Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Yes. For 400k theres MUCH nicer places to live in Ct. than Danbury or Middletown. You couldnt pay me enough to live in either actually.
You don't have to live Danbury..there are many great towns surrounding that are affordable and have great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 93,834 times
We actually had our hearts set on Branford. But after hurricane sandy we are all set. Living by the water is not something we want to do anymore. Too much chance for devastation. Our beach used to be Rockaway, Queens, and look at the place now. No Thanks.
No work as of now. I would be looking for work as a personal trainer. Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport all have a nice economy for that. My sister is in retail, so probably a shopping mall for her, my father wants to look for work as a college professor and be somewhere where there is a big art scene and my brother is almost done with a graphic design degree and would be possibly commuting to Up state NY for his last semester.
Western mass is not accommodating for these things. And going back to NYC is too expensive. So, we'll settle in the middle.
Hope that clarifies things.
(400,000 MAX for a home, preferably 300,000 - 350,000)

Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Its true Branford is on the shore, But most of Branford is away from the shore. I think you would be safe from those types of natural disasters and flooding. Im talking where I95 is. That part of Branford certainly doesnt remind me of a "beachy" place. Its woods, a few main roads and woods. If you want the beach you have to drive there. Theres also North Branford.

your sister is in retail... Theres Clinton Crossings and Tanger Outlets right off of I95 just past Branford going North... pretty much outdoor malls that have good name brand clothing and such. Everything else you can find in New Haven, which is a ten minute drive on the highway. the arts, the colleges, all of it. Oh and the FOOD!!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
You might like North Haven, CT. Peaceful, very suburban, but a hop, skip and a jump to the various colleges in the New Haven area and New Haven's art scene. Lots of shopping areas in North Haven itself so possible close work for your sister. Close enough to the myriad gyms in the New Haven region for you.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Middletown and Danbury are both small cities. Wallingford is more suburban. All three are places to live but your family might want to consider living in adjacent towns which are near but a little less urban. Around Danbury consider towns like Brookfield, Bethel and NEw Fairfield. Near Middletown consider Cromwell, Berlin, Rocky Hill, Middlefield, Durham or Hadaam.

Middletown is almost the center of the state and would allow access to major employment centers in Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and eastern Fairfield County. While Middletown itself has less retail areas, its convenient location allows easy access to major shopping area in West Hartford, Manchester and North Haven/Wallingford/Meriden. Jay

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
We actually had our hearts set on Branford. But after hurricane sandy we are all set. Living by the water is not something we want to do anymore. Too much chance for devastation. Our beach used to be Rockaway, Queens, and look at the place now. No Thanks.
No work as of now. I would be looking for work as a personal trainer. Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport all have a nice economy for that. My sister is in retail, so probably a shopping mall for her, my father wants to look for work as a college professor and be somewhere where there is a big art scene and my brother is almost done with a graphic design degree and would be possibly commuting to Up state NY for his last semester.
Western mass is not accommodating for these things. And going back to NYC is too expensive. So, we'll settle in the middle.
This is not the ocean though. Our shoreline is hilly. You can't write off all of a town like Branford as the vast majority of it is non-flood prone. I live a half mile from the water and am 70' above sea level.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
I live in Branford, and in a shoreline neighborhood. Sandy had the highest storm surge in recent memory and we had hurricane force wind. The worst that happened is a few trees falling down in my neighborhood - we're set up pretty high.

Most of Branford is well above sea level.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
I'd vote for Middletown. It's location is bar-none. Easy access to everywhere via Rt. 9 and I-91. The downtown is SO unique and has really transformed over the past decade. Super artsy and eclectic. Good restaurants. As a previous poster mentioned, Wesleyan University calls Middletown home, and some of the brightest minds in the WORLD study there. An excellent proposition for the City of Middletown, as Wesleyan students spill over into the downtown to study and unwind. But Middletown is HUGE (land-wise). I have a friend who lives quite a ways from the downtown (which is the only "urban" section of Middletown), closer to Durham, and the neighborhoods out there are STUNNING. Her home is beautiful and certainly upper-class. The City is pretty self-sufficient when it comes to retail options, and the WestFarms and Meriden Malls are very close. Hartford is nearby, as is New Haven. The only downside I'd see to Middletown is its school district. It isn't the best, compared to Connecticut standards. Middletown has two private schools (Mercy for girls and Xavier for boys) and many people in town send their children there instead of Middletown High. I haven't heard anything necessarily BAD about the school district, but no positives either. I'm sure it has its share of urban issues.

I never thought Wallingford had much of a personality. The downtown is charming, however, and the school district performs well. So it's definitely a solid option. I'm not familiar enough with Danbury to offer a decent opinion, but I know they're building a Whole Foods Market there so it can't be so bad

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

40 posts, read 93,834 times
These are really excellent replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut