Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,156 times

Advertisements

I love love love VWs for about the first 50,000 miles -- on many levels, such as comfort and handling and inerior craftsmanship. I could drive them easily in the snow, too. After a certain point, though, mine have started to cost me a fortune to repair. We had two of them, and as they aged, our repair bills were at least $1000/month, consistently. I will never buy another, sadly. Our Toyotas, on the other hand, never seem to have a problem with their engines, but become increasingly uncomfortable, and the interiors fall apart like Tinker Toys. Actually, we had a van that kind of fell apart inside too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Getting a VW/Audi with a CPO warranty is smart.

I think the TDI A3 and TDI Sportwagen are really good deals with a CPO warranty. Amazing fuel mileage!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Getting a VW/Audi with a CPO warranty is smart.

I think the TDI A3 and TDI Sportwagen are really good deals with a CPO warranty. Amazing fuel mileage!
A warreanty means nothing. you still have to go through the agravation of dealing with car repairs and worrying about breakdowns. I would much rather buy a reliable car so I do not have to worry. Jay

Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A warreanty means nothing. you still have to go through the agravation of dealing with car repairs and worrying about breakdowns. I would much rather buy a reliable car so I do not have to worry. Jay
New VW's are not THAT bad. The thing isn't going to be constantly breaking down if it's well maintained. I had one and it had issues under warranty, but nothing that kept me from driving it. Even though one was major, it was only in 3 times. And I think I had one of the more extreme cases. They're really good cars other than some reliability issues and cost of repair, and in the case of the TDI's - extremely efficient.

Haven't seen JViello post in a while, but he knows his cars and has a TDI Sportwagen that he really likes.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New VW's are not THAT bad. The thing isn't going to be constantly breaking down if it's well maintained. I had one and it had issues under warranty, but nothing that kept me from driving it. Even though one was major, it was only in 3 times. And I think I had one of the more extreme cases. They're really good cars other than some reliability issues and cost of repair, and in the case of the TDI's - extremely efficient.

Haven't seen JViello post in a while, but he knows his cars and has a TDI Sportwagen that he really likes.
I agree with you that the TDI is efficient plus Audis and Vdubs are awesome looking cars, but they are difficult to maintain and prone to $$ failures. I just know too many people who's Audi jammed a valve through a piston...Subie's are very easy to maintain and the new 2.0 eliminates the timing belt making the thing virtually maintenance free.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Audi &Infiniti are both excellent. Liked the Infiniti better then the Audi for handling, but I've moved on.things change.
Subaru is truly awesome.Had a few instances where I saw people stuck do to poor snow condition handling of their vehicles- but our Subaru is the the "little engine that could".
Impreza, Forrester, Legacy are all fine durable models.
Just pick the features you want & you won't go back to anything else. Ofcourse nothing will help in true ice conditions on downward hills, except for chains,lol. If there's a Subaru in your price range, get it.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I had a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. It never got close to the claimed 29/40 mpg. I average 31. It was horrible in the snow. I replaced it with a 2012 Subaru Forester. I've been getting 26 mpg with 4 sp auto. It handles great and is excellent in the snow. It is a much more practical family vehicle. It also has an excellent crash safety rating. The Outback is another great choice and gets slightly better mpg for about $2k more.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A warreanty means nothing. you still have to go through the agravation of dealing with car repairs and worrying about breakdowns.
I totally disagree. You can't go wrong with a warranty. What if the tranny blows at 80k miles? If you have a Hyundai you're covered for a 3k bill. Of course having a reliable car is most important. Cars unfortunately are built to break down. So you have to buy a new one! There's only a few models of vehicles that will hit at least 250k miles ON AVERAGE without any major engine work or transmission rebuilds. Ford crown vic, ford econoline, Lincoln town car.(notice a trend with those vehicles?) Fords non work vehicles of the same generation were the biggest pieces of crap imaginable. A few earlier honda/toyota models also were good, but not that good. Most needed major work before 200k. A lot of people talk about vehicle maintenance as if it's the most important thing. It's not. Vehicle engineering is the most important thing. Completely disregarding changing/checking oil for 25k miles(who does that?) will of course destroy a car.

I don't know why people are so worried about the snow here. It's not buffalo. It's only a few times a year there's a major storm and driving in the snow is dangerous no matter what vehicle you're in. Get a pair of snow tires. They're worth their weight in gold. That will give you the most grip for turning/stopping/starting.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I had a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. It never got close to the claimed 29/40 mpg. I average 31. It was horrible in the snow. I replaced it with a 2012 Subaru Forester. I've been getting 26 mpg with 4 sp auto. It handles great and is excellent in the snow. It is a much more practical family vehicle. It also has an excellent crash safety rating. The Outback is another great choice and gets slightly better mpg for about $2k more.
Hmmmm......I have the new 2013 Elantra GT and get great mileage....and I drive 54 miles each way on the Merritt everyday. Maybe you are not doing mostly highway? If not,then the 31 mpg is correct for combined city/highway.It probably was not great in the snow for you because of the stock tires........I always change out for a great set of all season tires that have high marks for snow travel.......but snow is snow and tires only help to a certain degree....... I get 37-42.......everyday......

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Hmmmm......I have the new 2013 Elantra GT and get great mileage....and I drive 54 miles each way on the Merritt everyday. Maybe you are not doing mostly highway? If not,then the 31 mpg is correct for combined city/highway.It probably was not great in the snow for you because of the stock tires........I always change out for a great set of all season tires that have high marks for snow travel.......but snow is snow and tires only help to a certain degree....... I get 37-42.......everyday......
Hyundai was sued by the government for lying about mileage. They've now officially changed the gas mileage ratings. They now have to pay back money to people who bought the cars!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8RwTY9PxE_bnZA

"DETROIT — The South Korean carmakers Hyundai and Kia built their brands around the idea that their cars got better gas mileage than competitors, promoting that fact in ads that often took swipes at less efficient rivals.

But on Friday, the companies admitted that they had overstated the fuel economy of 900,000 vehicles sold in the United States over the last two years — about one-third of the vehicles they sold during that period.

Hyundai and Kia, which are both owned by the Hyundai Motor Group, said they would begin a broad effort to reimburse consumers and restate mileage estimates for the affected models.

The admission followed an investigation by the Environmental Protection Agency into consumer complaints that their cars were underperforming the official mileage estimates on the window stickers of new Hyundai and Kia vehicles. While few drivers achieve the stickered mileage levels under real-world conditions, the government requires automakers to conduct standardized tests to calculate the figures so that buyers can more easily compare the fuel efficiency of various models.

Hyundai and Kia apologized to customers for what they called “procedural errors” in testing that resulted in incorrect mileage stickers on some of their most popular models, like the Hyundai Elantra and Kia Rio......."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut