Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM

519 posts, read 743,967 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an area in Fairfield county that's dark enough away from light pollution for some astrophotography work does anyone know of any sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I'm looking for an area in Fairfield county that's dark enough away from light pollution for some astrophotography work does anyone know of any sites?
Are you looking to view Leonid meteor shower? If so, hope you post some pictures in the picture thread even if its not of the meteor.
Look East after midnight. EarthSky's meteor shower guide for 2012 | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

As far as where, its not a specific location in Fairfield more than it is just driving North away from the big cities. But dont go to close to Danbury. Best is to find a roof somewhere near Ridgefield, Redding or Monroe would be nice. You might be able to find a spot even in North Stamford but trees and low rises might not help.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Are you looking to view Leonid meteor shower? If so, hope you post some pictures in the picture thread even if its not of the meteor.
Look East after midnight. EarthSky's meteor shower guide for 2012 | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

As far as where, its not a speific location in Fairfield more than it is just driving North away from the big cities. But dont go to close to Danbury. Best is to find a roof somewhere near Ridgefield, Redding or Monroe would be nice. You might be able to find a spot even in North Stamford but trees and low rises might not help.

Yeah I wanted to try for the meteor shower but also to get a better view of the sky, I can only do but so much at Compo beach..

Here are a few I took night before last.. I would guess the stuff over the water is Bridgeport?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't wait to upgrade to a telescope soon

btw I will be driving but I kinda want to find an area where I don't have to worry about cars being in the way.. sucks, most of the sites on this map are in NY but I think a bit too far for me to do a drive.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Too bad your not in my neck of the woods; we have the largest town green in New England and is awesome for that sort of thing. Wifey and I go up there sometimes with the telescope. It's a huge open green with very little lighting. Perfect.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Yeah I wanted to try for the meteor shower but also to get a better view of the sky, I can only do but so much at Compo beach..

Here are a few I took night before last.. I would guess the stuff over the water is Bridgeport?
Oh wow! You have to post these on the accu astonomy page. Mark Paquette will love it! Sometimes they have contests with prizes.

//www.facebook.com/pages/AccuWe...910?ref=stream

Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Too bad your not in my neck of the woods; we have the largest town green in New England and is awesome for that sort of thing. Wifey and I go up there sometimes with the telescope. It's a huge open green with very little lighting. Perfect.

Man that sounds so nice, the issue around here is lighting and the height of the trees and the low areas of the terrain.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Oh wow! You have to post these on the accu astonomy page. Mark Paquette will love it! Sometimes they have contests with prizes.

AccuWeather.com Astronomy | Facebook
Thanks! I will have to post some, It was really a simple set up I did but it was really cold and at the time I did not bring the gloves with me

I swear Compo beach used to close at 12 AM but now it's 10 PM now?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Try Google Earth
Go towards the Orange if you can. Like I said, stay away from Danbury.

Goog Earth has a Light pollution map you can zoom in on. Looks like the plugin is having issues right now,

Wind & Sky: Light Pollution Map using Google Earth Plug-in

This pic I got from Dark Sky Finder where you can zoom in on,.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Try Google Earth
Go towards the Orange if you can. Like I said, stay away from Danbury.

Goog Earth has a Light pollution map you can zoom in on. Looks like the plugin is having issues right now,

Wind & Sky: Light Pollution Map using Google Earth Plug-in

This pic I got from Dark Sky Finder where you can zoom in on,.
I was looking at the high school in Redding but I don't want to get caught and I don't know how many areas I can really pull off the road, it's been 8 months since I've been to this area so I can't remember what's what.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Go to the top of the tower: DEP: Mount Tom State Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut