Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,775 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to CT but my girlfriend lives in Long Island and also sometimes I go to the city. Is New Haven safe to park in for a day or weekend? any other suggestions on how to get to NYC?

I wouldnt mind going to the other closeby stations, which are safe? I heard Bridgeport is bad but not sure about the others

Last edited by cats234; 01-03-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
If you're going to Long Island, personally I feel it makes more sense to drive. If you ride the train, you'd have to take Amtrak into Penn Station and then hop on the LIRR - which makes tons of stops. Just drive down the Merrit/Hutchinson Parkway to Whitestone Bridge, then take one of the parkways to wherever you're going.

If you're going to Manhattan, MetroNorth is the way to go - cheap and convenient, with frequent departures. New Haven station is fine. Safety shouldn't be an issue. And if you're going on a weekend for an overnight, keep in mind those stops without garages offer free parking on weekends, and you can leave it there overnight as long as you leave by Sunday night. Bridgeport is fine for parking, but it's not in the best area.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks Mike, when I go to Long Island I usually drive. is New Haven the best station to go to if I am coming from West Hartford? the train ride seems to be over 110 minutes but if I go a little farther to Fairfield it would only be about 70 minutes.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Thanks Mike, when I go to Long Island I usually drive. is New Haven the best station to go to if I am coming from West Hartford? the train ride seems to be over 110 minutes but if I go a little farther to Fairfield it would only be about 70 minutes.
I didn't realize we lived in the same town - hi, neighbor!

New Haven would definitely be the shortest drive from WeHa. It's exit 1 off I-91 and you ride Route 34 for less than a mile and the train exit is right there. There's plenty of parking. The last few times I've gone to Manhattan it was the weekend so I left my car in Milford, which is the stop right after New Haven. That station is free on saturday & sunday and it's only a bit of a further drive away. It's a small parking lot and it gets crowded on weekends, but I've always found a spot. It's about a 90-minute ride to NYC. Fairfield is a shorter train ride, but a longer car ride. Also, it gets more crowded on board the closer you get to the city. I've parked there too before with no hastles, but I prefer Milford. A shorter drive and if you get there early and need to get coffee or stop at a newstand, downtown is in walking distance and it's a really nice area.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I didn't realize we lived in the same town - hi, neighbor!

New Haven would definitely be the shortest drive from WeHa. It's exit 1 off I-91 and you ride Route 34 for less than a mile and the train exit is right there. There's plenty of parking. The last few times I've gone to Manhattan it was the weekend so I left my car in Milford, which is the stop right after New Haven. That station is free on saturday & sunday and it's only a bit of a further drive away. It's a small parking lot and it gets crowded on weekends, but I've always found a spot. It's about a 90-minute ride to NYC. Fairfield is a shorter train ride, but a longer car ride. Also, it gets more crowded on board the closer you get to the city. I've parked there too before with no hastles, but I prefer Milford. A shorter drive and if you get there early and need to get coffee or stop at a newstand, downtown is in walking distance and it's a really nice area.

Yep, it was actually me who didn't notice, since you had your location in there the whole time! Do you know how much it would cost to park in New Haven for the day?

Based on this link MNR Stations I see $1.30 but am not sure if I am on the correct page. I will probably end up going to New Haven but will look at Milford as well

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Yep, it was actually me who didn't notice, since you had your location in there the whole time! Do you know how much it would cost to park in New Haven for the day?

Based on this link MNR Stations I see $1.30 but am not sure if I am on the correct page. I will probably end up going to New Haven but will look at Milford as well
Here's what I found. I have no idea how recent this is, but based on the last time I left from New Haven it sounds pretty accurate based on what I paid to park there: New Haven Parking > DETAILS

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
As an added bonus of the Milford station, nearby Scratch Baking has ridiculously good baked goods.

The New Haven station is perfectly safe.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
New Haven has a multi floor parking complex that is secure, not sure how much it costs.

When I go to NYC, I depart from Milford station. The parking is kind of all over the place, theres a couple lots. One that I happen to go to Ive parked in there over night and I never had to pay anything, even though the front office hut said there was a charge..???

Ive left my car parked in a lot at Milford station for a weekend though with no problems.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,132 times
Last time I was at the NH station, the bullets only grazed me <g>. All kidding aside, the NH garage is a bit pricey, but certainly safe and convenient to 34/91/95.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
I'd just like to point that if you're going to LI, there's the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry. It's really good if you're going to eastern Long Island. (There's bus service at the other end, but the buses only run every hour for the most part, but if you could be picked up at the other end, that's great).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut