Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM

370 posts, read 608,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It seems like whenever I tell people I'm from CT, they automatically assume I commute by train to Wall Street.
I also get the same stereotypical perception.

However, I always urge them to Google Bridgeport, Waterbury, New London, New Haven, New Britain, Derby, Meriden, New London, etc. just to get the full picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I also get the same stereotypical perception.

However, I always urge them to Google Bridgeport, Waterbury, New London, New Haven, New Britain, Derby, Meriden, New London, etc. just to get the full picture.
That's not even the full picture, because then they'll get the idea that CT is a dump. I would encourage someone to visit a town like Shelton to get the idea of your average CT community. Affluent cul de sacs, middle class neighborhoods and sketchy areas near the old manufacturing buildings.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I work all over CT(Hartford, Groton, New Haven, etc) and people here are like anywhere else. I'm in Groton right now and granted, it is a military area, people are generally nice(locally). The locals have been really friendly and helpful.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
So, do most people in CT and the rest of New England really act like they are superior to those who live in the rest of the country? Or did I just have the misfortune of meeting some of the bad cookies of the region?

Also, if so many people from the Northeast (including CT) really thought that their region of the country was so superior to that of other regions, then why would so many be re-locating to regions like California, the Pacific Northwest and the interior West?
Part 1: Neither. People in CT and the rest of New England don't *act* like we're superior. We ARE superior. We are better than you. We just are. All of us. Better than all of you.

Part 2: Because when you spend most of your life on top, sometimes it's nice to see what the lesser folk are doing.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
we have the best NFL team

Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM

214 posts, read 290,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
New England. The Patriots.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Obviously you have never been to Texas.
Everything is bigger in Texas, including the attitude.

He he he, kidding (I think!)

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Part 1: Neither. People in CT and the rest of New England don't *act* like we're superior. We ARE superior. We are better than you. We just are. All of us. Better than all of you.

Part 2: Because when you spend most of your life on top, sometimes it's nice to see what the lesser folk are doing.
HA!!!

Always fascinating to read the descriptions of CT people as snobbish, superior, etc.. Maybe it's the New England accent and rapid speech. I do find myself speaking slower when in NC, just so I don't sound abrasive. I think a lot of what attitude you get is the attitude you give. And some people are just *****hole$ no matter what place you live.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
why is CT #1 for health?? the state's got the 2nd highest
rate of Breast Cancer in the U.S.
probably b/c there are so many pesticides put on people's lawns, which lie near the system's waterways.
CT was a heavily industrialized state, and due to wind patterns gets factory pollution from the Midwest=high cancer rates. Several Superfund sites near me and lots of brownfields from old factory sites.
Industrial pollution of water and air remains a problem.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's funny, I was discussing this with friends last night from the Pacific NW who visit New Haven regularly. I asked them what they thought of people from Connecticut, and they asked if I wanted their honest opinion. They said that you can tell they are affluent, but overall pretty friendly and more well-educated and eloquent than your average American. One thing they did say was that usually when they meet people from CT elsewhere, the CT traveler sounds a little snobbish when saying they are from CT. I will admit, I'm not ashamed to tell people I'm from here. It's a very desirable place to call home.

It seems like whenever I tell people I'm from CT, they automatically assume I commute by train to Wall Street.
I remember when I was a teenager, one summer my whole family went to Orlando. We were in one of those Nickelodeon studios where they had a mock game show and by luck, my brother was selected from the audience to participate. When the guy asked him where we're from and he said Connecticut, a large number of people in the audience went "oooooooh," which they didn't do for the other participants.

The whole time after that, I thought those people were weird, but then it hit me.

That was my introduction to the perception outsiders have of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut