Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 50,521 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving to westport with my husband and baby daughter. We love the town, the beach, the schools and the amenities the the town has to offer. My concern is the commute to NYC as a new mom. How bad is it? My husband does not have to commute and can move his office locally. I want to continue my career (which I enjoy and not out of financial necessity) which is only in nyc. Are there other working moms? Any that commute to NYC? I really want to live in westport but, that is my biggest concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
It is a pretty long commute. Train time alone is a little over an hour. I suggest you check out transit times on the MTA site and also consider time to/from Westport and time to/from your location in NYC.

mta.info | The Weekender

Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM

What about percentage of working moms in the town? How many moms are commuting to NYC?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
I live in town-- I commute in to New York City once a week or so. I would be lying if I said that commuting to Manhattan isn't a male dominated avocation-- But there are certainly women making the daily commute. I imagine a number of them have children. Of my partner and my Westport friends we know only of one mom who commutes in to the city and she does so about three times a week...

Regarding working mom's who aren't necessarily commuters-- They are abundant. Our accountant and attorney are both working moms who live in town. Our neighbor is a working mom who teaches elementary school in Fairfield, and another owns some kind of small business.

YOu certainly won't be the only working mom in Westport-- and even if you were-- Who cares? It's a great town and if you and your husband can make it work, go for it!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM

206 posts, read 404,453 times
I lived in Westport for 25 years and commuted probably around 15 of those years, starting when my kids were 5 and 1 years old. It was very tough and I was exhausted all the time, but I was then going down to Wall Street. There are definitely other moms who do the commute.

Obviously what really helps is a supportive husband who can be home if a kid needs a parent, and/or a good nanny.

ETA: Westport is a wonderful town and the schools cannot be beat. Love the library. When we downsized, we moved 500 feet over the border into Norwalk. Same friends, same stores, etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Thank you masloff. Is finding parking at the main station difficult without a pass?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbh16 View Post
Thank you masloff. Is finding parking at the main station difficult without a pass?
No It's not difficult. It's basically impossible. My partner drops me off at the station when I go in to the city-- or I take a cab. There are a bunch of pay-by-the-day spots, but I've never seen one empty on a weekday when I go in.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM

My office is on 39/7th ave so I would be hoping on the shuttle over from GCS. Not as bad as going all the way downtown. My husband would move his office locally so that helps in case there is some emergency he is there quick.

I have been focusing on getting close to the main train station - I heard green farms is easier to find parking. Should I be looking closer to there? Green farms/long lots area?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
It is not easy to find parking at *any* station if you commute during peak hours. Stations have very long wait lists for permits (as in years). Westport is no more/less busy than any other.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbh16 View Post
What about percentage of working moms in the town? How many moms are commuting to NYC?
There are some, but the town is flooded with moms during the day! It's mostly males making the commute.

Don't know if it really matters though. It's up to you whether the commute is worth it or not. There are other towns closer to NYC that are just as nice as Westport, like Greenwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut