Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Connecticut School Shooting: Amid Newtown tragedy, scam artists creep in, report says - Crimesider - CBS News

(AP) NEWTOWN, Conn. - The family of Noah Pozner was mourning the 6-year-old, killed in the Newtown school massacre, when outrage compounded their sorrow.

Someone they didn't know was soliciting donations in Noah's memory...An official-looking website had been set up, with Noah's name as the address, even including petitions on gun control.
I am merging this with the Newtown Shooting thread. JayCT, Moderator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
If Westboro shows up, I don't think they will be prepared for the backlash they will face. Westboro shouldn't let our liberal leaning, gay marriage approving, abortion rights having, blue state facade fool them. Connecticut residents aren't afraid to fight.

Edited to add: I also read that Westboro blames Carrie Underwood for the Newtown shootings. Um, what?
Yep. We're kind people, but we give 10x what we get. It will not be good if they show up.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2012 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Revised quote

Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM

Dr Petit speaks out about the shootings:

Survivor of Cheshire crime offers advice - NewsTimes

Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM

33 posts, read 45,394 times
Default So, how are you?

The moderator might want to merge this, but I wanted to create a thread for the regulars here.

How are you? I've only lived here a short time and I'm doing okay, but my heart is still broken. Have you visited Newtown? Have you sought counseling? Did you light a candle?

My method is kindness. I paid for an elderly man's gas Monday. Tuesday I brought cupcakes and pudding to the nursing home nearby. Wednesday I brought clothes, blankets and a pot of soup to the homeless shelter. Thursday I paid for someone's sandbox on layaway. Today, I paused at 9:30, and am heading to the diner with 50 $5 Dunkin Donut gift cards and will place them on car windshields. Hope the wind stops!

This makes me feel a little better.

How are you all doing?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 AM

You're pretty awesome.

My parents attended the funeral of one of the victims (they know the grandparents) and the neighborhood has really come together to support them.

We have candles in all of our windows for the season, but for the past week, we have only lit one. We have also made 27 angels and hung them on the Christmas tree - we plan to hang them every year so we don't forget them.

On Sunday, I plan to drive up to Seymour to a restaurant called Albertos. They are donating 100% of all proceeds for the entire day to Newtown.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM

139 posts, read 170,055 times
my heart broke when the bells rang...... Everyone in Newtown, Ct is in my thoughts. May you continue to be strong.

20 BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN & 6 REMARKABLE ADULTS. TOGETHER, WE WILL CARRY ON AND MAKE OUR COUNTRY WORTHY OF THEIR MEMORY.

President Barack Obama

Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortRyan View Post

My method is kindness. I paid for an elderly man's gas Monday. Tuesday I brought cupcakes and pudding to the nursing home nearby. Wednesday I brought clothes, blankets and a pot of soup to the homeless shelter. Thursday I paid for someone's sandbox on layaway. Today, I paused at 9:30, and am heading to the diner with 50 $5 Dunkin Donut gift cards and will place them on car windshields. Hope the wind stops!

This makes me feel a little better.
That's beautiful.

Are you doing #26Acts of Kindness (#26Acts of Kindness for Sandy Hook | HLNtv.com) or are you simply following your heart?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
I have a question, maybe I can get an answer here. I'm in New Milford and I simply can't move past this the way people on this thread think we should. Today our schools are closed because there were so many threats phoned in to the schools, and high school kids were boasting about bringing guns to school.

Merry Christmas.

Does anyone know of a local group that might already be involved? I really don't know where to start ... but I want to try.

BTW, I do NOT recommend that people visit the Politics & Other Controversies board unless you are already completely pro-gun or at least have a strong stomach. I've had to stop. People on the Internet say the worst things ... and the gun lovers on P&OC do. not. care. about dead children. They say so quite openly.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comments

Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 AM

33 posts, read 45,394 times
I am just so heartbroken still and I want to show my love and appreciation for this entire community that has been so welcoming to me since I moved here.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I have a question, maybe I can get an answer here. I'm in New Milford and I simply can't move past this the way people on this thread think we should. Today our schools are closed because there were so many threats phoned in to the schools, and high school kids were boasting about bringing guns to school.

Merry Christmas.

Does anyone know of a local group that might already be involved? I really don't know where to start ... but I want to try.

BTW, I do NOT recommend that people visit the Politics & Other Controversies board unless you are already completely pro-gun or at least have a strong stomach. I've had to stop. People on the Internet say the worst things ... and the gun lovers on P&OC do. not. care. about dead children. They say so quite openly.
There is a group called Newtown United: Newtown United: Grassroots Group Seeks to Curb Gun Violence - Fairfield, CT Patch

Also, consider talking to a counselor. I know some people who have already, and they have no connection to Newtown other than it's our greater community.

Good luck.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Revised quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut