Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoandporky View Post
Yeah i will not be able to do that as i work haha what about middletown to norwalk
Sweet lord no. NO.
Quote:
Also im sure there was more traffic this weekend then normal
Um, maybe for a Saturday, but it wouldn't even approach what happens at rush hour. Maybe if you had hit construction and were delayed 30 minutes+, then you'd have a closer taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM

21 posts, read 26,524 times
So rush hour what do you folks consider rush hour where im from it doesnt matter if you leave at 630 in the morning you still have the same traffic as you do at 830 and i am used to a 90 min drive each way to work with that said if i am making these trips in 45 to 50 mins on a holiday weekend your saying add 30 mins to it so im at 75 to 80 mins. I am not trying to be hard here but id rather my wife have a 10 min ride to work even if i have a 90 min drive as i work 40 hrs and she works 50 before commute

Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 PM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
You cannot judge the commute by driving a route on a Saturday or Sunday particularly in lower Fairfield County. There will be a lot more traffic on regular weekdays so it will be a longer and harder drive. only you can decide if it is doable or not. Most people though would find it too much. Jay

Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 AM

12 posts, read 11,551 times
I'm sorry, OP, but Middletown to Norwalk WITHOUT traffic alone is around an hour...unfortunately you can expect to double that time some days. My commute is supposed to be 30 minutes from Shelton to Norwalk-and my commute in the summer is about 45 min/each way, and now that school is in session, I can expect my commute to be double- around an hour. Realistically, you are looking at almost 2 hours each direction every day. And forget it when it rains or snows....those days are the worst.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27lives View Post
I'm sorry, OP, but Middletown to Norwalk WITHOUT traffic alone is around an hour...unfortunately you can expect to double that time some days. My commute is supposed to be 30 minutes from Shelton to Norwalk-and my commute in the summer is about 45 min/each way, and now that school is in session, I can expect my commute to be double- around an hour. Realistically, you are looking at almost 2 hours each direction every day. And forget it when it rains or snows....those days are the worst.
Not true. The worst part of a commute from Middletown to Norwalk would be the part you drive from Shelton to Norwalk. The part they would drive that you do not (Middletown to Stratford) is not that bad even during rush hour. Still it will be a long commute and not one I would recommend. Jay

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not true. The worst part of a commute from Middletown to Norwalk would be the part you drive from Shelton to Norwalk. The part they would drive that you do not (Middletown to Stratford) is not that bad even during rush hour. Still it will be a long commute and not one I would recommend. Jay
Technically, Middletown to Trumbull should be fine (traffic in Stratford is rare). However, it can be brutal from there to Norwalk and you want to be as close as possible.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So rush hour what do you folks consider rush hour where im from it doesnt matter if you leave at 630 in the morning you still have the same traffic as you do at 830 and i am used to a 90 min drive each way to work with that said if i am making these trips in 45 to 50 mins on a holiday weekend your saying add 30 mins to it so im at 75 to 80 mins. I am not trying to be hard here but id rather my wife have a 10 min ride to work even if i have a 90 min drive as i work 40 hrs and she works 50 before commute
The traffic begins at 7 or 730. So if you left Middletown at 630, you'd be hitting it many days. Leaving around 5PM, you will hit traffic.

Rush hour traffic here is generally about 730-10AM, and 4-630PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM

16 posts, read 43,316 times
I did the commute from Hamden to Stamford (Exit 6) back in 2002...it was an absolute nightmare …did it for a year...Will never do it again…Work started for me at 8:30am...If i didn't leave between 5:45-6am ...I would arrive late...and that was in the summer time...

In the fall you would have to leave even earlier because you don't want to get caught behind the school buses...you can forget it at that point…depending where you live in Hamden...

One time in the winter…it took me 5 hours to get to work…My whole office was stuck on 95 because it was snowing heavy , accidents everywhere, and a tractor trailer flipped over …

Going back home wasn't any better...I would purposely leave later around 6:30 or 7pm and arrived back to Hamden earlier or the same time if I’d left at 5pm…The only reason I did it was because my company was relocating to North Haven that following year which was only 15 minutes from where I lived in Hamden…

The commute may be better now because more people are taking the train and carpooling but I don’t think so…

Take my recommendation and check out Shelton, Huntington, and Monroe…all close to the Merritt /Wilbur Cross, Route 8 and 95
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut