Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Meriden, CT. I had a decent childhood with lots of nice memories. The other day my mother was talking about how we moved to NY from CT because Meriden became known as the armpit of CT. Is this true? What's so bad about Meriden? I haven't been there in years but I still feel back at home whenever I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
I wouldn't go that far, however Meriden certainly isn't the most desirable town in the state. Compared to surrounding towns and towns of similar population, the schools are worse and the crime is higher which tends to drive people out if they can afford to do so.

Home always feels like home, no matter how desirable or undesirable it is to others.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I wouldn't go that far, however Meriden certainly isn't the most desirable town in the state. Compared to surrounding towns and towns of similar population, the schools are worse and the crime is higher which tends to drive people out if they can afford to do so.

Home always feels like home, no matter how desirable or undesirable it is to others.
The school thing is probably true. I did elementary school in CT and they put me in the slower kid classes for lack of a better term. Yet when I moved to NY I was in Advanced Placement courses and graduated second in my class.

Where is the crime the worst? Is it as bad as New Haven? My dad said he considered moving there since my sister was born there but crime was awful. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Where is the crime the worst? Is it as bad as New Haven? My dad said he considered moving there since my sister was born there but crime was awful. I'm not sure if that's true or not.
New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford are all "high crime", but it's limited only to a few neighborhoods within each city and it's not random crime. The downtown areas, as well as other neighborhoods within the cities are perfectly fine. The suburbs, for the most part, are beautiful and pretty affluent.

As for Meriden - there are some nice neighborhoods but all in all, it's not the best city to live in. Lots of illegal substances floating around. It doesn't help that it's about halfway between NYC and Boston, so a lot of trafficking.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Meriden schools overall do not rate high but I know people that live and teach there and they are generally satisfied. A coworker's kids are going through the schools there and seem to be doing very well. A friend teaches there and they seem satisfied with the school they are in. I think most of the issues in Meriden are related to the socio-economics of the students. There are a lot of children from poor and under educated families which shows up in the school test results. Still a decent education can be had if the parents and kids care to.

As for crime, New Haven is worse than Meriden but New Haven is a major city. Still there are many good nieghborhoods in New Haven as there are in Meriden which is just like New York. There is good and bad everywhere. Jay

Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,953 times
I have a friend who used to live in Meriden and he loved it. Meriden isn't exactly the cream of the crop in terms of the quality of living, but it's not the armpit of CT either.

I would venture to say that Bridgeport is a contender to be the armpit of CT. See this recent thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
My sister lives over near the Preston Avenue area of Meriden, and I used to work on Preston Ave. That whole area is lovely, and rather normal in a "just *that* side of rural" kind of suburban way.

Around downtown Meriden, not so lovely. But that whole corridor, East Main from Preston all the way to Broad Street, seems pretty ordinary and suburban to me. Sort of like East Haven, from the Town Hall as far as the bowling alley on the way to the Annex. After that point it gets seedier but even there isn't not so "bad" as it is "old."

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM

708 posts, read 757,407 times
The Armpit of CT is Bridgeport, not Meriden.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
The Armpit of CT is Bridgeport, not Meriden.
I don't know if I agree with that completely. There are a few other cities that come to mind as well. Jay

Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
To the OP. Out of curiousity where in NY did mom moves you guys to from Meriden??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut