Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Since you're only looking at the coastline and want easy access to shopping & good schools, I would recommend Greenwich, Fairfield, and Guilford. $2M in Greenwich won't get you much and you'd have to settle for a tiny yard but it is extremely close to New York City and the beaches/shopping are fantastic. Fairfield is great as a middle-of-the-road suburban community with a fairly sizable shopping area. Guilford is more of a classic New England town with big lawns and small town charm; shopping would be done in Madison, Clinton, and (a little bit down the line) New Haven.
Fairfield is not "middle of the road". That would be a town like Southington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Fairfield is not "middle of the road". That would be a town like Southington.
? You don't consider Fairfield a very suburban suburb? I would certainly call it that. The shopping area isn't huge and most of the residential areas are quaint and neighborly. The waterfront areas and Southport are the only places where Fairfield appears much more wealthy than a regular suburb.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
? You don't consider Fairfield a very suburban suburb? I would certainly call it that. The shopping area isn't huge and most of the residential areas are quaint and neighborly. The waterfront areas and Southport are the only places where Fairfield appears much more wealthy than a regular suburb.
Appearances can be deceiving. Let's overlay incomes and housing prices for Fairfield compared to CT state and national averages. Fairfield is hardly "middle of the road".

Also Greenfield Hill also underscores the very affluent notion, similar to Southport and waterfront neighborhoods.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Appearances can be deceiving. Let's overlay incomes and housing prices overall CT state and national averages. Fairfield is hardly "middle of the road".
Should have specified: I was not talking about price. I was talking about the feeling of the community as compared to typical American suburbs. It does not have the incredibly wealthy vibe that Greenwich and Westport give off nor is it rural. It's middle of the road for how families live. Very community-oriented but not a small town.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
I feel the same way about Greenwich. Really odd housing stock in much of town. Duplexes, small lots, raised ranches. Although prices say otherwise.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It has been the experience of everyone I know from Westport (roughly 10 people that I keep in contact with) that there is a lot more materialism here than other parts of the state. From what I've heard, it isn't necessary a rudeness among adults - but the kids at school get very competitive about how much their families have. One of my friends is a 6th grade public school teacher in Westport, so she sees it everyday.

Should it be a reason to completely avoid the town? No way, but it should be known that it's a factor to consider.
Wow.. Everyone you know?

I live in Westport. I see Westport every day too... I drive a Toyota Camry. I live in a condo. I don't see materialism here to any greater degree than I did in Austin-- Perhaps more in Austin where 30-thousand-aires drove BMW's and ate Ramen noodles for lunch.

When ever someone wealthy spends their money it's materialism? Should everyone drive a Camry? Or maybe a Ford Focus? I don't get it....

Although your consistent anti-Westport bias is noted, it doesn't seem like any reality I've ever experienced growing up here and living here...

Kids are nasty everywhere... Even in Madison.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Should have specified: I was not talking about price. I was talking about the feeling of the community as compared to typical American suburbs. It does not have the incredibly wealthy vibe that Greenwich and Westport give off nor is it rural. It's middle of the road for how families live. Very community-oriented but not a small town.
I think Fairfield and Westport both have a great sense of community, with active, engaged residents who really care about the town and the schools...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Not at all. Have you been to suburbs in mid America? Fairfield is friggen urban compared to that. They are wide, spread out, massive (MASSIVE) shopping centers, cookie cutter developments with hundreds and hundreds of homes.

You've been lower Fairfield County-ized, my friend.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think Fairfield and Westport both have a great sense of community, with active, engaged residents who really care about the town and the schools...
Oh, they certainly do. I think the vibe overall, especially when you look at the towns as an outsider, is much more wealthy in Westport than in Fairfield though. The different types of shopping districts seem to sum up the different tone each town has. Fairfield is much more "open air" with little galleries/restaurants down side streets and a quaint old time movie theater right in the heart of shopping. Westport is much more structured and imposing looking with most shopping on one major street and 3 side streets; the molding on the outsides of the shops is ritzy and pulls all of the shops together as a whole. Fairfield is more hodge podge outside of 1-2 blocks. (Not in a bad way; just with each store & restaurant in its own independent building/space/look instead of being tied together with similar frontage.) Not sure if OP is more concerned about the vibe of town or the price of housing...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not at all. Have you been to suburbs in mid America? Fairfield is friggen urban compared to that. They are wide, spread out, massive (MASSIVE) shopping centers, cookie cutter developments with hundreds and hundreds of homes.

You've been lower Fairfield County-ized, my friend.
Ha! Well, we are talking about Fairfield County! Outside of Trumbull there aren't very many suburban feeling towns here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut