Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 AM

7 posts, read 13,782 times

Advertisements

What should we consider buying a house (3-4 beds for $400-600,000) in Orange? We have two kids (9 and3). Work place in Downtown New Haven. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I don't really understand your question, what do you mean by what should you consider? Your price range looks spot-on for what you are looking for, the school system (Amity Regional) is very good, and the commute to New Haven will be a piece of cake.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
OrangeCT - You seem to have made your decisions. If you find a house you are interested in and are uncertain about its location, check with the town planning office. They usually will offer information on the neighborhood you are looking at. This includes things like that beautiful wooded area that can be subdivided into 50 lots across the street or flooding in that little drainage ditch at the back of your property. Orange is a great town with excellent schools. Good luck, Jay

Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 PM

JayCT, you got my point! Thank you. How can I contact to town planning office? Were should I look in NW or in the center, Rt 34 or next to Rt 1 ? Is any hills in the town? In what year most quality houses was constracted? Please sheer any knolege of buying a house in Orange, Ct. I am not familiar with oil heater, well water and sewer.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM

mels, I thank you so much for yore input. Is taxes the same all over the town?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangect View Post
JayCT, you got my point! Thank you. How can I contact to town planning office? Were should I look in NW or in the center, Rt 34 or next to Rt 1 ? Is any hills in the town? In what year most quality houses was constracted? Please sheer any knolege of buying a house in Orange, Ct. I am not familiar with oil heater, well water and sewer.
You can get the town's planning department number by checking on line on the town's web site. I would suggest taking some time and going into the office and talking to them directly. Get a map of the town to point out areas you are considering and they will be able to tell you about them. Orange is a pretty nice town and there are no areas to avoid really. Stay away from busy roads or undesirable neighbors (like having your home overlooking a shopping center parking lot or a poorly maintained home next door or nearby). I would also walk the neighborhood to look for any properties that might not be in as good of shape as the rest of the neighborhood.

Most homes in Orange were built with good quality so you should look for a home that meets your needs and is attractive to you. Make sure it has been well maintained and has had updates, otherwise you will be paying to replace things in the near future. Also look at many homes around town to determine which neighborhoods or streets you like or do not like. This is strictly your call. What one person likes may be different from anothers.

As for the dealing with an oil heater, well water and sewers or septic systems, have the home inspected by a good professional inspector. He will go over the place from top to bottom to help assure you are buying a home in good repair. You should plan to inspect the home with him so that he can advise you of problems and show you how things work. Your real estate agent should be able to give you a recomendation.

Always make it a condition of your offer that the home repairs not be more than a certain amount. Agents will try to tell you that is not how it is done amd wll try to word your offer to say that nothing major is required. But what if there is 40 small things wrong that total $50k to fix instead of one major thing that costs that amount. You still will need to spend $50k on the house to fix things. Finally get yourself a good lawyer who knows real estate and have him look at everything, even the offer letter. He can advise you how to word the offer in your favor. Good luck, Jay

Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Jayct, thank you for yore help. Is any house in Orange "For sale by owner "

Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 AM

There are websites that do For sale by owner listings. Check Isoldmyhouse.com and Forsalebyowner.com for listings. Also check craigslist.com as well. Jay

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Thanks so much , JayCt. You are the hero of this forum. Orange Ct.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 PM

51 posts, read 222,731 times
I don't know if I go along with the thought of staying away from main road areas.

U.S.1..cuts through Orange from Milford in the east/south all the way to West Haven in the North. All along this main street ecompassing several miles are side streets.....and there are many a desirable home along all of them. What makes Orange good for home owners is the fact that Interstate 95 is on one side of of Route 1............and the Merritt Parkway on the other. Getting to work would be impossible otherwise. That is not to say that during major shopping times getting in and out of the Route 1 area is not hard...because it is......but once here you'll know how to take advantage of the side routes that will also get you easily in and out of town. There are also several little known lake/pond waterfront areas off of U.S. 1.

Route 34 considered to be the backway...can connect you to Route 8 pretty quickly for ease of The Valley..( Derby..Ansonia..Seymor..etc. ).........and it will also take you into New Haven City itself after passing several well known areas...such as The Tennis Center ( where a well known Tennis Competition takes place every August )..and a shopping area for about anything that you may need !

Housing in orange is well kept up...and it also has a historical area of homes.....but for the most part..the homes in Orange are not all that HUGH..but .have been lovingly restored..enlarged and remodeled. You will not find many "bad Neighbors "....here ! Much nore a keeping up with the neighbors sort of attitude....that will also be expected of you. Not many trailers or boats or old cars to be found hanging around here !Clean..safe..quiet living for the most part !

Main hill is in the historical areas running from U.S.1 past the Merritt Parkway entrance and exits....on to Route 34.

Several areas of McMansions...built over the last few years..mostly on what was once farmland...in the northern areas....toward Route 34 .

Many houses already-been-expanded ranches.....splits...and some moderinzed colonials....3 to 4 bedrooms ....sleek kitchens...2 car garages...and enough yard to do your thing in......deck......pool......gardening ...whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut