Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times

Advertisements

Tetto

I frankly feel you have an agenda here

seeing that many homes according to zillo have the same taxes at $4200, there is perhaps a discrepancy that will be resolved.

I will check with the Manchester accessors office tomorrow. I want to see why almost every house sold in Manchester has the same taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:11 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
Manchester is the same as Bristol, Norwich and Middletown. I have known many people that have moved from "city" like or highly populated towns to more country/rural towns and ended up paying less in property tax or paid a little bit more than their old town but had a bigger/better property.

The more rural towns, like Lebanon, don't have the amount of school children that require education. Not to mention these towns don't have staffed full time fire departments and use resident troopers for police force. More housing developments always cause an increase in taxes for municipal services and it always outpaces non residential development.

Little be known, but "big box" retail doesn't draw that much of a tax base compared to office/medical uses and require more municipal services than those mentioned previously and industrial uses.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Skytrekker, the discrepencies with the townhouses taxes is-you are looking at taxes for just your unit, your living space-it does not cover the tax that is also assessed on the common property of the townhomes. Those, your association has to pay. In other words, you pay for the space inside your townhouse, the association pays for the green and parking areas. That's why it seems so low. A SFH is assesed on both the land and the structure.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I agree with Skytrekker, you can not believe Zillow. Thye have the prices and taxes in my neighborhood all wrong. Homes that recently were sold here sold much higher than Zillow said they were worth. That seems to be because we are near the town line. One side is a less desirable town, the other highly desirable. The values on our side are higher because we have a better rated school district. Zillow doesn't recognize this diffence for some reason. Also not sure where they aet their taxes from but they were wrong too. Jay

Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Wander, there is in fact another answer to the tax issue in Manchester, and not totally as you described. I lived in the 8th Utilities District in Manchester, which was another tax of about $200- that would make up the difference.

In any case zillow has all homes in Manchester nearly at the same tax rate- Jay is right, and I feel I was as well, zillow simply makes errors.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
JViello,

Who the hell said anything about race in this whole thread? Not me, not sky. What're you, racist or something? I don't give a hoot what color you are. Geez, talk about twisting things around.
Well, the only major change going on in Manchester right now is the diversification of it's population. Housing is what it's always been, development is if anything stronger than it's ever been...So it's pretty easy to deduct why you would think that.

"Oh no, look at all the X people here - this town is going downhill".

And since we are tossing around "police friends" let me state for the record that the chiefs son in-law (Who happens to be a detective) is a personal friend...the problem the past Summer was a lot of people coming in FROM HARTFORD causing trouble. The police made it known we will NOT tollerate that behavior here and now the word is "Don't go to Manchester unless you want trouble from the police" and it's died down.

Quote:
By the way, I lived in Manchester from 1990 to 1999. It used to be a decent place to live. Now the Parkade is empty, used to be alot of stores there. Granted there is the mall, but are they paying their fair share in taxes yet?
Uh, the Parkade has ONE empty store and that only recently. I'm sure it will fill in no time as it's next door to Stop and Shop.

If you are talking about the rear of the Plaza where the OLD Stop and Shop was (How long HAS it been since you've gone around Manchester?) lets be CLEAR and UPFRONT.

That is the ONLY empty plaza in the entire city AND for your knowledge there is a HUGE project in the works there that will level the place and build a 170,000sf project and redo all the landscape etc.

The developer and property owner, FNM Manchester LLC, says in the application that it expects to demolish the Parkade's existing buildings and construct a 168,634-square-foot concrete block building in their place.

Additionally, 740 parking spaces would be located on the 17.2-acre parcel that abuts Bigelow Brook, the application filed Wednesday says. Site improvements include parking, paving, drainage, landscaping, utility, lighting, and signage work.

Journal Inquirer - Parkade demolition planned (broken link)

Yea, real downswing.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I lived in Manchester as a little kid and then we moved to Glastonbury. I lived in Glastonbury until college. I have to say that Manchester has gotten much much nicer than it was in the 80s, although when I was a little kid I didn't know how bad it was in the 80s and used to ride my bike around town without knowing there were gangs, etc. Now it's a pretty nice place to live and a lot of the negative element has gone away.

The only way, in my opinion, that Glastonbury is better is the high school. Other than that, it's pretty much whether you're looking for a more rural or more city-like setting. Obviously, Glastonbury is wealthier, but at the rate it's growing there is a lot of uncertainty in terms of taxes. Manchester is less boring for teenagers but also a little rougher. If you have small kids, then a lot of Manchester is just as good as Glastonbury. For instance, the Keeney Street area. In fact, there are things like a bike trail in Manchester that makes it more fun than Glastonbury.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:59 AM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Uh, the Parkade has ONE empty store and that only recently. I'm sure it will fill in no time as it's next door to Stop and Shop.
What ever happened to respectfully disagreeing? What's with the Uhs, Ums and sarcastic comments I see so often in your posts? Doesn't show much class, or respect for anyone else's opinion.

Okay, I'm done.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 23,182 times
Default cox cable

How big is Cox cable in Manchester,CT? I work for them in Tulsa,Ok and thinking about transfer there.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 23,182 times
Default Cox

How big is Cox Cable in Manchester,CT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut