Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 110,961 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I saw there is a parking garage behind Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard.
Is that the one that is connected to the Train Station in Bridgeport?
I also heard they close at midnight. So if you come home late, you are locked out of your car.
Is that true?

What other garages would you recommend.

Also, when the weather gets bad, I don't want to be walking in snow in the winter if I can avoid it.

I don't go into the City every day, only a few days a week, so I don't mind paying a bit more to be closer.

Thanks,
btanoue

If you recommend a place with a monthly rate that is good, thats fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
The garage behind the arena is connected to the train station. I don't use it because it closes early. (I use the Bridgeport train station when I catch Amtrak to DC or Boston). There is another garage-- much older across the street from the station. My father used to park there, and I park there now-- an I can't tell you the name of it (Sad). I'd recommend using that station if you are coming home late. It is a marginally shorter walk than the other garage-- which seems to be more popular. Keep in mind the garage across the street is cash only...

Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM

mlassof,

Thanks for the heads up. I might be coming home early that day anyway so no big deal.
I guess because its easier, I most likely take the South Frontage Street to the Harbor Yard Garage.

Do you know which track is the southbound to NY side?

Also, I did look into Amtrak when I need to get to NJ. I assume you buy your tickets online.
How do you know which track the Amtrak trains on coming on? If you make a mistake, the train is there for such a short time, switching tracks might be impossible.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Hi,

Is it Imperial Parking, 70 State Street?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
In general, the State Street side goes to New York (and points beyond on Amtrak) and the side on the Long Island Sound is New Haven and Boston bound trains. In the unlikely event that track work or other construction has things switched around, it will be obvious on your arrival. Check the monitors or ask someone....

Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM

209 posts, read 607,781 times
If you only go into the city a few days a week; what about parking at Fairfield Metro. That way you don't have to mess with Bridgeport. The day rate at Metro is $6, it doesn't close and its safe so no matter what time you come home.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:41 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
They can get you after midnight since the security people are there, but its a pain.
If your gonna park there and won't be back until after midnight, park in the open lot across Water St from it underneath the highway. Unlike the garage attached to the Webster Bank Arena, that thing doesn't lock.
There's also 2 garages on opposite side of Water/Frontage; 1 is just before the turn in a think a bank of America building, and the other is on the corner of State St (not sure how long those stay open, however).
You can also park in the Holiday Inn garage on Middle & John I think it is. Likewise, that doesn't close either.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Hi,

I thought about Fairfield Metro, but I'm coming in from Shelton, so I wanted to avoid I95 like the Plague.
Thank you though for thinking outside the box :-)

I saw parking at the Imperial Garage. I think its the Holiday Inn.
It seems a much shorter walk than the Webster Bank Arena.

I keep hearing about crime in Bridgeport and I am a little concerned. If I commute in the morning it feels very safe. But if I happen to come home late, I'm not so sure. Am I paranoid?

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
btanoue

Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM

209 posts, read 607,781 times
Well back to Faifield metro lol. You could go south on the merritt and exit 44 (route 58 black rock turnpike) and just take 58/black rock turnpike all the way down to the train station. I live over by that way and I do that drive in about 10 minutes. This way you can go from route 8 to the merrit to fairfield. Just follow rock turnpike all the way down ilterally. You will pass the tunxis area, a CVS, a cemetary, another CVS and then you'll go under the overpass for I95, loop around to the left and then bear right to stay on black rock. You'll pass sweet basil on your left, cross over commerce, pass bigelow tea on your right, planet fitness on your right and then take the next right past planet fitness, here is the train station (entrance is on your right). I do try to think out of the box at times. I understand if you don't want to do this extra step but as a girl by myself when commuting, etc I would avoid Bridgeport. Just trying to be helpful. Good luck

Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btanoue View Post
Hi,

I thought about Fairfield Metro, but I'm coming in from Shelton, so I wanted to avoid I95 like the Plague.
Thank you though for thinking outside the box :-)

I saw parking at the Imperial Garage. I think its the Holiday Inn.
It seems a much shorter walk than the Webster Bank Arena.

I keep hearing about crime in Bridgeport and I am a little concerned. If I commute in the morning it feels very safe. But if I happen to come home late, I'm not so sure. Am I paranoid?

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
btanoue

No, its safe around that area. I park in that Webster Bank Arena parking lot, and plenty of times have taken the 12:17 & 1:12 trains home by myself from New York, and have gotten from the station to my car in the garage without any hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut