Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 43,870 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am brand new to the world of "posting a new thread" - please bear with me...

My family is planning a move to CT. We are focusing on the Ridgefield, Wilton, Westport area. We are currently leaning toward Ridgefield. Love the small town, schools, etc. My husband will commute into NYC (near Grand Central.)

Anyone out there have any advice for what area of Ridgefield provides the best commute into the city? We are thinking that we want to live relatively close to town and be able to enjoy it. I am a bit concerned with the distance from town to the high school (we have four children.)

Anyone out there with any wisdom to share?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 AM

66 posts, read 346,803 times
Smile Ridgefield to NYC

I lived in Ridgefield for 11 years but worked in Norwalk. However I did my Ph.D. in NYC and did have clients in NYC so I did go in several times a week as my job as a CPA (accountant) demanded. The best area would be west of Route 33 or Route 116. If you are more north towards the high school go 116 to 123 to 138 I believe. That will take you to the Golden's Bridge NY station of the Harlem Line of Metro North. If you live more south take 35 across to Katonah Station. The train is about an hour ride from those two stations and have frequent trains. Branchville section of Ridgefield has a train line but it does not run that frequent. Door to door commute would be about 1 hour for train, 20 minute drive to station, 15 minutes leeway (park car, walk to platform, get a space, etc.) and 15 minutes from GCT to where ever if he is close. You need to contact either station for a parking pass way in advance I forgot the cost for a year.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 44,528 times
Hi krmh,
You're making a great choice in choosing Ridgefield. I would follow outofct's advice as far as commute.
As for the high school, I live near town, and it's about 15 minutes to drive to Ridgefield High School. There should be a bus, though, that takes your kids to and from the high school each morning so the distance shouldn't be too much of a concern.
Ridgefield is great; great schools, friendly people, very safe, and it's beautiful.
Good luck and I hope I helped a little bit.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 43,870 times
Default Follow up question - Ridgefield

Hi. Quick question on Ridgefild. Is there any quiet "division" in town....north vs south, one middle school vs another, etc? In the town where I am now, there is a definite nothside southside division. It is truly based on what side of the tracks you live on...it probably began many years ago with the train and continues.

I have read that there are some "economic differences"...what does that mean?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM

73 posts, read 418,304 times
There aren't any geographical divisions in our town. The South side commutes to Metro North via Rt.7 to Westport or South Norwalk..the north side to Katonah or Guldens bridge via Rt.33. I commuted from town to the NYSE from here every day for 6 years,
then later to the GCT area for 4, the to Stamford for another 3. I am unaware of any
"economic" differences of note...there are some wealthy families and some not so wealthy. I do not think there are any truly "poor" people here. I do believe there is a demographic group that is suffering, seniors, and there are like everywhere else some families that are economically distressed.
Most of my friends commute to Katonah...about 20 minutes on the HART bus,then a 55 minute ride..the HART bus leaves Jesse Lee Church starting at 5am each morning, and buses meet the trains in the evenings...e-mail me your address privately, I have a copy of the bus/train schedule...Dan

Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 46,480 times
Ridgefield is a pleasant picturesque town with working professionals (both men and women). I do know that a number of children in town are brought up by nannies, but this is not the norm. Just putting it out there that youre children will be exposed to this lifestyle. Ridgefield also has many middle class residents but they are quickly being squeezed out.

Nice town, good schools and easy access to Katonah Metro North, Danbury and lower FFLD County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut