Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 15,349 times

Advertisements

andthentherewere3: I have called my state representatives more than anyone I know. Actually, people have become so "groomed" to accept all sorts of mistreatment, they seem to react to me as if I were the nutty one for calling.

kidyankee764: There goes that sarcasm again. Because you are missing the point, I will expand. Saying that the state cannot fix up something that represents it (not even to give the Education Center there a proper sign!) and then to turn over 115 Million to a hedge fund represents CT's priorities. As I said, Let them eat cake! Its odd how people support these programs even though a vast majority of the people are not benefited by them. Again, learned behavior to accept whatever is given. Low self esteem. And, as a state, CT is suffering from it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Haven't been there since I was a kid. Might go for curiosity's sake sometime. But if I can drive under an hour to the Bronx Zoo on a Sunday, I'll just go there. And that's one huge reason it doesn't get the $$$.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennedin View Post
The animals look half dead, the "habitats" are non-existent and the place looks like something out of a third world country. Grounds not taken care of, dirty all around, no signs on some buildings, moral low. My gosh, how depressing!
My friend who works at Beardsley would rip you to pieces if she heard that comment, hehe.

Sadly, Beardsley is Connecticut's only zoo and is the only conveniently accessible one for many other CT residents. Lack of upkeep is what happens when there's no competition. Weren't there rumors that Beardsley was going to shut down several years ago? I'm in the camp of having a zoo is better than no zoo.

As a Fairfield County resident, I would personally take the extra hour and travel to the Bronx Zoo. Neither zoo is in a glorious neighborhood but at least the Bronx Zoo has much more to offer compared to Beardsley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennedin
Every animal looked either crazy or bored to death, and one (the Longhorn) literally looked CLOSE to death!
Hilarious! I suppose the animals are a reflection of the lower-end Bridgeport residents; doped up and crazy.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Haven't been there since I was a kid. Might go for curiosity's sake sometime. But if I can drive under an hour to the Bronx Zoo on a Sunday, I'll just go there. And that's one huge reason it doesn't get the $$$.
This, exactly. Bronx is so close and FAR better. I'd go there.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
As a Fairfield County resident, I would personally take the extra hour and travel to the Bronx Zoo. Neither zoo is in a glorious neighborhood but at least the Bronx Zoo has much more to offer compared to Beardsley..
Bronx Zoo is worlds better, and its capped off perfectly, should you ever go, by going 3 blocks to 187th St, or Arthur Ave crossing it..NYC's 2nd Little Italy. Superb food.

As for the Beardsley Zoo, I saw it a few months ago, and it needs some money spent on it, but as other posters said, the hedge fund, Deloitte, UBS..are all a higher priority for the same limited tax revenues. I understand Malloy was dealt a tough hand, and the state cannot afford to lose those jobs, but Beardsley is also deserving of more funding.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 15,349 times
Exactly my point....everyone is admitting that the Bronx Zoo is better. Where is our pride of ownership? Shouldn't we want to make the Beardsley better? Shouldn't the state have money or motivation to fix the things that represent the state?

And I guess treatment of animals is "hilarious", as someone above said. Weird comment, and possibly a bit scary, like maybe that person is home kicking his dog out of the way.

The people on these boards do not represent the people I know in CT.

Farewell.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
First of all why would anyone compare the Beardsley Zoo and the Bronx Zoo. The Bronx Zoo is a world class zoo. It is enormous and attracts visitors from across the globe. The Beardsley Zoo is a small diversion. If you spend 2 hours there you have seen everything there is to see. It's a great place for people to walk around with toddlers or for camp field trips. It's like comparing Quassy to Disney. Yes, they are both amusment parks but come on...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Beardsley will NEVER be Bronx Zoo, but improvements would be welcome.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM

352 posts, read 781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennedin View Post
I don't know where to begin!

The staff had low moral, huffing and puffing thru work, and seeming totally exhausted. Cafe was filthy, and not many healthy options. The grounds are a wreck, dirty, messy, no grooming what so ever, dusty pathways, garbage on the floor, etc.... The animals exhibits....I would say that they are close to animal abuse. Every "habitat" is the same, CT plants growing out of control with dusty, dirt grounds. Every animal looked either crazy or bored to death, and one (the Longhorn) literally looked CLOSE to death!

I don't know if anyone has been to any other zoo in the country, but this one is the worst. And saying there are not enough funds if just ridiculous in light of the state giving 115 MILLION dollars to a hedge fund.

You know, people are too quick to make excuses for the government not doing the right thing, and justifying money going to the wrong places. You accept it, you get it.
Ugh, sounds like you were quite perceptive as to what's going on there.

My sister went a few years ago and also found it sad. She said the bears were just swaying their heads back and forth (indicative of boredom and lack of stimulation).

I do not attend circuses or visit zoos because I don't find them entertaining, I think they're depressing.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM

78 posts, read 135,661 times
Our family loves the beardsley zoo. We've had family membership for the past 3 years and go all the time. I know, it's not the Bronx Zoo, but it's worth the trip for a nice outing with the family for a few hours. It's the perfect size for our kids and we love the carousel, prarie dogs, tigers, and wet-land exhibit. Give it a break...they are doing the best they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut