Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM

235 posts, read 783,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You know, I didn't think about it until I just read this, but I woke up at 3 AM to let my dog out on Friday morning. When I was standing outside, the sky was filled with shooting stars. In the 5 minutes I was standing there, I must have seen 6 or 7.
As a child I once asked my grandfather where stars came from, and his reply was "God lets his chosen ones become stars, to make the night sky beautiful and show us the way when we're lost". Smart aleck that I was, my next question was, "But what about shooting stars?" His answer - "Some of God's chosen stars are children, and they can't help being playful".

Thanks for reminding me of something that made me smile for the first time in three days, bittersweet as it may be. As parents of a 4 and 6 year old, my wife and I cannot even begin to come to terms with this tragedy. It took a lot to put the kids on the school bus this morning. I cannot imagine the depth of sorrow felt by those directly affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
My exact thoughts!!!

I would personally drive up there from Long Island to help you. I cant even believe these folks would think of doing such a thing.

I wish the people of Newtown, as good as holiday and new year as you can have in a time like this.

Peace, love and happiness even tho the pain is unimaginable.

We are all with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've never been arrested in my life. But if i encountered this group protesting at the funeral of one of those 20 children, i don't think my record would be clean any longer.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmadisonX View Post
I just listened to John [ forgot his last name} He is Olivia's dad. He told the reporter he saw a bright light last night on his way home from the memorial and when he focused it was a shooting star in the sky. That star made him smile for the first time since Friday. It was his sign that Olivia made it safe to heaven. He went on to talk about the lil lady as he called her.... Her short life and legacy.
Can't even imagine how much sorrow this would have caused the parents. I have almost never cried in my life, but I tear up every time I read something about these little kids or watch their parents talk about them. Being a parent has changed me as a person.

May God bless the little souls! May God give courage to their friends and families.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
For anyone who may have missed it, Noah Pozner's twin sister was fortunately assigned to a different classroom and survived the attack.
Yes, I heard about that. I am sure losing a twin sibling is going to be especially difficult for that little girl.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
Is New Town the typical community in CT? It seems like EVERYONE is white in that town and there seems to be lots of nice homes and trees. They said the mother was unemployed sitting around and collecting guns but was living in a 1.3 Million Dollar Home on three acres. Seems like that lifestyle in such a white preppy rich person's town might have messed up the kid who shot everyone.
Does it matter if they're white and live in nice homes?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yes, I heard about that. I am sure losing a twin sibling is going to be especially difficult for that little girl.
I imagine the thought, "I lived because I was placed in the other classroom" is going to be quite traumatic.....kind of "survivors guilt on steroids".

Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
To people who report news developments on this horrific event, it would be helpful if you would include links to the information you are sharing, to validate your reports, so that others can get accurate information. Thanks.
Feel for Newtown --- heavy hearts still..... BTW those that are posting stuff from the internet please note not everything posted on the internet is true. The media does great with twisting the facts and rumors. Words to live by in the 21st Century- Not everything on the internet is proven to be facts or true events.

So your shared links and TV clips are just that links and TV clips that can say anything about this aftermath or any other event in this world. If you are not there to experiance it in is true form please show some dignity to those that have and post gingerly.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Just wanted to share a few thoughts..

I'm still completely shocked. I grew up in Southbury, had friends in Sandy Hook that I visited often, and spent time over there. My old friend Mark's house was around the corner from the school. My elementary school was only a few minutes from that one. My mom is a teacher who moved from Southbury to PA a couple years back but could have just as easily been a victim there. My best friend went to St. Rose school nearby, where some of the families were gathering. His mom, also one of my mom's best friends, did the linens for St. Rose. I had been there many times. I saw something where my 7th grade science teacher from long ago who is now the superintendent of schools in Monroe, was interviewed. It's all so close to home. Having spent lots of time around the center of Newtown and seeing it in all this footage of news stories is surreal and heartbreaking.

I first heard about this in an early news report that only said 2 teachers were killed and the shooter had committed suicide. I thought it was a disgruntled student, felt disgusted, but went about my day. I did not find out the true extent of what would be reported later until a friend of mine still living nearby texted me. Then I went online to read updates and was shocked and appalled. The only positive that came out of this was to know that had first responders been slower, like perhaps in a more isolated town, the death toll would have been much worse. The shooter apparently systematically was going room to room and only got as far as the second classroom because he heard the police. He may have killed everyone in the school if given enough time.

I want to caution against reading too much into things, as some people in this thread seem to be doing. Newtown is a strong, close-knit, beautiful and upscale town and this is not an indication of a 'seedy underbelly' there, no matter how many some pundits seem to want there to be a larger narrative there. A very mentally sick kid took advantage of weapons in the home, and did the unthinkable. That does not reflect on the town, the demographics of the area, the schools, or even necessarily the mother. Despite her gun collecting, all accounts and information I've heard so far point to a very kind, caring mother trying to do the best for her troubled child - especially after the family's messy divorce. I also want to caution against talking about beefing up security. There is no amount of security short of the national guard that could keep someone with an assault rifle and body armor from shooting an entrance in the building to gain entrance. The security the school had in place was completely appropriate for all but the most outrageous outcomes.

Beyond the innocent lives lost, for me the saddest thing will be knowing that the entire area I grew up in will forever be tainted in my mind from this incident. I'll never look on it as fondly on the map. Neither will anyone else. What was once thought to be an idyllic, desirable area for people to settle with their young children, will have this evil associated with it. As soon as you see 'Newtown' on the map, it will all come flooding back.

I no longer spend as much time in the state, but this affected me very deeply. For all of you directly affected by this or with friends/family/coworkers directly affected, my thoughts are with you.

Last edited by basehead617; 12-17-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Can't even imagine how much sorrow this would have caused the parents. I have almost never cried in my life, but I tear up every time I read something about these little kids or watch their parents talk about them.

May God bless the little souls! May God give courage to their friends and families.
I'm with you, every time I see their pictures or just see their names it hits me hard. It's very difficult to process...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut