Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 19,812 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Considering a purchasing house in the Brooklawn area of Fairfield, near the golf course. The assigned HS is Warde, I'm wondering why Warde isn't ranked--while Ludlow is ranked 16th in all of CT:
Search Connecticut High Schools | US News

and

Fairfield Warde High School in FAIRFIELD, CT | Best High Schools | US News

Any opinions/thoughts from locals would be a great help!
I'm not sold on the Brooklawn area in general, for the same reasons that everyone else has mentioned: proximity to Bridgeport, house values generally lower/you get more house for your money here, etc...
But we absolutely LOVE the house.

We just want to be sure that spending close to $1mm is worth it in this area if we decide to sell 10-15 years down the road.

thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveNewEngland View Post
We just want to be sure that spending close to $1mm is worth it in this area if we decide to sell 10-15 years down the road.

Hell no.

For that coin, the neighborhood had better be Greenfield Hill or Southport.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
I went to Warde (well, showing my age but it was Fairfield High then) and loved it. My cousins went there and loved it. Almost all of them went on, or are going, onto great universities. There is little difference between Warde and Ludlowe honestly.

I like the Brooklawn area, but $1m I can't see that being real.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Thank you both for your replies!
The house was originally listed at $1MM but it's come down a little since then. I'm assuming it'll come down some more since it's been on the market for a little bit.
I believe that both schools are likely very similar/no difference, but the perception might be that Ludlowe is better, unfortunately.

So in general, the school and proximity to Bport automatically command lower home values in Brooklawn... similar to Stamford and Norwalk areas?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Wanted to add that we're not only concerned with resale value! Does anyone have any thoughts on Tomlinson Middle School vs. Fairfield Woods/Ludlowe Middle schools?
Thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
As long as you get the house for a good price, who cares? Just don't overpay and your investment will be fine.

Can't go wrong with any Fairfield schools.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
You can't really go wrong with the schools in Fairfield...even those that aren't rated as high are still excellent.

That being said, I would seriously reconsider spending $1MM on a house in Brooklawn. You are pricing yourself at the top of the range for that area, and most people spending that amount would never consider being so close to Bridgeport. With your budget, you have a ton of options around town.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
If it's directly adjacent to the country club, I don't think it's out of the question for it to be in that price range. There are some large homes there. I'm assuming that's the only place it could be?

Still, you would be the top dog neighborhood in that area.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Both Warde and Ludlowe perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Ludlowe does perform a bit higher but given the overall quality of Fairfield school's curriculum I would not be concerned. I do not trust or believe most ratings given in magazines. Look carefully at the list and you will see there are many excellent schools in Connecticut not even on the list while some not so great schools are. The criteria they use does not make a lot of sense. It assumes that all school systems are basically the same in quality and in offering AP classes. That is not true in Connecticut where the schools are very good (among the best in the contry). For information on schools here check the website below.

State Department of Education - CEDaR

That said, $1 million in the Brooklawn neighborhood is the very top end. I doubt there is a more expensive home there. In real estate they normally advise you to buy the lowest price home in the best neighborhood and avoid the most expensive home in a neighhood. The Brooklawn nieghborhood is stunning but its proximity to Bridgeport can turn off potential buyers. The fact that the OP is asking the same question proves this.

Personally I would not avoid the neighborhood but that is because I know it so well. We do have another regular on this forum that lives in Brooklawn and really loves it (Dazzelman where are you???). Only you can decide if the home is worth it or not. Just keep in mind that the neighborhood will likely always be considered less desireable than others in town. IF you are okay with that, then go for it. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM

You've all been so, so helpful--I really appreciate your responses. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut