Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 57,746 times

Advertisements

Its 10:30 Friday night, and when I opened my back door to call the cat, a deep snarl came from the back yard. We've had coyote sightings in the nabe, has anyone else actually had one growl at you?
PS the cat made it home safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
I've seen coyotes on.my property but haven't had any contact. My neighbor's dog was injured in a coyote attack.

I'm glad your cat is OK.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
One night I was out on the porch while the dog was having her last pee. The dog bolted for the stairs, and "something" appeared below me, stopped short, then took off. Too dark to see, didn't make a sound, but I always thought it was a coyote. One other time there was a small one napping near our shed (daytime) and when we came outside, it left. I believe that normally they would shy away from human contact, but lately it seems they're getting more acclimated to the suburbs and bolder. Scary to hear a snarl like that from your yard.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
A coyote attack on animals has been recorded in one neighborhood here in Danbury's east side and the town is working on getting a trapper.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 AM

22 posts, read 57,746 times
Should I report this to someone? It was very close to my house. Our neighbor saw the coyote in the road a couple of weeks ago. The snarl was right out of a werewolf movie.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbarrow View Post
Its 10:30 Friday night, and when I opened my back door to call the cat, a deep snarl came from the back yard. We've had coyote sightings in the nabe, has anyone else actually had one growl at you?
PS the cat made it home safe!
We are in Meriden CT and I did see a coyote walk thru our yard; not this year..talkin' last year. One of our neighbors owns a big piece of property not too far from our home and I do believe he takes his shotgun into the woods and takes care of "business". Coyotes can be rabid and it sounds like the one you saw might have been..either that or VERY hungry.

I called the police, game warden, animal control and anyone who would listen to complain about the coyote I saw..too many homes with domestic animals and children to not create a stir about seeing him.

Glad your kitty made it home. We don't let ours out..we have two and they stay inside..afraid of coyotes and other critters getting them.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbarrow View Post
Should I report this to someone? It was very close to my house. Our neighbor saw the coyote in the road a couple of weeks ago. The snarl was right out of a werewolf movie.
Yes..definitely report it. Animal control, game warden, police...someone who will do something. They can be dangerous.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Coyotes are carnivorous and will attack and eat small pets such as cats and dogs. Just use common sense and caution the same as you would with any wild animal, and don't leave your animals outside unattended. We have coyotes living in the woods around us, but we or our neighbors have never lost any of our pets to them. The police would be very busy if someone called them every time they saw a coyote. Coyotes come into our yard, but if I get near one it runs away. As Ct. becomes more and more developed we need to learn to adapt to living with wild animals.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 08-25-2012 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 AM

83,501 posts, read 75,252,292 times
DEP: Coyote Fact Sheet

Wildlife Division Email: deep.wildlife@ct.gov

Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Coyotes are all over the place. They love and thrive in suburbia. If you let your cat out, it becomes part of the food chain. As a small predator outside with larger predators, well, you get the picture. Same goes for letting dogs outside unattended. One of the reasons they like suburbia is that there is an endless supply of cats to eat and often a small dog out by itself - and people who leave out cat food which also attracts them.

There's not much point in calling anyone. They're not going to come and do anything about the coyote. That includes both local animal control and the DEP The only time you will get a response from your local animal control or the DEP is if there has been a bite between coyote and pet or human and coyote. Or if the coyote is acting obviously rabid.

A growl does not indicate rabies. A growl indicates fear or is simply saying stay away. Very few coyotes are ever rabid.

If you want to remove a coyote (s) then you have to take it upon yourself to call in and pay for a trapper.
Coyotes can also be hunted - check DEP website for rules and regulations .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut