Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM

837 posts, read 2,087,214 times

Advertisements

So my 2000 Toyota Camry pretty much bit the dust this morning. I won't know for sure until the garage is able to diagnose it on Tuesday (after Labor Day).

I have been eyeing a used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited for quite some time now, and with prices finally going down, it is now right on the cusp of my budget. Originally, I was going to pull the trigger next year on a 2011 model once the 2014's were out...but it seems like I need to make a decision now.

Although it's a bit pricier, I am hoping for a Certified Pre-Owned, for peace of mind, but may be forced to buy Non-CPO due to cost or logistics).

I am nervous as all heck since I've never done this before. Would fellow CT'ers be able to offer me words of wisdom?
  1. When I am negotiating prices with the dealer, what are some shady dealer tactics or buyer strategies that I should be mindful and aware of? How much leverage can I negotiate by? $1,000 perhaps?
  2. During the contract/paperwork signing process, can you folks tell me how this works and what are some things that I should be aware of?
  3. What are legitimate taxes, fees, and other services that will be added during the contract phase? I am trying my best to have all of the details laid out upfront, instead of the dealer trying to "surprise" me. FYI, I live in Connecticut but may purchase in NY or MA.
  4. What is the best means of trying to obtain Financing? Should I go through my primary bank (Bank of America), seek assistance from a local Credit Union, or financing directly with the dealership?
  5. What should I expect a ballpark Interest Rate of? My Credit Score is in the mid-to-upper 600's, and have never missed a payment. Your answers can help me gauge if I am in a good ballpark.
  6. In the State of CT, do I have a "grace" period to go and have my Car Registered?https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  7. This is a tricky Insurance question. I have Car Insurance now, but it's under my parents' name - the old Camry is technically under their name. My parents live in Texas now AND we've agreed that any car purchase will be solely under my name. I believe I need to secure Auto Insurance in my name right away. What is the best method of doing so? My agent doesn't come back to work until Tuesday, but I'm trying to gauge answers in advance.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,742,211 times
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and my g/f has the same Sonata as you want.

My Santa Fe has had some major transmission problems. It's been replaced twice now and seems to be working well but it's still early, less than 1,000 miles since last repair. I'm not sure what to think about it but I do have a 10 year warranty on it, that's probably my only saving grace.

The Sonata has been okay. Nice styling. The 4 cylinder is weak however. And no AWD really sucks around CT roads. You'll have second thoughts all the time in the winter. Snow tires don't do anything for you on this car, it's light in the first place.

So not to spoil your party but personally I wouldn't go with Hyundai right now if I had to do it over. Maybe I'm a lemon out of many happy customers. What would I have gotten? An older BMW. I know many people who love the cars.

I'd shop around many dealers and do so towards the end of the month. Work the dealers against each other. Some will not like it and make you feel like a jerk. That's okay, let them pass. There will be a few up for the game and will do their best to be the winner. It's just business. Use a radius of maybe 100-150 miles for contacting dealers.

I found credit to be tight when I bought. Maybe try to get pre-approval before you buy. Try a local credit union and your favorite local bank to get started.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 37,540 times
My advice would be to join consumer reports.org or maybe you can even look it up for free and check they're best/worst buys for used cars. They break it down by all price ranges. Do you have money saved up to buy something with cash? I got a 98 accord in april for 3K on craigslist. It's an awesome car and i hope it last a few years. In the mean time i put away money every month and eventually when it dies I'll get some better if I need to. To hell with car payments.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM

879 posts, read 1,663,859 times
We'll be getting a Sonata pretty soon - either a 2011 or 2012. I have no concerns about not having AWD in CT. I've driven a Honda Civic for the past 7.5 years and have never had an issue. I test drove the Sonata and it had substantially more pickup than I was expecting.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
We'll be getting a Sonata pretty soon - either a 2011 or 2012. I test drove the Sonata and it had substantially more pickup than I was expecting.
Smoke and mirrors. They calibrate the throttle to open more aggressively upon initial launch(i.e.: from a stoplight/stop sign) to make it appear "quick". That said, if the Civic had adequate enough performance for you, the Sonata's performance should suit you fine.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM

879 posts, read 1,663,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Smoke and mirrors. They calibrate the throttle to open more aggressively upon initial launch(i.e.: from a stoplight/stop sign) to make it appear "quick". That said, if the Civic had adequate enough performance for you, the Sonata's performance should suit you fine.
Exactly . The Civic's been a great car, and we wouldn't even be changing if the Civic had room for two carseats and a 6'3" driver (my husband). We're a practicality and affordability over performance family -- at least for now.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,929,152 times
Take a look at these two links:

Car Tips & Advice

Car Buying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut