Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Looks like Reaganite22 has had quite the change of opinion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...arlotte-3.html

And I quote "Who on earth would want to move to this third world country? Wow, you guys have Bank of America! If I were you NC natives, I would be mad as heck about all the transplants. Seeing how we are doing just fine up here, it would seem that we really didn't lose much when they left. One could conclude that you guys ended up with the northerners that could not hack it up here in the developed part of the world. Well, good luck guys. With your state having the future economic prospects of Romania, you are going to need it."
Good look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
For lack of a better term. Pwned.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDoll View Post
Ok, here's advice from a single mom in her early twenties who's a college student that grew up in New Haven.
New Haven has a lot of nightlife in my opinion. I don't go out every weekend but when I do and want to get a good buzz and dance and meet people, there are places to go.
One place is called Bar. I'd rank Bar as a top place to go to be honest. Daytime or nighttime. They even have Mashed Potato Pizza which is pretty awesome. I love going at night because there's a dance floor in the back with a good bar selection. Last time I was there, they had jagerbomb specials which was pretty great.
BAR | Pizza, Beer and Nightclub in New Haven, CT

Another place you may like is Toad's Place.
Toad's Place - Where the legends play!
They host concerts and are a pretty cool place to drink and dance.

Another club is Alchemy. Once again, music, drinks, dancing, more of your typical night club but very fun.
https://www.facebook.com/AlchemyElevate

There's a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts in West Haven, 24 hour McDonalds in New Haven, 24 hour Wal-Mart in Wallingford, a 24 hour Stop and Shop (grocery store) in Hamden on the corner of Skiff St and Dixwell Ave, etc. So you're good if you ever ran out of food at 3 in the morning or are still drunk as a skunk and want food. There is also the Milford mall, restaurants all up and down the Boston Post Rd which if you were coming from New Haven, most places run on the Post Rd from West Haven to Orange then to Milford. So all through those three towns/cities on that very road you'll find shopping centers that include Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, TGI Friday's, Boston Market (I love their food), Chili's, Olive Garden, a couple furniture stores, and so much more. Drive down it sometime. Start on the Boston Post Road in West Haven and drive down it until you reach the mall which is in Milford which will be on your left side if you're coming from West Haven. You'll see. If I'm in the mood to go out for food, I'll just hop in my car and drive down that road until I find a place I'm in the mood for lol. All of these places not very far from New Haven IMHO

Now, yes, Yale is kind of surrounded by a dump in a way. But there are pockets of New Haven that are actually quite decent. Many live downtown. If you can afford it, luxury apartments were actually just built downtown New Haven. Another nice pocket is the East Rock neighborhood in New Haven. This includes Orange St and I believe parts of Whalley Ave. There's also a certain part of Quinnipiac Ave that's decent but close to the 'hood and a part of Front St right near the Quinnipiac River but also near the 'hood. East Shore over by Lighthouse Beach is a very nice area of New Haven. Amity is nice too. It's partly in New Haven, partly in Woodbridge. If you do look on craigslist, you may find someone renting a home, or you may find a home being rented out that would require you to live with housemates if you are open to that idea. Many of whom are young professionals.

Remember you also could live close to New Haven, like in East Haven or West Haven. Those places aren't that bad and have some pretty decent apartments. Ya just gotta know where to look and you'll be good. It's hard coming to a new place and not knowing anything. I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
You're a mom? You should probably find some nice bounce houses and other attractions for children - not keep up on the bar scene. Scary.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 7,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I originally posted here a few months ago:
[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/1697512-relocating-connecticut-help.html[/URL]

I'm coming from Dallas. I love it there. It has everything I want in an urban setting with 100s of restaurants/bars, but there's countless suburbs that I can drive to on a whim and find something on a drop of a hat. I'm in my late 20s, single, male.

My company is relocating me for my job in the Hartford area. I generally need to be in the general Hartford area probably on a busy week about 3-4 times a week for the most part, and there will be probably many weeks I will probably only need to be in 1-2x a week. I can telecommute the rest of the time.

That said, needing to stay within a 30 minute commute (driving) is not absolutely necessary and I'm willing to live in a reasonable distance (50-75 miles) if necessary so I don't go crazy from boredom. This is especially true after this past week I've been here for work and finally checking out what the towns in the area have to offer.

Now, I'm not extremely needy by any means. I lived in Syracuse a few years, and it was fine. The downtown (Armory Square) was great, and it had tons to offer. It had a great nightlife scene where everything was in a safe walking area. It had food all around town that didn't take long at all to find anything new to eat/drink without the need to use Yelp/Foursquare to find anything. Prior to going there for school, I heard a bunch of bad things but it turned out to be awesome. I was thinking Hartford would be the same. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out to be that case. I spent the whole day exploring between Hartford and New Haven, and all I found was depressed and run down suburbs. Everyone I spoke with in Hartford said, "West Hartford has great stuff."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but the Blue Black Square that seems to be the only thing is really just a few local shops and a bar or 2. The Irish bar is nice, but it'll get old extremely fast I can tell. The square/town center seems like it could be great, but coming from Dallas it is really nothing more than a strip mall that appears like a nightlife spot (minus any actual nightlife). Is this the biggest citywalk and congregation of young professionals in CT (except for the NYC suburb towns)? I drove through New Haven, and it seemed to live up to its reputation of what I heard about that Yale is gorgeous and everywhere else is a dump.

I know a long commute may be a little stressful or possibly a little pricier for gas, but really I just can't see myself going 'home' to a duplex built in 1920 and counting down the days every day until I can make it down to NYC for the weekend, or get out of town on business. It's extremely disheartening when all I can read online or hear from people locally is they can't wait to move out of the state. I was just sitting at a burger place, and I overheard the waiters talking to each other about how much they can't wait to get out.

TRY WINDSOR, my family live there and it is nice, It is also 29 min drive. Do not live in Hartford if you can.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
You're a mom? You should probably find some nice bounce houses and other attractions for children - not keep up on the bar scene. Scary.
She is in her early 20s and single. So you expect her to join the Order of Nuns Of Redemption? Maybe she has a parent who helps her with the baby. I am sure she knows she should have done bars first, baby later, but I cant fault her for trying to go out.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
She is in her early 20s and single. So you expect her to join the Order of Nuns Of Redemption? Maybe she has a parent who helps her with the baby. I am sure she knows she should have done bars first, baby later, but I cant fault her for trying to go out.
Yeah i agree. I didn't think that post was called for.......

Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Agreed, especially since the first thing she pointed out was that she doesn't go out every weekend.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 17,556 times
You may be in for a surprise here. many of the CT cities are depressed as you have noticed, Hartford is a toilet, and West hartford is not all what people make it out to be. ( I used to live in Northampton, Mass. and W. Hartford does not come anywhere close as far as culture, dining, arts, etc. and of course it borders the toilet, Hartford. You will find the winters here pretty miserable if you do not like the cold and the ice that comes with it. You may also find "yankees" to be very off standish and no where near as outgoing and friendly (at least at first) as southerners. I am a "yankee" but have traveled all around this nation, and even I find New Englanders very cold and off standish and not very friendly (overall)

CT and New England in general tends to be more liberal than down south, and if your a gun owner, you will be in for a dissapointment, the guns laws here are very strict compared to TX. Also, if you were to stay here and buy a house, get ready to pay a lot in taxes, and a obtain a good sized mortgage if you want to live in the "good" towns, like Colchester, Glastonbury, Marlbourough, Avon, Simsbury, etc. away from all the welfare housing and crime that is so prevelant in Hartford, New haven new britain, etc. CT was king in manufacturing at one time, but all that is gone, and now you just have post industrialized, crime ridden cities with a high population of the "entitlement" folks to fill all the housing that still exists from the industrialized age.

I too would agree with another poster, you should really consider looking for a job back in TX, unless it is such a good opportunity to make lots of $$$$ and/or good training opportunity.

I actually, am counting down the days I can leave liberal CT and move down south or south/north west. It is too expensive here and there are too many industrialized areas that are in decline, add to that there are no real mountains here, and the whole tri-state area is VERY VERY congested....just too many people and not enough open spaces. I would move to TX tomoorrow....the people are great, the environment seems a lot more conservative, a whole lot more gun friendly, and much cheaper taxes... Just my two cents.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Lotta Debbie Downers on here.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 17,556 times
Smile Vote republican

Amen. We need at least a few Republicans here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut