Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM

173 posts, read 218,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennedin View Post
I took my children to the Beardsley Zoo today in Bridgeport and was shocked! The state of CT is always on these lists for the wealthiest, healthiest, etc... places to be, but this zoo is a dump.

The state of CT should be hiding under a rock over this place, especially when they just gave 115 MILLION dollars to a hedge fund!

The animals look half dead, the "habitats" are non-existent and the place looks like something out of a third world country. Grounds not taken care of, dirty all around, no signs on some buildings, moral low. My gosh, how depressing!

Let them eat cake, anybody?
Its a pretty sad zoo but good enough for 2 yr old! The Bronx Zoo is only like 45 mins - 1hr away I got membership there and it pays when you going a few times a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM

570 posts, read 471,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
Its a pretty sad zoo but good enough for 2 yr old! The Bronx Zoo is only like 45 mins - 1hr away I got membership there and it pays when you going a few times a year
Exactly. I am thankful for the Zoo. It is very basic, no frills. Not dirty, just not new. Simple to navigate for family. The carousel was fun. Man, some have become spoiled in society. Sorry it does not have light shows, wings of exhibits and gourmet food court. Geez, here I was thinking my 2 year old might like tigers, anteaters, crocs and snakes but he really focused on the weak food court. I hope all money goes to supporting animals and staff. Keep it simple.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I was there a few years back before our state budget crisis. .
OP probably hasn't been there in a few years either. Post was from 2012

Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 PM

34,693 posts, read 56,487,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Exactly. I am thankful for the Zoo. It is very basic, no frills. Not dirty, just not new. Simple to navigate for family. The carousel was fun. Man, some have become spoiled in society. Sorry it does not have light shows, wings of exhibits and gourmet food court. Geez, here I was thinking my 2 year old might like tigers, anteaters, crocs and snakes but he really focused on the weak food court. I hope all money goes to supporting animals and staff. Keep it simple.
Oh, so this. No one is claiming the this is a world class zoo. Nor does it have to be. It is a simple little zoo that offers an alternative to having to travel to the Bronx and deal with the nightmare that is New York with young children. Thhatvis all. Jay

Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 PM

712 posts, read 524,050 times
The Beardsley zoo is great! I prefer it to the Bronx zoo actually. Much easier to walk around, cheaper, and way less crowded and you can get really close up to the animals.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 13,500 times
We were at the Beardsley zoo on Sunday. First time for us. With a 2 years old it was plenty good. The food was cheap and we were suprised that there's no crowd. Awesome. Wanna compare it to the Bronx zoo? Lets compare the admission, too. For Beardsley its $15 for an adult and free parking. It was $30 bucks for our family. The Bronx zoo is $36.95 (according to the website) and $16 for parking. The Bronx zoo is beautiful, im not gonna take that away but should not compare the two..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 PM

33,798 posts, read 16,800,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh, so this. No one is claiming the this is a world class zoo. Nor does it have to be. It is a simple little zoo that offers an alternative to having to travel to the Bronx and deal with the nightmare that is New York with young children. Thhatvis all. Jay
I wouldn't call NY a nightmare, but there is nothing wrong than this local, modest zoo.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,971,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I've taken kids to the Bronx Zoo. It's not even close to a nightmare. Actually, it's always a great time.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 AM

9,817 posts, read 14,672,442 times
I've been to the Beardsley Zoo once and it was about a decade ago. It really didn't impressed me.

I've also been once to the Bronx Zoo. While I definitely found it impressive, I guess the impression wasn't so great as to entice me to return given that I haven't gone back.

Now that I'm thinking about zoos, perhaps I will go to the Bronx Zoo later this week, at leat to photographs many of the animals (if they allow it.) lol

I've also been to the National Zoo in Washington DC (or maybe its in a nearby town?), and that too wasn't all that 'wow.'

Hmm, maybe I'm not a zoo person. lol

Old 08-06-2017, 10:16 AM

34,693 posts, read 56,487,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wouldn't call NY a nightmare, but there is nothing wrong than this local, modest zoo.
Maybe you don't mind tons of traffic and throngs of people but it is not my idea of fun. That said the Bronz Zoo is great and I would not hesitate to recommend it for people to visit on occasion for a day trip but if you are a parent with young kids who just wants them to be able to see some animals up close for a couple of hours, the Beardsley Zoo is fine. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut