Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:40 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

If you're asking me, I think splits look and work better. But I like big bungalows and ranches and am not a fan of colonials- so it's matter of what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think of raised ranches as being a cheap style (cheap to build) that was common to new developments around the 1980s.
They are still less expensive in this area and harder to sell. One thing is that someone could crawl directly into one's bedroom window since the windows are often at ground level.

What's very hard to get in this region is single level ranches with integral garages. Which is one major reason- besides snow- why so many people retire to the south.
I think the big heyday for raised ranches was the late 60's - early 70's. By the 80's people here in Connecticut were back to colonials. I agree that it is very hard to find nice ranches with attached garages. Here there is such demand for them or first floor masters that houses with them are sold within days. One came on the market in my neighborhood and was under contract on the first day for full asking.

Last year a larger ranch that was poorly remodeled and needed a lot of work came on the market and also sold quickly near full asking. I felt it was over priced since the kitchen and baths all were badly outdated or cheaply upgraded. Also it needed all new flooring. It was open concept but the kitchen had different flooring. It was close to what the rest of the room had but definitely different. There was a bonus room that had half tile, half wood. Not sure why. The kitchen cabinets were the original cheap oak that had been poorly painted and the appliances were mismatched. The dishwasher was newer but it was such a cheap model that it had a dail on it. Did not think they still made them anymore. The other appliance were either black or stainless while the dishwasher was white. All this made me wonder what other cheaply handled thing lied beneath this house. People just seem to overlook things to get a good sized ranch.

The thing I find funny is that builders here are still building tradition colonials with second floor masters. A new development here only offers one model with a first floor master and only a couple of those models appear to have been built. I guess families just want the master on the same floor as the kids bedrooms. Down south that seems to not been a concern. Jay

Old 03-25-2017, 02:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
My parents built a raised ranch in the mid-60s. The neighborhood has a mix of one-story ranches (with integral garages), raised ranches and colonials. I was the only kid at the time but I'm sure they were planning on 3-4 (ended up with 4 of us).

The basement was completely unfinished and they have the 2 car integral garage. I remember my dad building the rec room when I was little. They eventually had a dry bar, counter space with bookshelves above and cabinets below and a half bath. The smaller L portion was first an office and then became my room when I was 18 or so (3 girls and 1 boy in a 3 bedroom house was NOT fun for me!). Before the rec room was built, I remember my dad and his friends with a table down there for a model cars and trains.

The colonials in our neighborhood were much bigger. 4 bedrooms and completely finished. Those who had 6 kids always had colonials. I'm sure the raised ranches were much more affordable to those who didn't yet have a large family and/or had the capability of building the basement out themselves. Kind of like new capes with unfinished second floors (if they still do this - it was popular in the 90s).

All that said, a raised ranch was the one thing I said I didn't want to even see when we were looking at houses. They are not old enough for my tastes and I just don't like the style (same with the 1 floor ranches). (and sorry mom & dad!)

It is so weird to me to see new houses these days at 5000+ sq ft and only a kid or two. But that's a whole other topic.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Hate them, however they are absolutely EVERYWHERE. During our search it seemed every other house was a RR and they would sometimes sneak into the filtering on realtor sites. They would list them as colonials or something else and all you saw was a RR with a textured front (additional peaks or something) to make it look less boxy. At the end of the day you still had a house that you had to walk up steps to, then walk up or down more steps to actually get inside. There was nothing appealing about them at all and some towns definitely have more than others.

We had a friend recently purchase a RR that fits the bill for them which is all fine and good but I could never be comfortable in it. We found a perfect home that is a contemporary colonial that is a one-off build as most houses on my street are so no two are alike. Each lot was sold individually and built privately back in the mid 90's.

Here is an example of what I referred to above.

Cookie cutter RR

Updated RR

Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Mine in MA didn't look as boxy -- at least not to me -- but maybe that was because it was built into a hill. Or because -- coming from Canada -- I didn't see that many raised ranches in my lifetime.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
To each his own. Raised ranches are great even though I don't have one. A couple family/friends have them. Easy floor layouts on top level with spacious family/big screen TV rooms on the lower level and two car garages. Lower levels tend not to have water leak issues like many traditional basements in the state. Stairs are great exercise.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
To each his own. Raised ranches are great even though I don't have one. A couple family/friends have them. Easy floor layouts on top level with spacious family/big screen TV rooms on the lower level and two car garages. Lower levels tend not to have water leak issues like many traditional basements in the state. Stairs are great exercise.

Agree - to each his own. In addition, a RR offers good bang for buck when it comes to real estate taxes, as many towns do not include the lower level in the livable square footage, even though it absolutely is IMO. Therefore taxes tend to be less because the lower area is counted as "finished basement" space and is typically appraised/valued less than above-grade square footage. And unlike a colonial w/ a finished walk-out basement, where I still feel like I'm going down into a basement, I have never had that feeling in a RR. You either go up 4 steps to the main level, or down 4 to the lower level -- very cohesive flow IMO and easy layout to live with.

As far as them being "boxy," yes that is true. But then again so is my colonial.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
A RR has some convenient design features including a 'seamless' transition from the main floor to the basement. You just don't feel like you are going down to the basement in a RR as compared to most other house styles. Generally the stairs down to the basement in a RR are wide and well finished. Security is also enhanced as the main living space is elevated off of the ground and windows can be left open without creating easy access.

However, there are some awkward design features as well. The front door is very isolated. Most visitors will park on the driveway that is around the side and the front door is in the middle of the front of the house. Other visitors may approach the house directly from the road. Many RRs lack walkways because they often need to be so long (and include stairs to resolve the grade difference between the front door and the garage level drive). I think in many RRs, the front door is pretty much abandoned in favor of side access through the garage and up through the basement. This is not a welcoming way to enter a house. And older or less mobile people trying to enter the house will not be a pretty sight.

Since most of the living space is elevated high above the ground level, seamless access to the outside is left awkward. There may be a high deck off of a back facing kitchen or living area but that leaves the yard areas isolated from the house.

Finally, there are many examples of simple, regular 50s or 60s ranches that have been completely transformed into very stylish homes (for example in areas of extreme gentrification). RR's are much more difficult or impossible to transform into something new and contemporary with the times.

In summary, the design features required to better integrate the basement compromise the overall house design.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
So there are people who like raised ranches too?! It seemed like everyone was trashing them. Interesting.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
So there are people who like raised ranches too?! It seemed like everyone was trashing them. Interesting.
They do have some advantages.

There is often more property - For instance, the house is at least 40' to 50' wide, which means the property is at least 60' and often 75' wide. In other words, if you do not have the property you are not building a raised ranch (unless it is a inline), your going to build a cape or something else instead.

Easy to convert - one of the easiest houses to convert to a mother-daughter or a more private area for a teenager/young adult. And the bottom floor is not underground usually, so you do not have to worry about basement flooding issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut