Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times

Advertisements

The problem with all of these programs - Medicaid, food stamps, etc. - is that they have stopped considering assets. They only take into account income now. So, you can own millions of dollars in assets, and still qualify for Medicaid and food stamps if your income is low enough. People who have substantial wealth are on Medicaid and food stamps. In addition, many people who own cash businesses or work under the table under-report their income to evade taxes and qualify for Medicaid and food stamps. Not to mention all the people who are on SS disability, yet work under the table in physically demanding jobs! The system is broken. The state wants to collect the federal portion of the subsidy for these benefits, so they have no interest in limiting them to people who truly are impoverished. They also don't want to devote the resources to judging people's income and assets by their standard of living, as opposed to what they report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
With all due respect, the plan is not design to be Medicaid-- That is the program for the poor. Charter Oak does have a sliding scale as well, so if your income is low enough, you don't pay full boat.

I do agree that a $500+ a month payment is not affordable for even most middle class people-- and that number becomes ridiculous if you have more than one person on the program.
The plan is now Medicaid. Just so you know. The doctors and state all call it Medicaid. That happened when CT took over managing it.
My individual monthly premium - and I don't really have the income to cover it, is $589 just for me. Yes the state needs to balance the budget, but telling low income adults w/preexisting conditions that $589 a month is a good price is ridiculous. I guess that's the plan lower costs by forcing folks to go back to being uninsured.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM

Oh by the way my income is from my husbands benefits. Not high income at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The problem with all of these programs - Medicaid, food stamps, etc. - is that they have stopped considering assets. They only take into account income now. So, you can own millions of dollars in assets, and still qualify for Medicaid and food stamps if your income is low enough. People who have substantial wealth are on Medicaid and food stamps. In addition, many people who own cash businesses or work under the table under-report their income to evade taxes and qualify for Medicaid and food stamps. Not to mention all the people who are on SS disability, yet work under the table in physically demanding jobs! The system is broken. The state wants to collect the federal portion of the subsidy for these benefits, so they have no interest in limiting them to people who truly are impoverished. They also don't want to devote the resources to judging people's income and assets by their standard of living, as opposed to what they report.
Charter Oak isn't comprable to those programs. While there is a sliding scale for those on the low end, anyone without insurance can qualify regardless of income or assets.

It is the only way I CAN get insurance, sadly. I'd much rather have private health insurance. However, my preexisting condition and my status as a business owner doesn't help.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Welcome to Obamacare. This is just the beginning...
We have Connecticare, and it's going up less than $10 a month for our family of 4. That's the lowest premium increase we have ever had, so I don't see how Obama has anything to do with it. It's more likely a state issue, and Malloy.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM

$10 dollars?? That's not bad

Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
We have Connecticare, and it's going up less than $10 a month for our family of 4. That's the lowest premium increase we have ever had, so I don't see how Obama has anything to do with it. It's more likely a state issue, and Malloy.
I agree- I recently read an article in the NYTimes about there only being modest rises in health care premiums this year for most people. They essentially blamed a weak economy and only a modest rise in health care costs.

Charter Oak's jacked up rates is very likely a result of the clusterf- our state government is currently facing. State workers are safe thanks to Malloy's "negotiations" in the past, there has been a promise to not increase taxes again...something has to give, unfortunately.

Health care is such a joke in the US. If only our elected officials were subject to the same POS (and I don't mean Point of Service) health care the rest of us in the private sector are, things would have changed for the better years ago.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
$10 dollars?? That's not bad
Yeah, usually it's between $60-100 a month, so we tend to switch health insurance companies every 2-3 years. This latest increase was a pleasant surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut