Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 AM

41 posts, read 78,789 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed a severe decrease of XM radio reception in recent months? I used to have excellent reception during my drives to and from work on the merritt (fairfield co.). Since the summer, its become intolerable...static in and out. I'm pretty sure its not an equipment issue on my end.

Also, I read on the XMfan forums that SiriusXM is rumored to be undergoing a technology upgrage between 2012 and 2015, and that they are/did shut down their terrestrial repeaters while upgrading from XM 1.0 to XM 2.0. Possibly...this is actually happening. If so, its time to cancel my subscription.
Thank you.
-a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbee View Post
Has anyone else noticed a severe decrease of XM radio reception in recent months? I used to have excellent reception during my drives to and from work on the merritt (fairfield co.). Since the summer, its become intolerable...static in and out. I'm pretty sure its not an equipment issue on my end.

Also, I read on the XMfan forums that SiriusXM is rumored to be undergoing a technology upgrage between 2012 and 2015, and that they are/did shut down their terrestrial repeaters while upgrading from XM 1.0 to XM 2.0. Possibly...this is actually happening. If so, its time to cancel my subscription.
Thank you.
-a
I'm in the Hartford area but have noticed the same thing, driving around here and other parts of the Northeast.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Do you have a built in receiver or portable?

I have an old Sirius receiver and direct connection into aux port and still have a very good signal unless in area with heavy trees and mountains where I might get a loss of signal for 10 to 15 seconds.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
I had an XM receiver up until a few months ago. It did cut out on the Merritt going south from Hamden to West Haven. I didn't have the issues heading north so I attributed it to the trees blocking the line to the satelite.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I have not realy had a problem. We drove 4 hours up to Vermont recently and did not have any issues. I do notice somtimes losing a signal with heavy tree cover but that happened before too. If you have a problem with the service, call them. You pay enough for the stupid thing to not get the best service possible. Jay

Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM

276 posts, read 589,344 times
I have noticed occasionally that around the Trumbull area my Sirius will drop for a second here or there. Nothing too bad though, only mildly annoying...

Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
I reactivated mine the other day. So far, i haven't experienced any issues with dropped signals on the Merritt(between Trumbull and Stamford). The only spot where i regularly lose the signal is in the 1400 block of Congress Street in Fairfield.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
I've noticed it has been giving me issues on the Merritt around Sikorsky and when driving around Stratford/Shelton

Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 AM

41 posts, read 78,789 times
Thank you all for your replies. From what you are saying, most of you are experiencing occasional drops or static. Thats not what Im experiencing. My XM radio is static 80%, audio 20% of the time, and it only started happeneing recently. Coincidentally, around the same time that XM "supposedly" shut down its repeater network. I guess I will take another stab at troubleshooting my radio. Its 4 years old, maybe its just on its last leg (as we all know, in the land of consumer electronics...4 years is an eternity).
Thanks again for your replies.
-a

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,663 times
I'm wondering if they've done the upgrade and now certain frequencies are losing out. Way back when something similar happened with 1st gen portables. I think this bc I have an older alpine headunit and the XM box attached (not portable) in one vehicle and I experienced the same diminished quality (used to be fine). Yet in my 2 month old car the same exact commute (nw ct to hartford) the XM is clear and wonderful. So it's not your equipment being broken per se but I think it's an equipment issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut