Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sighhhh.... Nep, what are we going to do with you? The dating world has changed a lot in the last 20 years. The days of going to a bar and meeting the person of your dreams is long gone, if it ever really existed. Most young people today meet up on line or through organized social programs. The bar scene is too scary for anyone serious in finding a real relationship. If you want to find a better bar scene, head to New Haven. It might be worth the trip. Otherwise I think you need to move to a large city like New York. Good luck, Jay
Please stay on topic; the OP's original question was if he'd be screwed by heating costs if staying in CT.

Thank you

Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What does ANY of this have to do with heating costs in Connecticut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Please stay on topic; the OP's original question was if he'd be screwed by heating costs if staying in CT.

Thank you
The OP himself changed the route of his own thread. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that -- his own question evolved, that's all.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Nep, at some point in time, you're going to have to organize your priorities. You really need to develop a step by step road map of where your life is going.

On one hand you've posted many times about the type of home and place you want to live. Nice, house, good shape, well built, but in a more country type location, on a little land, you don't want anyone behind you, etc.

On the other hand, you want to be near gay bars, near an area where you can meet lots of other gay people. For anyone, gay or straight , meeting other young people usually means living in a densely developed area, that means in or near a major city. You need a concentration of people.

Perhaps you should consider a move to heavy gay area like Ft. Lauderdale, especially the city of Wilton Manors, just north of Ft.Lauderdale. It's considered to be a gay city.

Maybe the search for Mr. Right needs to come first. Hopefully, you would find someone who thinks as you do and if and when in stable relationship, then make the move to the country.

However, salaries in FL in general do match those in CT, while living costs are no longer cheap there . It is warm there though.

Either that or move yourself both in job and housing close to New Haven, which seems to have a much greater young person presence than Hartford. Maybe put off buying for the time being.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The OP himself changed the route of his own thread. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that -- his own question evolved, that's all.
It was an attempt at humor; however, I think that nep's issues are a little deeper than all of the city data psychologists combined can rectify.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Well, now I am willing to live in a more densley populated area...just nothing like the scale of NYC, which is too much for me to handle. Bottom line: I want to live in a densely populated area where the main mode of transportation is a car. It's okay if the area is a little fast paced, like CT, but not overkill like NYC. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Many of you have suggested New Haven, and although it does have a remarkably better nightlife than Hartford, the gay dating pool there is really not much different in terms of size. Trust me.

But from my experience, having lived in a MAJOR metro area (NYC), there are more professional, educated gay men. My theory is that the go-getters don't stick around in CT, and instead migrate to nearby Boston and NYC. That's the problem with CT....it's too close to Boston and NYC, so the gays just flock to those cities instead of investing themselves into CT. There is truth to this notion, when compared to other metro areas of similar size, that are more isolated than Hartford. For instance, the Rochester metro area is about 1 million people (vs 1.2 million in Hartford) and is very isolated, yet it has MUCH more gay men. What the hell? Another example is Westchester County, NY. There are barely any gay men there, because they simply move to nearby NYC.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
This thread seems to have gone off topic. I am therefore closing it. Thank you for your posts. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut