Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,850 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of moving from NYC to Fairfield. We really like the Fairfield Beach area for it's proximity to the train and restaurants. We noticed there's a dump/transfer station in the neighborhood. Has anyone heard of this being a problem for residents? Also, are there problems with college students and parties?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
College students and parties, heck no. Most college students can't afford to live in that area. Black Rock is a bigger college destination.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Not true. There are condos on Fairfield Beach Road that are rented by students, and some student rent houses in the Reef Road area. The beach is a major selling point for Fairfield University.

The town/gown problem waxes and wanes. It also depends what part if the Beach Area you live in. Up more toward Penfield Road anf Beach Road, there's little to no issue with students, but closer to Reef Road it becomes an issue.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree. Fairfield Beach still has many homes owned by old time families who use them in the summer and rent them to Fairfield U students in the fall, winter and spring. This has been going on for decades and some newer owners feel students should not be allowed in their now upscale and pricey neighborhood. The problem is that many long time owners could not afford to keep their properties which have been in their family for years without the rental income. The university and students have tried to tone things down but with each new crop there are issues.

As for the transfer station, I do not think it is a problem but depending on where in the Fairfield Beach area you live it could be seen or cause traffic. There is also a sewage treatment plant in the area that may be an issue but again it is limited to those homes closest to it. Jay

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Fairfield Beach still has many homes owned by old time families who use them in the summer and rent them to Fairfield U students in the fall, winter and spring. This has been going on for decades and some newer owners feel students should not be allowed in their now upscale and pricey neighborhood. The problem is that many long time owners could not afford to keep their properties which have been in their family for years without the rental income. The university and students have tried to tone things down but with each new crop there are issues.

As for the transfer station, I do not think it is a problem but depending on where in the Fairfield Beach area you live it could be seen or cause traffic. There is also a sewage treatment plant in the area that may be an issue but again it is limited to those homes closest to it. Jay
The problem really started when the area transformed from a neighborhood of beach bungalows, used only in the summer, to expensive year-round residences. In the former situation, the students were never around when the other residents were around, so there was no conflict. Now, you have students living among people who paid a lot of money for their homes, and don't want to deal with all the craziness.

Honestly, this is one reason I always avoided the beach area. I personally don't put a premium on being right on top of the water. There are many liabilities to it -- heavy traffic in the summer, lots of noise, vulnerability to major storms. But for some people, living near the beach is a lifestyle that is worth all of that.

The OP should bear in mind that the beach area is a large and diverse area, and much depends on what section of the beach area is being looked at. The further east you go, generally, the better it is. So the area near Reef Road is the junkiest, and it gets really nice as you get up toward Beach Road. Also, being a block or two in from the beach makes a big difference. The houses tend to get more bungalowish as you get within a block of the beach, while further back it's nicer.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,318 times
Just read the police blotter - there's at least 1 party each week that gets broken up by the police after noise complaints. But I think the other poster's were good with locations to avoid - whether it's college kids or the issues from the dump/treatment plant. I've been to the dump quite a bit over the past 5 years at varying times throughout the year, and rarely smell anything in the area.

Besides that, depending on your budget you might be surprised at what's affordable down there. $1MM won't go very far, compared to what you can get elsewhere in town.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Just read the police blotter - there's at least 1 party each week that gets broken up by the police after noise complaints. But I think the other poster's were good with locations to avoid - whether it's college kids or the issues from the dump/treatment plant. I've been to the dump quite a bit over the past 5 years at varying times throughout the year, and rarely smell anything in the area.

Besides that, depending on your budget you might be surprised at what's affordable down there. $1MM won't go very far, compared to what you can get elsewhere in town.
The Beach Area is very expensive, expecially the good part of it.

Even the dumpy part near Reef Road is a bad value, IMO.

The treatment plant is closer to the bad part of the Beach Area. I don't think it would be an issue if you go further east.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,450 times
The beach is pretty nice but you have to pick your spots. It's nothing like the Jersey Shore or anything, so don't worry about that. There are some college flophouses still around, but a good realtor should be able to steer you clear of those. The beach area is highly desirable, in my opinion.

There are also many other neighborhoods in town and the beach parking passes are only $20 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut