Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM

38 posts, read 59,496 times

Advertisements

I posted a couple months ago that we are looking at relocating from NJ to CT, but were in the middle of job interviews and didn't have anything concrete to work from. Good news is that we've had an offer and decided to move - though most likely I will move with the kids after the schoolyear is up in June. Now deciding on details and paramount is what school to choose for our children.

Last week we went out with a realtor to look at Westport and Southport and came away thinking that Westport is high up on our list, more so than Southport. Instead of continuing to look at real estate, we've decided to start touring the schools - public and private (our kids are currently in private in NJ so we intend to look at both options and private open houses start now).

Today when I called to schedule some initial visits for later this week, two Westport elementary schools refused to set up any kind of tour, stating that proof of Westport residency is *required* per district policy before they will allow anyone to tour the school. Now, how in the world does that help anyone who is looking at relocating TO Westport? The secretary couldn't answer me that, just stated that this is blanket district policy. Honestly, to be so inflexible for something as simple as a tour, is a major turn-off for this potential Westporter.

The Fairfield public school, on the other hand, was not only much nicer on the phone, but we have a tour planned. It's an unfortunate consequence that we most likely will not be looking at more real estate in Westport if the public schools indeed are so unwelcoming, but then again, perhaps some things are good to know early on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,617,857 times
I really can't say I'm surprised at all, but sorry you had to deal with that. They probably wonder how anybody could question their schools, which are of course, 'perfect'.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM

21,585 posts, read 27,825,637 times
Sounds like you'd be more comfortable in a less exclusive community. Fairfield is great.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,090,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I posted a couple months ago that we are looking at relocating from NJ to CT, but were in the middle of job interviews and didn't have anything concrete to work from. Good news is that we've had an offer and decided to move - though most likely I will move with the kids after the schoolyear is up in June. Now deciding on details and paramount is what school to choose for our children.

Last week we went out with a realtor to look at Westport and Southport and came away thinking that Westport is high up on our list, more so than Southport. Instead of continuing to look at real estate, we've decided to start touring the schools - public and private (our kids are currently in private in NJ so we intend to look at both options and private open houses start now).

Today when I called to schedule some initial visits for later this week, two Westport elementary schools refused to set up any kind of tour, stating that proof of Westport residency is *required* per district policy before they will allow anyone to tour the school. Now, how in the world does that help anyone who is looking at relocating TO Westport? The secretary couldn't answer me that, just stated that this is blanket district policy. Honestly, to be so inflexible for something as simple as a tour, is a major turn-off for this potential Westporter.

The Fairfield public school, on the other hand, was not only much nicer on the phone, but we have a tour planned. It's an unfortunate consequence that we most likely will not be looking at more real estate in Westport if the public schools indeed are so unwelcoming, but then again, perhaps some things are good to know early on!
I'm sorry you had a negative experience with Westport schools.

While some parents do want to tour potential schools, it seems most trust the national reputation of the school system. The schools are full of kids, so I guess many were able to move here despite the district policy.

My understanding of the policy is that tours were starting to take up a great deal of administrator time and some potential parents went as far as bringing an attorney to the "tour" and interview. Many potential Westport parents insisted on "observing" teachers and classes, which causes disturbance or-- if they are not allowed to do so, causes conflict. Our principals and vice-principals are focused on running their schools and really have no incentive or even reason to be recruiters for our public schools.

There are plenty of resources out there that document the quality of the school system... However, if this experience turned you off, that's a shame. These are excellent schools and graduates of the Westport schools system often become high achievers in business, in the arts and in academia.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,139,228 times
mlassoff: Where are you living these days?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM

38 posts, read 59,496 times
mlassoff, I appreciate your input as to why the schools are not giving tours. I have no doubt that the school system produces great leaders, and of course the high test scores speak to the academic rigor.

We are not just interested in academics and testing, however, and feel that seeing and visiting someplace in person (a city, a neighborhood, a house, a church, library or school) gives a whole other set of important information that is valuable for my family to make a decision. We've lived in a couple districts so far and in the tours we have done I've seen excellent schools in which the kindergarteners were shouted at with bullhorns, where secretaries ignored kids waiting for assistance, and an overflow classroom took place in a storage room with no windows. All of those things I find provide valuable information to the whole picture and vibe of a school and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting a look-see walk-through before investing a couple million dollars in a community. If only for the eyes-wide-open factor.

As for taking up a lot of administrator time, I don't see why simple tours couldn't be provided by PTA members or a school secretary. Tours ARE provided for residents of Westport who might be looking at in-town moves, so combining tours into groups might make sense. Though the type of parent you described (showing up with their attorney?!) certainly gives me quite a bit of non-academic information about what the other families might be like, and that is quite telling in itself.

Stylo is probably right that Fairfield might be more out speed. Thank you for the replies. I was upset and put-off, but am getting over it.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,850,916 times
I know some school districts don't allow "tours". Many will meet with you, but not always tours, no. Budgets and security are tight, and "PTA" members are not paid for their time, they are volunteers. Many have full-time jobs. I'm a PTO member and I certainly wouldn't do it, I don't have the time. And school personnel are busy and often overworked. Honestly, I think it would be a little distracting to students for strangers, especially groups of them, to be roaming the halls of a school during the day. These are not private schools. But do try Fairfield, maybe they will be more accommodating. Try not to take it personally if schools don't have the time for actual tours, though.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM

21,577 posts, read 31,004,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I know some school districts don't allow "tours". Budgets and security are tight, and "PTA" members are not paid for their time, they are volunteers. Many have full-time jobs. I'm a PTO member and I certainly wouldn't do it, I don't have the time. And school personnel are busy and often overworked. Honestly, I think it would be a little distracting to students for strangers, especially groups of them, to be roaming the halls of a school during the day. These are not private schools. But do try Fairfield, maybe they will be more accommodating. Try not to take it personally if schools don't have the time for actual tours, though.
I agree with this. There really is no need for tours in 2012 when there are websites for the district and each school, which usually outline curriculum, activities and sports as well as detailed information on departments.

Westport is one of the highest performing districts in the USA when it comes to standardized testing. You shouldn't be concerned.

If you appreciate a more down-to-earth vibe, Fairfield is for you.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,090,423 times
Quote:
mlassoff, I appreciate your input as to why the schools are not giving tours. I have no doubt that the school system produces great leaders, and of course the high test scores speak to the academic rigor.

We are not just interested in academics and testing, however, and feel that seeing and visiting someplace in person (a city, a neighborhood, a house, a church, library or school) gives a whole other set of important information that is valuable for my family to make a decision. We've lived in a couple districts so far and in the tours we have done I've seen excellent schools in which the kindergarteners were shouted at with bullhorns, where secretaries ignored kids waiting for assistance, and an overflow classroom took place in a storage room with no windows. All of those things I find provide valuable information to the whole picture and vibe of a school and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting a look-see walk-through before investing a couple million dollars in a community. If only for the eyes-wide-open factor.

As for taking up a lot of administrator time, I don't see why simple tours couldn't be provided by PTA members or a school secretary. Tours ARE provided for residents of Westport who might be looking at in-town moves, so combining tours into groups might make sense. Though the type of parent you described (showing up with their attorney?!) certainly gives me quite a bit of non-academic information about what the other families might be like, and that is quite telling in itself.

Stylo is probably right that Fairfield might be more out speed. Thank you for the replies. I was upset and put-off, but am getting over it.
I'm not sure a tour would really provide the information you seek-- It seems to me that a tour would provide the best face on any school that you tour. I can assure you I've never heard of kids being shouted at with bullhorns, classes in closets or anything along those lines in Westport. Now of course I am not there-- I am merely an alumni, resident and booster. However, my partner and I are in the process of adopting, and we will be sending our child to school in Westport.

And just a note-- You're not investing a couple million in Westport. You're investing in real estate. If you don't buy a home here, someone else will. It's not that you're not wanted here, or not welcome, but from the town's perspective it's a revenue neutral deal.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM

21,577 posts, read 31,004,875 times
Quote:
Though the type of parent you described (showing up with their attorney?!) certainly gives me quite a bit of non-academic information about what the other families might be like, and that is quite telling in itself.
I remember years ago in New Canaan when a certain percentage of parents would bring attorneys to parent-teacher conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut