Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM

22 posts, read 33,959 times

Advertisements

Okay...I've been on this forum all day today reading, reading and reading all about the pros and cons of both West Hartford and Avon.

I've read that West Hartford is nice, with its new development and its downtown area, and that it's a little more socio-economically diverse than Avon and has really great schools. I've also read that the taxes are high, and the homes come on smallish lots, and that the new development is overrated. I see that those that are into crime (what is the "OP"??) live on the border of West Hartford and Hartford proper, and that the crime spills over into West Hartford; yet on Sperlings Best Places, when I compare West Hartford to where I am now, the crime rates are the same...nice and low. What gives?? Would YOU move your family with two teenagers there, when those teenagers have never known any city-type crime and have been rather sheltered for their entire lives???

Concerning the town of Avon...I've read that it too is really nice, but it's much more rural with a lot of super richy-rich houses and families that our family does not fit with, BUT that's where my husband's job might just be.

What's the commute time if we choose to live in West Hartford and hubby has to go to Avon every day? It's a large retail chain store that he's a Manager of....

With two incredibly bored teens, can Avon possibly offer anything other than them staying at home playing video games all the time? Are there any interesting things to do in Avon?

Where are the rental townhomes in Avon and West Hartford? We do not want an apartment building, so I'm figuring a townhouse fits our needs.

Does anyone have a referral to a good Realtor who knows about rental homes in Avon and West Hartford?

Any and all help with current crime figures other than what's on Sperlings would help immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM

34,633 posts, read 56,360,262 times
West Hartford is very safe. I would pretty much live anywhere in town without any real concern for safety. Most people posting here are looking at it from their perspective. West Hartford is a good sized town so it is logical that there is more crime there than a town that has a few thousand people and does not boder a large city.

Whether you choose to live in West Hartford or Avon is really personal choice. Though more rural Avon is beautiful and it along with neighboring Farmington River Valley towns of Simsbury, Farmington and Canton offer a lot. There are movie theaters and a lot of stores and a lot of activities for teenagers. It is mostly what the kids and family makes of it. I have family there and one kid was bored while the other loved it. The bored one did nothing and I suspect that she would have been bored anywhere. funny though now that she is grown with kids she is living in the valley so she could not have disliked it that much.

Anyway since your husband is working in Avon, I think I would recommend you look in the Farmington Valley. The commute over Avon Mountain from West Hartford can be a problem in inclement weather. Simsbury, Avon, Farmington and Canton are all great towns (among the nicest in the state) and your husband's commute would be a breeze. If you want to do more, West Hartford and Hartford are not far for an occasional or even regular visit. Still the valley is where I would be looking. Jay

Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM

184 posts, read 290,443 times
Having spent a lot of time in both towns, I would definitely choose West Hartford as it's more walkable and there are more things to do.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,616,761 times
i lived in canton (right next to avon) as a teen and while i resented my parents from moving away from our old town in westchester county where nyc was just a train ride away, i still found a lot of stuff to do - movies, hanging out at friendly's, hiking, canoeing, museums in hartford, the coffee shop in collinsville (i believe there is still a coffee shop there) seeing bands play at various venues around the state. it's a small state! you really do need a car though (i didn't have one but friends did).

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,797,082 times
For teenagers, West Hartford would be "awesome," mainly because there's a lot to do there and in Hartford itself, and all reachable by people who are too young to drive. Suburbs like Avon are fine for people who can drive but for people who are too young to drive, too old to drive, can't afford a car, and so on, living in a place where one can get around without driving is to be preferred.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,711,527 times
OP means original poster (of the question under discussion). There isn't a crime issue in WH unless you are living right on the border with Hartford, particularly the southeast section of town, and even there it's not that much of an issue. West Hartford public schools are excellent and mostly diverse - economically, racially, ethnically - while the Farmington Valley has fewer African Americans and Hispanics, and has more wealthy families. West Hartford has several areas with interesting shops and restaurants that are within walking distance of a lot of homes, reached by streets with sidewalks. Teens walk in groups to the Center, Bishops Corner, Elmwood, Park Road, etc. There is a wonderful town pool, skating rink, rec center. There are apartments, townhouses, and single family homes for rent - look on Craigslist. If you want a larger house with more land, schools with a less diverse population, and a lifestyle which includes driving everywhere, and driving the kids everywhere, choose Simsbury, Avon, Farmington, possibly Canton or Burlington. If you want a more inner ring suburb feel, with older, smaller homes, built more closely together, on streets with sidewalks, and things your kids can walk to, look at West Hartford. If you have a kid who is really into his band instrument, choose an area of West Hartford that feeds into Hall High - they have an amazing Jazz Band. As for the commute over route 44, since they widened the road it is definitely safer, but it's still a road to avoid in snow, if possible.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 AM

41 posts, read 124,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
OP means original poster (of the question under discussion). There isn't a crime issue in WH unless you are living right on the border with Hartford, particularly the southeast section of town, and even there it's not that much of an issue. West Hartford public schools are excellent and mostly diverse - economically, racially, ethnically - while the Farmington Valley has fewer African Americans and Hispanics, and has more wealthy families. West Hartford has several areas with interesting shops and restaurants that are within walking distance of a lot of homes, reached by streets with sidewalks...
Well said.

I live in the NE section of WH and feel totally safe.

The choice is really a matter of taste. If you want a more rural feel then Avon is definitely the choice. If you want more activity and a concentration of stuff to do then WH is the choice. The Center and Blueback are awesome. They are adjacent and you see LOTS of families walking around. Teens are hanging out in Blueback commons areas at night and it is very safe. It's easy to travel a short distance to hike, bike etc. You can park in the area and walk to the movies, choose among tons of restaurants and hangout in the commons area all in one trip.

Diversity easily goes to WH.

The ONLY thing I don't like about WH are all the traffic lights and high levels of type A activity.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM

140 posts, read 257,655 times
I've visited both before fully settling down in Milford, and I love what each has to offer. West Hartford has so many great shops and restaurants, and seems like a nice family friendly area. Avon is much more rural, but still offers some good shops and restaurants as well. I personally prefer Avon (based on my visits anyways), because of how rural and peaceful it seemed. But thats just my personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut