Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 PM

21,504 posts, read 27,753,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Frequent (yearly) big storms that cause major power outages in many towns might just convince me to stay here in Stratford, where we always seem to keep power. Knock on wood.
Same in Milford here by the coast. It's less densely wooded with less old growth for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Jeff Master's take:

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Sandy intensifying, headed towards Jamaica | Weather Underground

However, an alternative solution, shown by the ECMWF and NOGAPS models, is for the trough to inject a large amount of energy into Sandy, converting it to a powerful subtropical storm that hits New England early next week with a central pressure of 948 mb and winds near hurricane-force.

Last edited by nei; 10-23-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM

9,797 posts, read 14,643,341 times
Didn't we had a hurricane last year too?

Man, this Autumn feels like deja vu. Earthquakes, hurricanes, all we need is a freak snow storm to finish up the weirdness.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM

83,304 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Look what GFS decides to do... I thought the run was done after it went OTS... It pulls it back into Maine at the end of the week.

This is telling me there is so much blocking that it cannot go East into the Atlantic. This would just affect Maine and maybe NH on this run.

The 00z runs are tonight but I have a long day tomorrow so I'll just post an update in the morning and afternoon.

Also note... No hurricane and we get 20s and 30s at night... Hurricane and we stay seasonable afterwards.

Also note... Full moon next week.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM

33 posts, read 45,197 times
Not liking this!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Also note... No hurricane and we get 20s and 30s at night... Hurricane and we stay seasonable afterwards.

Also note... Full moon next week.
I'm curious why?

It would really be funny if we got a hurricane on the anniversary of Snowtober.......wow, a snowstorm on my birthday last year and a hurricane this year......why am I such a weather geek?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm curious why?

It would really be funny if we got a hurricane on the anniversary of Snowtober.......wow, a snowstorm on my birthday last year and a hurricane this year......why am I such a weather geek?
Yeah, you need to change your birthdate. LOL .. Or stop wishing when you blow those candles.

The cold front and trough would be over us if the cane goes OTS. But if the Cane hits us there is warm Tropical connection and the trough gets inverted so to speak. But figuring out temps 7 days away is as hard as knowing where a storm goes.

I just hope we dont get hit and it ends up being 30s at night.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,759,552 times
It won't be a hurricane but a Nor'Easter which are common in the fall and winter months...

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 AM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, you need to change your birthdate. LOL .. Or stop wishing when you blow those candles.

The cold front and trough would be over us if the cane goes OTS. But if the Cane hits us there is warm Tropical connection and the trough gets inverted so to speak. But figuring out temps 7 days away is as hard as knowing where a storm goes.

I just hope we dont get hit and it ends up being 30s at night.

Gotcha! Despite how I sound I'm hoping for OTS too, besides the obvious it would ruin Halloween for millions of kids, including my own, far more than Snowtober did for anyone.

It's interesting that the NHS site generally shows it going out to sea (though a little closer to us than it showed last night), but it's "Mariners 1-2-3 rule" maps seems to suggest a direct hit.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...basin#contents

Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 AM

Latest Overnight Update

GFS: Shifted West towards the coast but just breaks off a piece of Sandy and gives us heavy Rain and a breeze.983mb
EURO: Continues to hit us with a powerful Hybrid Storm showing 2 feet of snow West of Appalacians in NY/PA. 60mph wind gusts in NJ/NY/CT, Flooding Rains and coastal flooding. 943mb
GGEM: brings Sandy OTS but breaks off a piece and a new storm forms off the coast. 970mb
NOGAPS: Scraps Florida first then moves up the coast makes landfall in NJ. Floding rains and winds from Baltimore to Boston. PA and NY. 965mb
JMA: Stays off shore then cuts westward into CT and RI. Flooding rains from NJ to Boston all the way northward. 966mb
UKMET: Stays OTS

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut