Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to CT in the next two weeks. I am looking for any advice about rentals. House would be better but could settle for a basic 2 bed apartment or town house for 6 months to look for some thing better. Not rolling in cash and just went thru a deed in lue with mortgage company to get out from under house in Pensacola FL (70K underwater). This of course did my credit score no favors but it not totally in the toilet. Any info about communities/county's within 45 min commute, with reasonable price and not in a combat zone.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
How much can you afford?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How much can you afford?
Also, what do you expect to get for your money? Do you have children? Are schools important? What type of community do you want to live in? Without this information it is hard to direct you to live somewhere.

Off hand however I would suggest looking for a rental in Bridgeport itself. It is the most affordable area and there are a lot of rentals available. You will have to be careful obf neighborhoods however. Black Rock is a beautiful seaside urban village that many people like. There are many nice shops and restaurants and a beautiful waterfront park (St. Mary's by the Sea) there. Try to stay west of Ellsworth Street though for the best neighborhood.

The North End is nice to. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants along North Main Street and 90 Acres Park is very nice there. Try to stay west of Main Street and north of North Avenue.

Beardsley Park is also nice. It has some good shopping and restaurants and a beautiful park that features a small zoo. Stay north of Boston Avenue though. Keep in mind though that these suggestions are no good if you need a community with good schools. Like any large city, Bridgeport schools have issue particularly in the middle and high school levels.

If schools are important than any of the neighboring towns could work. Fairfield, Easton and Trumbull are highly rated with students performing well above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Stratford schools are also decent but do perform lower overall. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Budget then recommendations. 45 minutes is a wide area.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Good luck with your new job. You are going to need it while working at St. V's. If you are a basic staffer (bottom end of pay scale) look into Black Rock & the North End of Bridgeport for rentals. If you're a technician or someone who makes approx. nurse wages take a look at Milford, Fairfield (area near Bridgeport), & Trumbull. If you're a doctor, check out Westport, Fairfield, & Easton.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
You are going to need it while working at St. V's.
What's wrong with St. Vs?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Good luck with your new job. You are going to need it while working at St. V's.
I have a few friends that work there and they rave about the good benefits they get,and they love their jobs.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have a few friends that work there and they rave about the good benefits they get,and they love their jobs.
Your friends probably have good educations and good jobs. Haha. I have a family member and 2 friends who work at St. V's (I'm originally from Bridgeport) and they can't say enough awful things about working at the place. On the plus side, they do get great medical benefits. It should be noted that none of them are medical staff or technicians and they do a lot of the "grunt work" of keeping the hospital running.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Your friends probably have good educations and good jobs. Haha. I have a family member and 2 friends who work at St. V's (I'm originally from Bridgeport) and they can't say enough awful things about working at the place. On the plus side, they do get great medical benefits. It should be noted that none of them are medical staff or technicians and they do a lot of the "grunt work" of keeping the hospital running.
I have two friends that are PAs at St V's and love it.

I think what you're referring to can be said for almost anywhere. Adults making $11/hour aren't going to be especially happy anywhere they're working.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I know several nurses there that really like it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut