Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 47,739 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for every elementary teaching job that becomes available for months and haven't had as much as a phone call. I'm highly qualified and certified in Louisiana and have 5 yrs teaching experience. So what am I missing? I am eligible for certification in CT. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!I would love to sub, but I have two small children that would have to be in daycare so that I can work. Subs get paid about what it would cost from me to have them in daycare.
My husband would like to relocate somewhere in Litchfield County. We are temporarily staying in New Jersey with my inlaws because our house in LA has not sold yet and I still don't have a job. We really don't want to stay in New Jersey and we are only here now so that our family can be together. My girls are 3 1/2 and 16 months and my husband missed my little one's 1st birthday and her first steps because of his relocation.
Any suggestions on what I should do, inexpensive childcare centers (not sure if I want to trust someone's in home child care), or preschool co ops in Litchfield County?
Thoughts on Litchfield County? Areas that are great? Looking to rent first...around $1500/month...
Anywhere I should steer clear of?
ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Giving that schools start this week, my chances of getting a job in a school are unlikely and I might have to wait until next school year :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You might look into getting a job at a parochal school at first. You could check for openings with both the Diocese of Hartford and Bridgeport. I am not sure where they cover. Litchfield County is beautiful but can be kind of rural. There may be some jobs in the larger towns like New Milford or Torrington but I would suggest thinking about working in Waterbury area and commuting from one of the towns in lower Litchfield if possible. Jay

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I think your problem may be that there is a big difference between licensed to teach in CT and eligible to be licensed. You're probably going to have to go through the effort to get an actual license . You seem to be waiting until you get a job and then will get a license. It doesn't work that way.

There are plenty of licensed, local residents who are applying for what regular elementary teacher jobs there are. Maybe if you had a specialization it might help.

Right now you're competing against actual residents who have licenses and there you are, not yet even living in the state and apparently not actually licensed to teach in this state. That could be why you're being ignored. Basically, from the point of view of those doing the hiring, you're not the best candidate.
You're not even getting a nibble in the application process, which should be telling you something.

Perhaps you need to decide if you're really committed to living in CT and willing to do whatever you need to do to get employed here or if you're on a fishing expedition just testing the waters.

Good luck- finding employment today is not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut