Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM

103 posts, read 144,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And don't forget Connecticut has a much higher median income as well as being close to one of the greatest cities in the world. We have some of the most educated people in the world here as well. Not exavctly what you would expect from a "dying crap hole on its way to rust belt status".

And the tempurature may be 72 today but what will it be in mid-August? Yeah, NC is such a great place to live. Jay
I love it. Connecticut is great because it is CLOSE to some place awesome. Well, heck, I have buddies that live in the same subdivision as a lot of Panthers players. Does that make them good at football?

Oh sorry, the NFL is something that real cities have. The Panthers are sort of like the Hartford Whalers, except that they actually are still here, still exist, and play a sport that people actually care about. I saw the Whalers on TV the other night; they look pretty good playing in Raleigh, NC.

The high median income is pretty funny too. Why don't you check in with the people under 35 and see how they are doing compared to how we are doing here. I am curious to see how many 30 year olds have a 3,000 sqft brand new house like I do. Not bragging, all of us in Charlotte with college degrees have big houses, nice cars and can actually afford kids. If you get your head out of your behind you will see why the whole Northeast is moving down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
I love it. Connecticut is great because it is CLOSE to some place awesome. Well, heck, I have buddies that live in the same subdivision as a lot of Panthers players. Does that make them good at football?

Oh sorry, the NFL is something that real cities have. The Panthers are sort of like the Hartford Whalers, except that they actually are still here, still exist, and play a sport that people actually care about. I saw the Whalers on TV the other night; they look pretty good playing in Raleigh, NC.
I couldn't give a rat's ass about living close to professional athletes. I love how people judge a place a "real" city on the basis of having a professional sports team, and how this is paramount to a city's success. Some of us seek more in a municipality than that. I don't expect you to understand. And last I checked, the Carolina Hurricanes weren't exactly drawing record crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganit22
The high median income is pretty funny too. Why don't you check in with the people under 35 and see how they are doing compared to how we are doing here. I am curious to see how many 30 year olds have a 3,000 sqft brand new house like I do. Not bragging, all of us in Charlotte with college degrees have big houses, nice cars and can actually afford kids. If you get your head out of your behind you will see why the whole Northeast is moving down here.
Actually, you ARE bragging. But for the record, many of my friends are lawyers, bankers, salesmen, and are doing just fine. They live comfortably in above averaged-sized houses and live within their means. Not those pompous, cookie-cutter McMansions, but very nice homes in desireable towns with good schools. Just because this way of life doesn't suit you personally doesn't make it inferior or wrong. I also have friends who tried the southern transplant thing, guess what? They're back. What would be considered a good school district down there was unsatisfcatory in their eyes. So they're now in a large contemporary ranch in Simsbury, loving the fact that they're surrounded by woods and that the downtown area is a quick drive away, and they couldn't be happier. Not everyone finds the migration to the south to be bliss.

So you like Charlotte convenient because it's cheap. It won't always be that way. Eventually the things that brought individuals like yourself down there - new housing stock, low taxes, cheap cost of living, high quality of life, good air quality - will soon be gone. Far-fetched, you say? Not really. Southern California fit the same profile in the decades after WW2 - midwestern transplants prompted to the area by real estate ads assuring warm weather and the good life - and now it's a shadow of its former self. And now it seems Colorado is going down that same path, and perhaps Charlotte is too. But hey, atleast there's sports teams in town, right?

Last edited by MikefromCT; 01-30-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:

The beauty of CT or NC is in the eyes of the beholder. You don't seem to know much about CT. You also seem too hung up on averages. Why dont you do another math-- who has more millionaires under 30? Northeast or SouthEast? You might find yourself as bottom of the barrel.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Let's dissect this line by line.

Quote:

So Charlotte is full of ex-Northeasters... Basically those that couldn't hack it in a more progressive and aggressive environment. Similar to your sports team. The B through D-listers. All of my associates and friends are under 35 and have professions, live in desirable homes and can afford most any cars. What you described with the exception of new (shoddy) construction. That doesn't bother me, since I'm not impressed by mass produced, modular housing that masks its cheap origins with faux luxury touches such as brick facades (and vinyl siding for the other ext walls), columns, engineered wood floors and sits on a postage stamp lot without a single tree. Sprawl everywhere--- big box stores, chain restaurants and the very proof statement of simple and unsophisticated. Schools are atrocious. My entire industry has ZERO employees in the entire state of NC, let alone Charlotte. Color me impressed. Now move along kid.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Let's dissect this line by line.

So Charlotte is full of ex-Northeasters... Basically those that couldn't hack it in a more progressive and aggressive environment. Similar to your sports team. The B through D-listers. All of my associates and friends are under 35 and have professions, live in desirable homes and can afford most any cars. What you described with the exception of new (shoddy) construction. That doesn't bother me, since I'm not impressed by mass produced, modular housing that masks its cheap origins with faux luxury touches such as brick facades (and vinyl siding for the other ext walls), columns, engineered wood floors and sits on a postage stamp lot without a single tree. Sprawl everywhere--- big box stores, chain restaurants and the very proof statement of simple and unsophisticated. Schools are atrocious. My entire industry has ZERO employees in the entire state of NC, let alone Charlotte. Color me impressed. Now move along kid.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:

Connecticut is 30 miles from Manhattan and 60 miles from Boston, so why should we not say being so close is an asset. IT IS. That does not mean we do not have our own things here that make it a great place to live. There is more to a great place to live than a very large city (which North Carolina does not have) and NFL football. Still we have 2 of largest cities and the best NFL teams within an hour away. Try and top that.

The "whole Northeast" is NOT moving down there, not even close. Honestly most people I know would not EVER want to live in NC. And not every 30 year old in NC has a 3,000 sf brand new house or could even afford it. Your generalizations are just upsurd. Jay

Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM

19 posts, read 31,945 times
This is absolute Trolling

dont feed them, they keep coming back.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 31,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut is 30 miles from Manhattan and 60 miles from Boston, There is more to a great place to live than a very large city (which North Carolina does not have) and NFL football. Still we have 2 of largest cities and the best NFL teams within an hour away. Try and top that.

Jay

Im confused why he brought the whalers.canes into this.

from his friends suburb in Charlotte he is 171 driving miles from Raleigh

thats the same as New Haven to Philly.

so, just to put this in perspective, New Haven, just as an example has the Bruins, Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Flyers within the same drive.

Not to mention that there are 4 NFL teams, 4 NBA, 4 MLB and 3 MLS and countless minorleage teams.
oh, and all the networks that broadcast their games. Its cool, we can also go to the NBA hall of fame and Cooperstown (technically not 171 from New Haven, but it is from N of Hartford)

and thats only pro sports, Id hate to actually make a real list getting into other areas like WWE or even Skiing.

More importantly, NC and Dallas for that matter are cultural wastelands compared to Hartford, let alone New England and the North East.

lets not measure, its just not fair due to the realities of the NE corridore.

Now I'm feeding the trolls sorry about that.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Looks like Reaganite22 has had quite the change of opinion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...arlotte-3.html

And I quote "Who on earth would want to move to this third world country? Wow, you guys have Bank of America! If I were you NC natives, I would be mad as heck about all the transplants. Seeing how we are doing just fine up here, it would seem that we really didn't lose much when they left. One could conclude that you guys ended up with the northerners that could not hack it up here in the developed part of the world. Well, good luck guys. With your state having the future economic prospects of Romania, you are going to need it."

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Looks like Reaganite22 has had quite the change of opinion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...arlotte-3.html

And I quote "Who on earth would want to move to this third world country? Wow, you guys have Bank of America! If I were you NC natives, I would be mad as heck about all the transplants. Seeing how we are doing just fine up here, it would seem that we really didn't lose much when they left. One could conclude that you guys ended up with the northerners that could not hack it up here in the developed part of the world. Well, good luck guys. With your state having the future economic prospects of Romania, you are going to need it."
Too funny! Yup, troll indeed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut