Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times

Advertisements

MIsqumicut Beach is located on the Connecticut/Rhode island state line (but in RI). However, for many of you this is Connecticut's beach; Ten's of thousands of Connecticut residents visit each year from May through October. Some of you (who know the area) of course will find the pictures much more dramtic than others.

A few days after Sandy I tried to get down Atlantic Avenue to Westerly State Beach along the Rhode Island/Connecticut state line - but both State Police and Army guards were blocking all the entrances. I tried again a few days later, and again police/army had it closed off. Finally, this past Sunday they let people back down to the beach. Atlantic Avenue faces the open sea (the next land to the south is the bahamas 1000 miles away!). I took the camera not really knowing what to expect…but what I saw was beyond belief:

First thing I saw was that massive bulldozers were pushing beach sand to the side of the road. The sand at the base of people's driveway was 6 feet deep:

This is the main lifeguard station at Westerly State Beach last year one warm April day, you can see there was 100 feet of grassy dunes in front of the raised building:

Same main lifeguard building, only a close up...Hurricane Sandy swept 20 foot dunes across coastal highway and into marsh 1/3 mile away!!. The force of the waves eroded the sand right to the base of the Lifeguard tower.

The telephone pole you see in the center of the picture was enclosed by 15 to 20 foot dunes before Sandy...now there gone:

Incredibly, what you’re looking at used to be the edge of the parking lot - there were 20 foot high dunes in front of that parking lot!! (you can just make out the edge of the blacktop)…the force of the waves swept away 20 foot high dunes (and bent the parking signs):

Here are some pictures I took in the off season a few years back of the parking area of Westerly State Beach - you can see the parking lot and the 20 foot high dunes in the distance:

Now this is the same parking lot 1 week after Hurricane Sandy. Parking lot covered with sand 3 feet deep and debris everywhere, dunes breached and swept away in several areas (you can just make out peak of main lifeguard tower). Your looking at a parking lot!!:

This is the part of Atlantic Avenue that has all the food, rides, changing stations...etc.....much of it wiped out in Hurricane Sandy:

The hurricane storm surge blew out the back of many buildings, flipped mobile homes, and pulled the walls off buildings:

It will be along time before Connecticut's favoritve beach looks the same...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 AM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Sure ain't my favorite beach. But wow, that is awful.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM

352 posts, read 781,287 times
Ugh, this is terrible. It was my favorite beach when I was a kid, probably because it was the first beach my parents took us to that had big waves.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Ugh, this is terrible. It was my favorite beach when I was a kid, probably because it was the first beach my parents took us to that had big waves.
That's kind of the way it was for me as well.

I used to see those 2 foot waves on the Connecticut coast - then one day my father said there was a storm coming and we should go "out to the coast" and see the waves. I was a bit confused in that I didn't know what he was talking about (we lived on the coast I thought - lol), then when I got down there and saw 15 - 20 foot waves I realized I had never really been on the ocean until that point - lol.

Sad though, but they have 5 months to fix things up.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
We just had 15' foot waves in CT.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM

468 posts, read 524,090 times
I was saddened when I thought to check on what happened to Misquamicut a few days after Sandy and saw the damage that had occurred. I've enjoyed many a Shark Tank at Paddy's, and hope that I will again in the future. One piece of good news is that it looks like the State Beach buildings came through largely unscathed.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Thank you for the photos. I am saddened that the damage was so bad. I also went to Misquamicut as a kid.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
WOW, hopefully they can restore it back to something close to what it once was. One of my families favorite beaches.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Wow, that's just sad

Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Not my favorite beach, but several good childhood memories there. Sad to see the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut