Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times

Advertisements

I'd even take ATL over Orlando...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,035 times
You should try FL out, sounds like you need a change. But Orlando? Have you spent much time there? Why of all the cities in FL have you settled on that one?

Miami is such a more vibrant, interesting city. If you don't like Miami for some reason, what about Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Key West, Tampa etc? At least they're not land-locked.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Isn't Atlanta considered to be "friendly" now? It's a little closer to CT, and far less touristy than Orlando.
Yeah, but again, similar to Miami, only 20% of the gay population there is white. The traffic is also much worse than Orlando.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Nep - After all the posts you have made, I agree this would be a good move for you. There may be other cities you could consider but there is nothing wrong with Orlando if you think it could be right for you. Try it for a year or so and then if you do not like it move somewhere else. I always believe the only thing worse than a bad decision is not decision.

I would not go to Killingly. There is even less there than you had here. Maybe stay where you are until after the holidays. The extra cost is not really that much for one month if you look at the big picture. Try finding a job there as soon as possible. Good luck and keep us informed. Jay

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Nep - After all the posts you have made, I agree this would be a good move for you. There may be other cities you could consider but there is nothing wrong with Orlando if you think it could be right for you. Try it for a year or so and then if you do not like it move somewhere else. I always believe the only thing worse than a bad decision is not decision.

I would not go to Killingly. There is even less there than you had here. Maybe stay where you are until after the holidays. The extra cost is not really that much for one month if you look at the big picture. Try finding a job there as soon as possible. Good luck and keep us informed. Jay
Thanks. You are probably right about Killingly. It simply won't provide the same level of social networking and dating opportunities that Orlando would, although I think it's a visually nicer place than Orlando. I will actually be taking a 1 or 2 month hiatus from work due to physical health issues I have been experiencing lately, but given my education and qualifications, I believe I will be able to secure employment in a reasonable amount of time.

One important thing that I've learned is that there is no such place that will satisfy 100% of my criteria. But I can't think of another place that is warm, affordable, not southern cultured, has a large white gay population and is within a short direct flight to Bradley Int'l Airport. At least I'll be in CT during Christmas time to experience the winter and snow regardless

Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Guess what I did.

I officially am quitting my job and my last day is Friday, thank god. I simply couldn't handle it anymore due to emotional and verbal abuse from management over the past year, and continued mental anguish. Secondly, I also gave my notice to vacate from my apartment here by December 8. I refused to continue paying $1,740 a month for month-to-month convenience. So, that leaves me in a position in which the world is open to me now. And I have it narrowed down to Orlando, FL or stay in CT.

I have narrowed it down to the Orlando area for several reasons. First, as you know, I can't stand too much cold weather and snow; I prefer the heat. I can handle "oppressive" heat with little problem. Second, even with a reduction in income, it is far more likely that I would be able to afford a decent house. Third, there is a much, much larger gay population and scene compared to CT. I also have friends and family in FL, from Tampa to Melbourne. And, there are numerous direct flights every day between Orlando and Hartford. And, believe it or not, the unemployment rate and job market is slightly better down there than it is in CT now. Trust me...I've been looking and speaking with recruiters.

My other option is to accept a friend's offer to live in a month-to-month 1 br apartment for just $650 a month. It's in Killingly, CT, however. Now, I love eastern CT due to all of its charm and lack of attitude and traffic, and relative affordability. But there is a notable lack of gay people in that area. I would have to be driving 40 minutes to Providence just to meet some guys. So, in some ways, I guess you could say that the net reason I am considering Orlando is none other than having access to a much larger dating pool. Gotta admit...I'm grossly frustrated with the selection of gay men my age in CT. Everyone is "taken" at this point and I'm left behind, single forever.

Can anyone provide any advice at this point? As you can see, I've taken radical action to change my life. I believe that both internal and external circumstances could be changed for the better. So don't give me that "change yourself" baloney. Yes, I am working on myself, but if greater happiness can be attained by changing both myself AND my living arrangement, then why not change both?

Anyway, what do you think of my options?
I'm not gay or anything but I can tell you the gay community hear is jumping.

Another thing, Orlando is not all flat, nore is Orlando all cookie cutter, and there are more things to do then theme parks all year! The stereotypes are just not true for the "City of Orlando" in which many visitors don't even experience (Disney is not in the city of Orlando)

From the Hills of Clermont and Lake County, Ocoee, Pine Hills, Hiawassee, Wekiva area back to the historic areas Winter Park, Fern Park, Downtown Orlando, and some of the inner city neighborhoods, you'd definitely find somewhere here to stay.

I also seen someone say something about "Living in Florida but not being near the beach". Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Remember the beaches are tourist spots as well and will have traffic and attitudes from all people. Not to mention hurricane, ersoion, and flooding threats. Living inland is not that bad when you can catch a bus to either coast, amtrack, or flights, or drive. It takes an hour or so but make it into a day trip and enjoy the cities of those beaches.

I have met 5 or so families from CT and they have moved to Florida and loved it. They have been okay here and understood that it's about adapting. Florida is weird, and even more specific, Orlando is young, and is growing. There is constant change in and around the city, hustling and bustling to build something or make room for something.

We are getting a performing arts center, new commuter train line, new interstate rail line direct to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, theme parks are constantly expanding and adding new adventures, as well as the city doing everything to add new jobs, and try to make the city more walkable. It's doing a lot I must say so myself.

However, it is hot most of the year, not to mention thunderstorms in the summer nearly everyday, and the traffic here is bad because they are working on the roads and more noticably, the area can not keep up with the population growth. So that should tell you it's doing something right. Orlando can be boring for a single person, but as any city could, though, it is what you make of it.

The gay community is friendly here and we have many other smaller cities and communities as well for you to interact with.

Direct flights up north will be there always

Orlando International Airport
Orlando North International Airport (Sanford)
Melbourne International Airport
Daytona Beach International Airport

So you'd have options . But overall you should try it. If the tourist thing, and newer style of building really bothers you or it's too hot, St. Petersburg Florida may be another option. Being that it hugs the bay and Gulf of Mexico, there is always a breeze and it's even more gay friendlier than Orlando.

Hope this helps dude.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I'm not gay or anything but I can tell you the gay community hear is jumping.

Another thing, Orlando is not all flat, nore is Orlando all cookie cutter, and there are more things to do then theme parks all year! The stereotypes are just not true for the "City of Orlando" in which many visitors don't even experience (Disney is not in the city of Orlando)

From the Hills of Clermont and Lake County, Ocoee, Pine Hills, Hiawassee, Wekiva area back to the historic areas Winter Park, Fern Park, Downtown Orlando, and some of the inner city neighborhoods, you'd definitely find somewhere here to stay.

I also seen someone say something about "Living in Florida but not being near the beach". Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Remember the beaches are tourist spots as well and will have traffic and attitudes from all people. Not to mention hurricane, ersoion, and flooding threats. Living inland is not that bad when you can catch a bus to either coast, amtrack, or flights, or drive. It takes an hour or so but make it into a day trip and enjoy the cities of those beaches.

I have met 5 or so families from CT and they have moved to Florida and loved it. They have been okay here and understood that it's about adapting. Florida is weird, and even more specific, Orlando is young, and is growing. There is constant change in and around the city, hustling and bustling to build something or make room for something.

We are getting a performing arts center, new commuter train line, new interstate rail line direct to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, theme parks are constantly expanding and adding new adventures, as well as the city doing everything to add new jobs, and try to make the city more walkable. It's doing a lot I must say so myself.

However, it is hot most of the year, not to mention thunderstorms in the summer nearly everyday, and the traffic here is bad because they are working on the roads and more noticably, the area can not keep up with the population growth. So that should tell you it's doing something right. Orlando can be boring for a single person, but as any city could, though, it is what you make of it.

The gay community is friendly here and we have many other smaller cities and communities as well for you to interact with.

Direct flights up north will be there always

Orlando International Airport
Orlando North International Airport (Sanford)
Melbourne International Airport
Daytona Beach International Airport

So you'd have options . But overall you should try it. If the tourist thing, and newer style of building really bothers you or it's too hot, St. Petersburg Florida may be another option. Being that it hugs the bay and Gulf of Mexico, there is always a breeze and it's even more gay friendlier than Orlando.

Hope this helps dude.
Thanks...that's great advice/information. Technically I'm still open to moving to either Orlando or maybe the Ft. Lauderdale / Broward County area. For some reason, I don't think St. Petersburg/Tampa is as vibrant for gay people. The gay population there is smaller, but certainly bigger than that of CT! Greater Orlando seems like the gay population there is skewed more toward younger men, while South Florida is more toward older. But I'm 28 and only getting older, so now I'm considering South FL. Sigh.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Thanks...that's great advice/information. Technically I'm still open to moving to either Orlando or maybe the Ft. Lauderdale / Broward County area. For some reason, I don't think St. Petersburg/Tampa is as vibrant for gay people. The gay population there is smaller, but certainly bigger than that of CT! Greater Orlando seems like the gay population there is skewed more toward younger men, while South Florida is more toward older. But I'm 28 and only getting older, so now I'm considering South FL. Sigh.
Your welcome! Ft. Lauderdale is diverse like Orlando, I know you'd prefer a white male, so best of luck down there. You are 28? Yeah St. Pete is not the best option. Stick with Orlando or South Florida then. Hope the best

It's pretty much the same info for Ft. Lauderdale except, well it's more populated by at least 3 to 4 million more people down there than in Central Florida.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,447 times
NEP, just a thought, could you stay for a month or so in an extended stay hotel in the Orlando area after the holidays? Their rates are usually pretty cheap, and you could possibly even negotiate a rate if you plan to stay there for more than a couple weeks. That way you could get a feel for living in Orlando, and be right there searching for jobs. And then if for whatever reason you don't like it there, or cannot find a job, you can go where you need to go next.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
This made me laugh.

There are no tourists in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut