Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL - I don't know about that. Lots of northern New Englanders don't consider the entire state to be "New England".

Oh well, their loss.

Fair enough, I was thinking outside of New England and/or at least those in Massachusetts and RI.

FFC does "look" like New England (as I kid in NY it was about as far into the region as I had normally ventured save for a rare ski trip or two to VT and it definitely looked "different" even right in Greenwich although some bordering Westchester towns like Rye and Pound Ridge and North/South Salem kind of have a similar look), but culturally I honestly do not think it is. Very few truly root for Boston sports teams (and it would be kind of silly to as Beantown is 3x farther from there than NYC is.....in fact Greenwich and Stamford are slightly closer in distance to Philly than they are to Boston and Norwalk and Bridgeport are about equal distance to both cities) and a lot of the people there are either ex-NYers or are much more culturally influenced by NY than New England. But the rest of the state I would think differently.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Fair enough, I was thinking outside of New England and/or at least those in Massachusetts and RI.

FFC does "look" like New England (as I kid in NY it was about as far into the region as I had normally ventured save for a rare ski trip or two to VT and it definitely looked "different" even right in Greenwich although some bordering Westchester towns like Rye and Pound Ridge and North/South Salem kind of have a similar look), but culturally I honestly do not think it is. Very few truly root for Boston sports teams (and it would be kind of silly to as Beantown is 3x farther from there than NYC is.....in fact Greenwich and Stamford are slightly closer in distance to Philly than they are to Boston and Norwalk and Bridgeport are about equal distance to both cities) and a lot of the people there are either ex-NYers or are much more culturally influenced by NY than New England. But the rest of the state I would think differently.......
The same can be said right up to the central CT shoreline. Actually I am surprised at how NY-influenced the central CT inland town is that I work in. All Yankee fans except for a few outnumbered souls, and most call NY "the city". Many have only been to Boston once or twice in their lives.

My town has a lot of former NYers, too.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM

47 posts, read 105,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
So, do most people in CT and the rest of New England really act like they are superior to those who live in the rest of the country? Or did I just have the misfortune of meeting some of the bad cookies of the region?
I can only speak to the people I've met, and my perspective may be skewed by the fact that I'm from New Jersey, another NE state. I've lived in CT for 17 years. Here goes:

Some people are not nice, some are, and its true wherever you go. A simple statement that doesn't answer the question, like saying, "No matter where you are, there you go".

I have noticed in my occasional travels that there are nice people most everywhere, and also unfriendly folks. As a "rule-of-thumb" there seem to be more standoffish types up here. I can't characterize them as superior per se, just, I don't know - self absorbed. Not sure that's the right way to put it, but its what I come up with now.

I will offer this: Couchsurfing.org. If you travel (or are willing to host people in your home) and want to meet nice folks consider it. Our travel and hosting has allowed us to meet good people from all over, CA to ME and all the way to Turkey and Pakistan.

Just a thought.

Vic

Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,985 times
Cool lining in CT. miss the south

I moved here in 2006 (Connecticut) from VA. I WAS EXCITED! What I have learned is people here are extremely prejudice. T hey assume since your from the south then you are to. In the 39 years I lived and visited the south, I never ran into as many situations having to do with prejudices as I have in the 6 years I've lived here! Also people are very much. to themselves. Down south you move into a place the neighbors come to you and introduce themselves, make you feel welcomed. In a store people actually speak to each other in the aisles, they hold the door for you. They say yes mam ( which is not a bad word) no sir.In other words THEY HAVE MANNERS. And if they ask you what church you go to its getting to know you.If you don't go to church don't be afraid to tell them. Why are you so afraid to say? The worse. they can do to you is pray for you! I'm here because my husband's children live here. I'm very surprised how many people have never left the state of CT. Ifind that very sad.I'll take the south over CT. and the northeast any day! The only thing they are really known here for are the fall leaves... don't bother. We on the other hand have the Shenandoah Blue Ridge Pkwy Great. Smokies, beaches that are actually warm enough to swim in and the nicest warmest people you'd ever want to meet. My spouse who was born and raised here can't wait to get back south either and some of the kids( the ones who have been there) are ready to go just waiting on the rest and were gone. PS. Try doing a southern thing say hi and smile at a stranger. I'll be praying for you northeast people

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkey View Post
I moved here in 2006 (Connecticut) from VA. I WAS EXCITED! What I have learned is people here are extremely prejudice. T hey assume since your from the south then you are to. In the 39 years I lived and visited the south, I never ran into as many situations having to do with prejudices as I have in the 6 years I've lived here! Also people are very much. to themselves. Down south you move into a place the neighbors come to you and introduce themselves, make you feel welcomed. In a store people actually speak to each other in the aisles, they hold the door for you. They say yes mam ( which is not a bad word) no sir.In other words THEY HAVE MANNERS. And if they ask you what church you go to its getting to know you.If you don't go to church don't be afraid to tell them. Why are you so afraid to say? The worse. they can do to you is pray for you! I'm here because my husband's children live here. I'm very surprised how many people have never left the state of CT. Ifind that very sad.I'll take the south over CT. and the northeast any day! The only thing they are really known here for are the fall leaves... don't bother. We on the other hand have the Shenandoah Blue Ridge Pkwy Great. Smokies, beaches that are actually warm enough to swim in and the nicest warmest people you'd ever want to meet. My spouse who was born and raised here can't wait to get back south either and some of the kids( the ones who have been there) are ready to go just waiting on the rest and were gone. PS. Try doing a southern thing say hi and smile at a stranger. I'll be praying for you northeast people
I found that most people who were praying for me in the south did so because I didn't pray "the right way" according to them...

To each their own, but I find the friendships I have here to be much deeper and more honest than I did in Texas. In my opinion, much of the southern culture can be very superficial and two faced. Here, i find people to be more "real" and you now where you stand.

For a year a fellow employee at a company I worked for was very nice to me. Always smiled, etc. I later found out at home him and his wife referred to me at "the ***..." I won't judge the whole south by him, but it certainly didn't leave a good impression.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

For a year a fellow employee at a company I worked for was very nice to me. Always smiled, etc. I later found out at home him and his wife referred to me at "the ***..." I won't judge the whole south by him, but it certainly didn't leave a good impression.
You mean you're not a nag?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I'll be praying for you northeast people
LOL, thanks!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I found that most people who were praying for me in the south did so because I didn't pray "the right way" according to them...

To each their own, but I find the friendships I have here to be much deeper and more honest than I did in Texas. In my opinion, much of the southern culture can be very superficial and two faced. Here, i find people to be more "real" and you now where you stand.

And the same goes down there if your "politics" are not "the right way" either........

Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM

119 posts, read 173,452 times
Default South not what it's cracked up to be

Quote:
I moved here in 2006 (Connecticut) from VA. VA is not the same as NC and SC. I WAS EXCITED! What I have learned is people here are extremely prejudice. I find this very fuuny that you say the north is prejudice, when my ex husband told how the "black stay in their ouwn part of town" and him being born and raised in NC. He also thinks all Mexicans are filthy and low lifes.T hey assume since your from the south then you are to. In the 39 years I lived and visited the south, I never ran into as many situations having to do with prejudices as I have in the 6 years I've lived here. Also people are very much. to themselves. Down south you move into a place the neighbors come to you and introduce themselves, make you feel welcomed. Don't see how them coming over ONCE to introdure their self and try to convince me that I need to go to their church is suppose to make me fell welcomed, nor having people I worked with tell me that I need to go to church if I want any friends!!In a store people actually speak to each other in the aisles, they hold the door for you.I have been in the south for 14 years and I rarely see people speacking to each other (unless it's to tell you off) or hold a door open (even when carry a baby in the car seat.) They say yes mam ( which is not a bad word) no sir.Hate to say this, but the only people I hear saying mam and sir are African Americans.In other words THEY HAVE MANNERS. Yep my daughters friend who came one for the first time and felt like she lived in my house going into my fridge and going into my oldest son's bedroom (when the door is closed) and taking soda's from his mini fridge is showing manners alright. Oh and I just loved how she yelled and screamed at her mother and was hitting her.And if they ask you what church you go to its getting to know you. That's why all of them kept telling me how great their church was and I had to go there, "Don't go to this church, it's not good".If you don't go to church don't be afraid to tell them. Why are you so afraid to say? Because I'm a witch and I practice Witchcraft, you try telling people in the south that and see how welcomed you feel or how welcomed your kids feel at school. My oldest son was made fun of and harrassed because he is gay when at school. God forbid if they knew his mother is a witch. The worse. they can do to you is pray for you! I'm here because my husband's children live here. I'm very surprised how many people have never left the state of CT. Why leave some place that is great?Ifind that very sad.I'll take the south over CT. and the northeast any day! The only thing they are really known here for are the fall leaves... don't bother. Ummm, open mindedness, progress, The fall is amazing, sorry I live in the smokies and the fall is not so great. Oh and yeah gotta love that trick or trunk at the churches because God forbid you go to actual houses to trick or treat. Or celebrate a devils holiday. We on the other hand have the Shenandoah Blue Ridge Pkwy Great. Smokies, beaches that are actually warm enough to swim in and the nicest warmest people you'd ever want to meet. My spouse who was born and raised here can't wait to get back south either and some of the kids( the ones who have been there) are ready to go just waiting on the rest and were gone. PS. Try doing a southern thing say hi and smile at a stranger. Oh I have said hi so many times, even invited people over for a cook out, yeah so nice of them to come on by and don't get me started on birthday parties and no one shows up, even those that have the common sense to R.S.V.P. I'll be praying for you northeast people And I will work a spell for you and light a candle.
I really like how most of the church going people I have met are so fake, my ex included (who by the way is an alcoholic and drug addict. Oh and I love how he thinks it's ok to call my son a ****** and my boyfriend a f**king Mexican. Yeah, real southren hospitality (oh and he got this from his mother, who is suppose to be a respected woman in her town).

I have found very few people and areas like what you are talking about. I found when people here know I am from the north, they turn their backs to me. Living here 14 years and I have only 1 person I call a friend.

Don't get me wrong I know the north has their own problems, but I have found the south to be a place I wish I never moved to.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,356 times
Question Why are CT women extremely stuck-up?

So, I've lived in this state for most of my life. I just want to know, why are nearly all of the younger women, from ages 20-35, totally stuck-up and mean for the most part? I resent the fact that I have to live and work in this state, paying taxes into a system that gives single moms welfare benefits and free healthcare, yet I am obviously hated for being a single man without any children or wife/girlfriend of my own.

It's like I am forced to pay into a system that rewards irresponsible people to breed, yet I am not able to participate myself (except for being forced to pay the state government $$$ in order to support these low-lives). One shining example of this injustice is that fact that CT is one of the only states where thug prisoners are actually allowed to have conjugal visits while in prison! These thuggish women who choose to mate with these drug-dealer types obvious have total and utter contempt for clean-cut, working men like myself. I experience this on a daily basis.

Also, even the middle-class and upper-class women here seem totally narcissistic, with an off-the-charts sense of entitlement. Most of them seem so proud of themselves for being "career oriented," "independent," and ultra-feministic, too. I wonder how many abortions the average CT woman has had by the time she reaches twenty-five years of age; I'm sure the number is up there, above the national average.

What's strange to me is that the media never seems to talk about how there are so many lonely, frustrated, dateless, and sexless men in this country (especially on the E. Coast), who are about ready to snap and lash out at society. Then, once they finally do break down, and this happens, nobody seems to have the courage or insight to mention this loneliness aspect of why they lost it. Instead, they just talk about the other peripheral issues involved. Seems like most of the women in this part of the world are only associating with a small percentage of lucky men who seem to possess all of the requirements on these womens' checklists.

The older I get, the more I learn to hate American women, and America in general. I wish there was a foreseeable way for me to get the heck out of this depressing country, and escape it's suppressive culture, once and for all.

Last edited by narcissisticwomeninCT; 01-14-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut