Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM

184 posts, read 290,834 times

Advertisements

New Haven's is by far the largest, in terms of the size of the residential population that would identify as a "Downtown" population.

Unfortunately, most cities in the Northeast have downtowns that are at least partially if not completely cut off by highways from their surrounding neighborhoods. New Haven is in many ways an exception, as it is surrounded by a wealthy neighborhood on the north (East Rock and Yale), a small but vibrant "little italy" on the east (Wooster Square), and a diverse and thriving area to the west (Dwight and Edgewood), in addition to having its own downtown population base. To the south of course is the Route 34 highway, which cuts Downtown off from the neighborhood on the other side. All three of the areas that are still connected to Downtown are seeing major developments and gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
New Haven's is by far the largest, in terms of the size of the residential population that would identify as a "Downtown" population.

Unfortunately, most cities in the Northeast have downtowns that are at least partially if not completely cut off by highways from their surrounding neighborhoods. New Haven is in many ways an exception, as it is surrounded by a wealthy neighborhood on the north (East Rock and Yale), a small but vibrant "little italy" on the east (Wooster Square), and a diverse and thriving area to the west (Dwight and Edgewood), in addition to having its own downtown population base. To the south of course is the Route 34 highway, which cuts Downtown off from the neighborhood on the other side. All three of the areas that are still connected to Downtown are seeing major developments and gentrification.
Oh jeeze, you're back - and continuing to spread blatant lies.

New Haven has 95 jutting through the southern portion of downtown and it has 91 along the eastern side. So what the heck are you talking about?

Please provide us with stats that "downtown" New Haven has the largest population.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM

184 posts, read 290,834 times
Kidyankee, not sure if you have ever been to New Haven, but if you walk east from Downtown, you come across a beautiful -- and extremely expensive -- residential neighborhood called Wooster Square. It has coffee shops, markets, restaurants, beautiful tree lined, car free streets, and the largest farmers' market in the state year round every weekend. Even the churches and factories that once were located there recently have been converted into condominiums and apartments.

It isn't a big neighborhood, and yes, once you pass through it you hit I-91. But the other side of I-91 is an industrial area that isn't really part of New Haven, it is historically just an industrial zone between Fair Haven (which was a separate city) and New Haven. Walking from Wooster Square to Downtown is easy and there is even a large grocery store at the border of the two neighborhoods now.

Downtown New Haven has a population of at least 12,000 people, and that's not even counting Wooster Square, Dwight, or the lower part of East Rock which are a 10 minute walk from the center and in most cities would be considered part of "Downtown". I would be surprised if the other "Downtowns" in Connecticut could be considered to have anywhere near that number, with the possible exception of Stamford which up until the 1970s as a Downtown was far smaller than either New Haven or Hartford (and therefore has more residential structures near the center). Walk around any of these Downtowns on a Saturday - New Haven probably has more pedestrian activity than all the other city centers in CT combined, and doubled.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
New Haven has 95 jutting through the southern portion of downtown and it has 91 along the eastern side. So what the heck are you talking about?
95 doesn't go through downtown though. It probably did choke off its development down to the water though. I guess that's kind of the point. But for all intents and purposes, downtown doesn't intersect 95/91.

The only city that's successfully crossed the "highway divider" in CT is probably Stamford with Harbor Point and the Metro Center.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
95 doesn't go through downtown though. It probably did choke off its development down to the water though. I guess that's kind of the point. But for all intents and purposes, downtown doesn't intersect 95/91.

The only city that's successfully crossed the "highway divider" in CT is probably Stamford with Harbor Point and the Metro Center.
Sure it does...it's pretty much the southern line of downtown - especially if you include the connector highway that slices right into the heart of New Haven. The highway in New Haven is no further from "downtown" than Stamford or Bridgeport or Waterbury.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Kidyankee, not sure if you have ever been to New Haven, but if you walk east from Downtown, you come across a beautiful -- and extremely expensive -- residential neighborhood called Wooster Square. It has coffee shops, markets, restaurants, beautiful tree lined, car free streets, and the largest farmers' market in the state year round every weekend. Even the churches and factories that once were located there recently have been converted into condominiums and apartments.

It isn't a big neighborhood, and yes, once you pass through it you hit I-91. But the other side of I-91 is an industrial area that isn't really part of New Haven, it is historically just an industrial zone between Fair Haven (which was a separate city) and New Haven. Walking from Wooster Square to Downtown is easy and there is even a large grocery store at the border of the two neighborhoods now.

Downtown New Haven has a population of at least 12,000 people, and that's not even counting Wooster Square, Dwight, or the lower part of East Rock which are a 10 minute walk from the center and in most cities would be considered part of "Downtown". I would be surprised if the other "Downtowns" in Connecticut could be considered to have anywhere near that number, with the possible exception of Stamford which up until the 1970s as a Downtown was far smaller than either New Haven or Hartford (and therefore has more residential structures near the center). Walk around any of these Downtowns on a Saturday - New Haven probably has more pedestrian activity than all the other city centers in CT combined, and doubled.
I live minutes to New Haven and I'm in the city everyday.

That "industrial zone" is still very much New Haven. So is Annex - over the bridge - in case you forgot.

I'm still waiting for statistics that New Haven's "downtown" has a larger population than any other downtown in the state (and we're not talking "Yalies", we're talking permanent residents). Until you can provide those statistics, there is zero credibility.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:14 PM

36,939 posts, read 38,928,836 times
Now that we’re in 2020, has the largest, or most lively downtown in CT changed? If there’s a ranking of sorts, which one comes out on top today and which one has made the most improvements?

Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 PM

13,992 posts, read 13,772,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Now that we’re in 2020, has the largest, or most lively downtown in CT changed? If there’s a ranking of sorts, which one comes out on top today and which one has made the most improvements?
New Haven saw biggest improvement in downtown area nightlife capital of state with bars, restaurants, 20s and 30s crowd

Bridgeport see improvements downtown but at slow peace but steel point is taking off

Hartford seeing improvements downtown

Stamford it already there

Norwalk seeing improvements

Middletown seeing improvements

Danbury no clue

New London no clue

Meriden, New Britain, Bristol, West Haven, Torrington, Ansonia/Derby, Norwich no clue

Old 02-10-2020, 05:15 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New Haven saw biggest improvement in downtown area nightlife capital of state with bars, restaurants, 20s and 30s crowd

Bridgeport see improvements downtown but at slow peace but steel point is taking off

Hartford seeing improvements downtown

Stamford it already there

Norwalk seeing improvements

Middletown seeing improvements

Danbury no clue

New London no clue

Meriden, New Britain, Bristol, West Haven, Torrington, Ansonia/Derby, Norwich no clue
Norwalk has been an odd one in the last 10 years.

I think SoNo has actually declined in popularity. Lots more turnover and vacancies. Some staples are now gone. Hasn't felt as lively when I've visited lately. Nearby on West Ave things are improved. That used to be a dead zone and has some great eateries, new apartments. But even that area is a mixed bag.

Then you have the new mall. That's not helping as it's further diluting the retail and dining of the city, but isn't a walkable place that's connected or adding to any neighborhood. I think it will be seen in the future as a big mistake on the part of the city approving it.

Norwalk just feels a bit disjointed lately. Like it's not sure what it wants to be. SoNo used to feel very much like its heart, but maybe not anymore. And don't get me wrong, I like Norwalk. It has more character than Stamford.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,148,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Norwalk has been an odd one in the last 10 years.

I think SoNo has actually declined in popularity. Lots more turnover and vacancies. Some staples are now gone. Hasn't felt as lively when I've visited lately. Nearby on West Ave things are improved. That used to be a dead zone and has some great eateries, new apartments. But even that area is a mixed bag.

Then you have the new mall. That's not helping as it's further diluting the retail and dining of the city, but isn't a walkable place that's connected or adding to any neighborhood. I think it will be seen in the future as a big mistake on the part of the city approving it.

Norwalk just feels a bit disjointed lately. Like it's not sure what it wants to be. SoNo used to feel very much like its heart, but maybe not anymore. And don't get me wrong, I like Norwalk. It has more character than Stamford.
I know some of the restaurateurs that tried to plant their flag in SoNo... Between the Parking Authority going absolutely haywire and the landlords thinking they can get the going Stamford rates it has gotten a lot harder to pull a dime. Now only the big ones that can handle the decent lunch crowds are floating, everything else is struggling hard. But really, the Parking situation has strangled a lot of the oxygen for growth.

As for being disjointed, it always sorta has been? They've been wanting to have a lively corridor between SoNo and Downtown for decades and it just always falls short. It's simply not a particularly friendly road for pedestrian nor car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut