - Anna Liffey's is definitely the place to be. We've got a few really good Irish pubs up here and in Hartford & that's still my favorite out of all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylo
I do disagree with no wave action. Here in Milford, facing the large part of the sound, half of the days of the year we have breaking waves. Now, they ARE small waves and in short succession (completely un-surfable), so it's nothing like the ocean - but they absolutely exist. On a windy day on our private beach standing in knee deep water, I've gotten hit in the face with a wave before.
I must've picked a bad day to be at the beach then. I went to Walnut Beach for the first time and it was dead. Not only was it a sandbar for about a mile out, but there was no tide whatsoever. I know it's the sound, and I knew this going there so I had an idea of what to expect - but there was NOTHING when I was there. Maybe I picked the wrong beach in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut