Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
x2.
Make that 3.

If anything, I thought any rattles or shakes were attributed to my home theater subwoofer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ahhh, my Facebook people love a good natural "catastrophe." Here's some more self-mocking:

So funny! I felt nothing in East Haven, but was outside walking at the time, so maybe that is why.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM

33 posts, read 45,394 times
Earthquakes in CT?? Do people have earthquake insurance out there?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I felt nothing.

My ex used to tell me that I have nerves of steel, but I thought she was just trying to flatter me. However, all of these earthquakes in less than one year and I haven't felt a single one is making wonder about things...

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM

33 posts, read 45,394 times
How many earthquakes have struck CT in the past year?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortRyan View Post
Put it this way.. This is since 1973. But before than there was lack of historical or instrumental reports available so only the big ones were documented.

Historic Earthquakes
Largest Earthquake in Connecticut

The region around East Haddam, on the Connecticut River northeast of New Haven, has been the scene of a series of local disturbances since this country was settled. The region southeast of Middletown has been referred to in Indian tradition as Morehemoodus, or "place of noises." The first reported earthquake began on May 16 with two heavy shocks in quick succession. Stone walls were shaken down, tops of chimneys were knocked off, and latched doors were thrown open. A fissure several meters long formed in the ground. In a short time, 30 lighter shocks occurred, and more than 100 continued during the night. Reported felt at Boston, Massachusetts, and New York City, New York.

Connecticut

Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
There was one about this time last year that everyone I know felt (except for me, of course) and now another one.

I'm not the superstitious kind, but the whole Mayan thing and December 2012 certainly is entertaining, if you know what I mean...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I felt it in North Haven. At first I thought the same thing I thought when last year's "hit." "Oh - a convoy of trucks on the highway overpass three blocks from our house." And then it happened again, not even a second later, and I recognized it as the same thing that happened last year.

But since it was so faint I didn't even bother checking to see where it actually hit. Now I know!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure 3 earthquakes were felt in CT in the past year. Only 1 was centered in CT (August I believe?), specifically in Old Greenwich. So, yes, we do have tremors here, but nothing as serious as what they experience out west. I'm assuming the middle of the country since that's where almost no earthquakes happen (between TX and ND).

Believe it or not, after a little research, a US Geological Survey ranked New England between a low-medium (southern CT) to moderate-high (northern New England) risk for earthquake losses. Northern New England has the same moderate risk as inland California.

That said, the tremors here are not serious enough to require earthquake insurance. Most people in California don't even have it due to the prohibitive costs of coverage.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
More on the History of CT and Quakes. All of it is interesting but I bolded a few points.

95.05.01: Geology of Connecticut

EARTHQUAKES/ FAULTS

With plates colliding and breaking apart, numerous faults and earthquakes are inevitable. One of the most famous faults in Connecticut is the eastern border fault which begins south of New Haven (the exact origin is under water) and extends for 130 miles north to Keene, New Hampshire. Though inactive for 140 million years, it helped to create the Connecticut Valley. Prior to this sporadic earthquakes along this fault lowered the valley and raised the eastern hills. The Eastern Border Fault is further evidenced in the tilt of the valley outcrops easily seen in the numerous roadcuts. The tilt of rock strata dips toward the east at about 15-25 degrees. This tilting has directly affected our mineral industry. Wherever erosion has caused a tipped basalt layer to jut out of the ground, a traprock ridge has formed. (Bell, 1985) (Little, 1986)

Wherever you are in Connecticut, an old inactive fault is no more than five miles away. Earthquakes can also strike in these area, far away from plate boundaries, and though the potential is there, Connecticut is at low risk for earthquakes to occur, until tectonic movements again interfere. (Johnston, Kanter, 1990)

From 1568 1989, 1214 earthquakes were recorded within New England. As far back as 1558, the native indians reported of quakes hitting Connecticut. In 1638, an earthquake frightened the pilgrims. In 1727, an earthquake was felt from Maine to Delaware. (NESEC, 1993)

The most famous area in Connecticut when it comes to earthquakes is Moodus. This is the only active region in our state today. The indians heard noises caused by swarms of quakes and created much folklore around them. Beginning in 1980, swarms of a few hundred quakes have occurred here, but these were mostly detected only by seismic instruments. (Little, 1985)
If an earthquake does hit Connecticut, the results will be somewhat different then that of a California quake. Our bedrock is harder and transmits seismic waves over an area from four to forty times greater than that of California. Also, more people will be at risk here due to lack of protective building codes. (Mass. Emergency Management Agency, 1994)

PLATE TECTONICS

When discussing the plate tectonics of Connecticut, it is vital for students to have a bedrock map of Connecticut. This can be obtained from the Department of Environmentals publication and map division. This map comes in a variety of sizes (postcard size on up). It shows the different terranes, bedrocks and faults. It is color coded for easier interpretation.

Our history can be summed up in two words crunch and crack. At one time, Connecticut was somewhere between 500 -3000 miles across, but today Connecticut is only about 100 miles across. This is due to the formation of the giant supercontinent called Pangaea. (Bell, 1985)

Prior to the formation of Pangaea, the Atlantic Ocean did not exist. Instead, another water body called the Iapetos Ocean existed between the land masses of Proto North America and Avalonia. (DEP,1990)

From 450 to 250 million years ago, during the Paleozoic Era, several plates collided (crunch) to form the giant supercontinent called Pangaea. Connecticut was located in the middle of this and was vastly changed. Aside from the previously mentioned reduction in size, the Appalachian Mountains formed. At one time they were the worlds largest. It is estimated that they were between 20,000 to 30,000 feet high.(Bell, 1985)

During this episode of plate collision, Avalonia, a continent believed to be part of the African plate collided with the continent of Proto-North America. This action closed up the Iapetos Ocean and its subduction zone. This big crunch initiated processes of deformation and metamorphism, thus creating schists, gneisses and granites which are exposed today in our state. (DEP, 1990)

Further evidence for this continental collision comes from the analysis of the terranes that make up Connecticut.Also, the rocks within these terranes provide even more conclusions. The marble found in the marble valley of connecticut (an area in the north-western part) is evidence of the former Iapetos Ocean. Marble forms from the metamorphism of limestone and limestone forms when beds of shells, corals and lime-rich muds become cemented together. A large shelf called a carbonate bank forms from this in tropical ocean waters. Due to this marble it is thought that the carbonate bank found along the eastern edge of the Proto North America terrane formed in this manner. (Bell, 1985)

Along with this is the fact that Pangaea and thus Connecticut was located far south from its current condition. Located closer to the equator with a climate similar to Central America. This created a tropical paradise in Connecticut. (Bell, 1985) At the time that Pangaea formed, the oceans supported most of the plants and animals. Our crust is forever shifting and even though plates may move on the average only one inch per year, this is a constant process. About 200 million years after Pangaea formed, the tectonic processes reversed and Pangaea began splitting apart (Connecticut geologists refer to this as the Great Crack). This occurred during the Mesozoic Era. This breakup divided the Appalachians into a series of flat-bottomed rift valleys and high mountain ranges. (Bell, 1985)
At the time of the breakup of Pangaea, Connecticut had forests, dinosaurs and mammals. Fossil life will be discussed more in detail later on. Also, the Atlantic Ocean formed and is still growing today.(Little, 1986)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut