Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM

691 posts, read 1,151,809 times

Advertisements

Not only do we pay taxes on the right to own a vehicle in this state (and use our wonderful, super-efficient network of roads.....), incur insanely high DMV fees, and have the highest gas tax in the nation, but...

Just checked into the fees for filing a small-claims action. $90 to file, and $1 per page if you need a court clerk to photocopy any court records! For purposes of comparison, NY's filing fee is either $15 or $20, and NJ's is $35.

FREAKING RIDICULOUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM

21,651 posts, read 31,262,120 times
You get that money back from the defendant if you win. If you don't win, you shouldn't have applied in the first place.

Makes sense to me.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,882,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You get that money back from the defendant if you win. If you don't win, you shouldn't have applied in the first place.

Makes sense to me.
How many people actually successfully collect the judgement that they're awarded in small claims? I'm going to take a wild guess that quite a few people don't collect what they've been awarded.

In keeping with the theme of the OP's thread, i'll add my own little minor irritant. The $40 "administrative fee" that DMV charges you on your new vehicle. If you're going to charge me for 2 emissions tests, then damnit i want them to be performed. Nothing but a complete money grab by the state.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Oh, I fully realize it'll be returned. It just blows my mind that our small-claims fees are so astronomically high relative to surrounding states.

Collection won't be an issue. I'm suing 3 major banks for overdraft fees incurred throughout the past few years (six year statute of limitations). Within a few days of receiving the summons, they settle for a complete refund of all fees.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,150,821 times
Or....you could not bounce checks to begin with...

Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 PM

21,651 posts, read 31,262,120 times
If you name the court fees in your lawsuit (which is an obvious request), then you will be awarded upon winning.

Re not collecting what's awarded - that doesn't have much to do with the OPs complaint, as they wouldn't receive any of the reward - not solely court fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Or....you could not bounce checks to begin with...
LOL - seriously...

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Actually, this doesn't involve a single bounced check. This is about their 'courtesy overdraft program' where, for example, I'd exceed the balance in my checking account, and they'd pull the money from my savings account (where I leave 90%+ of my money). So, I'd wind up getting charged a $36 overdraft fee when given the 'courtesy' of pulling the funds for my $2 coffee from my savings.

Banks, until recently, never gave consumers the option to opt in or opt out of this 'courtesy'. Obviously I would have much preferred that the charge for my coffee was denied instead of it going through and having it cost me $38. That's called a contract of adhesion.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,150,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Actually, this doesn't involve a single bounced check. This is about their 'courtesy overdraft program' where, for example, I'd exceed the balance in my checking account, and they'd pull the money from my savings account (where I leave 90%+ of my money). So, I'd wind up getting charged a $36 overdraft fee when given the 'courtesy' of pulling the funds for my $2 coffee from my savings.

Banks, until recently, never gave consumers the option to opt in or opt out of this 'courtesy'. Obviously I would have much preferred that the charge for my coffee was denied instead of it going through and having it cost me $38. That's called a contract of adhesion.
Sure.. That's a perspective. However, you could also choose to maintain an accurate register-- or just throw some extra money in your checking account.

To me the basic fact is: You're not supposed to overdraft your account. Period. It's actually illegal to bounce a check. Obviously, your situation is more complex-- In then end I do two things.... I keep extra money in my checking AND I keep an accurate register. If this involves more than one bank, you obviously knew the consequences of overdrafting and choose to ignore them...

I think you're suit is a great example of why a slightly higher filing fee is necessary (with perhaps waivers granted for folks with true need) to keep nuisances out of the courts...

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

240 posts, read 537,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Not only do we pay taxes on the right to own a vehicle in this state (and use our wonderful, super-efficient network of roads.....), incur insanely high DMV fees, and have the highest gas tax in the nation, but...

Just checked into the fees for filing a small-claims action. $90 to file, and $1 per page if you need a court clerk to photocopy any court records! For purposes of comparison, NY's filing fee is either $15 or $20, and NJ's is $35.

FREAKING RIDICULOUS.
Those taxes are paid to the town.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 AM

214 posts, read 290,458 times
New Jersey and New York are also where all the idiots live. The smart people live in Connecticut! :P

So frankly, the high cost of doing things here is way worth it!

Last edited by Off-beat; 10-23-2012 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut