Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,247,479 times

Advertisements

Sat.dishes are legal in condos. I suppose a small HD antenna should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 PM

713 posts, read 759,802 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

I live in an apartment complex, top floor on 4th floor. So I can only use indoor antennas.
My TV is right next to the window, which is facing east towards Glastonbury.

Yes, I have tried moving the antenna around, even put it right next to the window, but still cannot get CBS.
My TV stand has a HD receiver, Cable Modem turned on, not sure if these devices are causing the problem.

I have tried a 30 dollar Flat RCA built-in 360 degree, multi-directional with an amplifier Antenna. This one picks up the most Channels, but no CBS.

I have tried a 28 dollar GE with an amplifier and pull out Antennas. This one gets many channels as well, but not as much as the RCA, but no CBS

I have tried a 20 dollar RCA non amplified with Antennas sticking out and a knob to change directions.
This one is just crap, only picks up a few channels, but no CBS.

I'm just sick and tire of buying and returning. I don't mind spending up to $100 dollars if I know for sure I can get CBS, but at this point, I'm not sure if a high end antenna would help, seems like it might be my location, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by wma152; 12-08-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,391 times
Sorry for my delay getting back to you. Yes, a modem, a computer, a computer monitor, router, & printer all made interference for me to about 1 foot away on a handheld radio tuned to one of my weaker local FM stations. Then I tried it with a different portable radio, also tuned to a weaker local FM station. This radio has a DSP chip (digital signal processor) and if it detects strong interference, the station can't be heard at all. All I heard on the frequency was noise within 2 feet of the computer components.

If you can move anything so your antenna & it's cord are 2 feet away from router, computer, monitor, try to do that & check for CBS again. Also, it could help if the antenna is somewhat away from the TV.

If none of that works, the problem is likely multipath, & you would need a small indoor antenna that is directional, as opposed to omni-directional, multi-directional, or non-directional (3 ways of saying the same thing). One of the oddities of reception in multi-path areas is the best signal may be found with the indoor directional antenna pointed away from the station.

I would recommend searching Amazon for indoor TV antenna or directional indoor TV antenna. If it gets an average rating of 3.5 or higher by many reviewers, there is a good chance it will work. As you are fairly close to the million watt CBS station, you probably don't need an amplifier, just directionality. Some amplifiers have high noise figures (above 4 dB) so they may make reception worse.

For many, the old-fashioned (unamplified) rabbit ears work best, the ones with a circular or rectangular UHF loop. I would avoid the ones with switches, as some signal loss occurs because of the switch. There is a *chance* of a problem with a directional antenna if the cord is very thin, as that *could* make the cord act as a not very directional antenna. It's worth trying if a nearby store allows returns.

It could be possible that you can find one of the higher rated antennas at a store near you. If not, I recommend Amazon for their low prices, huge selection, the many reviews, & easy returns (lose only return shipping cost, no re-stocking fee). Hope you'll be watching CBS soon!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default Network RF signals Anywhere

October. 30 2015

To anyone interested I have learned
by exprnces its not the Type of antenna
Direction faced

its the networks RF signals sometimes
nearby stations use the same RF signal
that causes issues till this day joe cannot
recieve WABC 7 - 13 new york city
I have conplained to the Fcc with little
to know results...

sometimes you ll find one network
25 kilowatts of power works great
then another 100 kilowatts
works perfectly....

yet those networks cond and go to
presently living 9 stories high Dual band
UHF antenna IM able to recieve new york
2/4/5/9 PBS 21 25 31pax 55 long island

sometimes bering so high i recieve
pitsburg Wcau and or Virginia tv 17
Cw a fluke

weather plsys a part try moving yhe sntenna
to another location if able to sometimes
over powering with amps pre amps can hurt
not help as done so in my case

well hope my coment helps remember
one station like wfsb could be RF 33.1
WJLP RF33.1 could cause conflictions

i should get WJLP by antenna RF 33.1
but how can i if WCBS new york uses
RF 33.1???

sobyou see what i mean??? wvit 30
interfears with wfut RF 30 because
wvit is 30 someone needs to change RF
signsls

new york signals need to revert backwards
to UHF RF or it aint happening with
Antenba users...

dean mulaski stated if i recieve channel
I should recieve fox 61 same transmitter
if so...cant be of happen for joe RF
signal interfeared with Telemundo hartford or
new york city not sure which

one channel luke 3 3.6 killowatss to low
powered...same for cw 11 new york city
9.6 killowatts any station thst low powered

will nog happen for antenna hsers indoor of
out doors...

hope this helps those wanba ve free
bad enough we lost me tv

Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
This drives me crazy. A TV should not be more complex than a computer.

So I'm looking to replace old CRT TVs from the 1990s. Ever since the digital conversion, I have lost info on the sides of the screen and despite Comcasts suggestion to change the aspect ratio, it can't be done on my old TVs

In the process of researching, a friend offered me a few-year old 20" Toshiba LCD. Another friend had loaned me an RCA antenna awhile back.

Try as I might, I cannot get anything to work off the antenna. Going off the maps, I should have great reception for most channels in this area. The digital stations give me "signal strength too low" errors. The regular stations just don't work at all. I just get silent snow (though on the PBS station I seemed to get moving lines).

Then I still need the stupid converter box to use cable (what a step BACKWARDS that is). That all works great but I can't go over channel 999 to get to the digital channels. I have the tiny converter box from 2011 or so.

Any ideas on the antenna? I've googled it (RCA ANT12F) and it's supposed to be pretty decent. My friend lives further out in the sticks and he bought a more powerful one. By everything I read, it should work fine in my area. Just about all the local stations are in the strong/very strong range for me.

<edit> Once I did the channel scans I was able to pick up channels. The ones with the cable plugged directly into the TV don't seem to show though, but they picked up on the scan.

I did get a number of HD channels off the antenna. Going to move it back in the bedroom and see how that goes.... Or maybe I'll keep it here in the sunroom.

I'm guessing I need a different box to get the digital channels through Comcast

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 12-05-2015 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut