Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Good suggestion. I'll second that. You can get a little more for your money in Beacon Falls.
Yep.

I think you could also throw Watertown(Oakville) into the mix as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM

13 posts, read 21,000 times
What about Derby?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToCT36 View Post
What about Derby?
Avoid if you want decent schools.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Beacon Falls----45 min to Bethel, 35 min to North haven, according to mapquest. Nice small town, great schools, condos.
Also a good idea.

And to the other suggestions, I tend to not like Derby/Shelton/Ansonia, but that may just be me.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Also a good idea.

And to the other suggestions, I tend to not like Derby/Shelton/Ansonia, but that may just be me.
Shelton is actually a very nice town with decent schools. I am not sure what the OP could get there in their price range though. Probably a condo or a very modest house. Jay

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Seymour schools aren't as bad as everyone makes them out. The underperforming school was closed last year. With good parent checking of schoolwork, geniuses can be developed in any district.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Shelton is defying its valley stereotype, and is much "nicer" now than neighboring Derby. Parts of Seymour are on the up too. Oxford is a nice midpoint for that commute.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Shelton is defying its valley stereotype, and is much "nicer" now than neighboring Derby. Parts of Seymour are on the up too. Oxford is a nice midpoint for that commute.
Shelton's Huntington and White Hills areas have always been pretty nice. It was fortunate for Shelton that it had a lot of vacant land available when the Route 8 expressway was built connecting to the Merritt and I-95. That opened up the city to a lot of nice development back in the 80's and 90's.

Derby is unfortunately very small in area and does not have much if any vacant land available. They are trying to improve their downtown but unfortunately I think they are just tearing everything down and hoping something gets built. Not a good way to do it. Jay

Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I agree; Shelton is alright. I lived there for a bit and hated it, but to each their own. Seymour was never on a downward spiral. I remember the first time I was there and was surprised at how nice it actually was. Oxford is very nice and not much like the Valley towns but it can get pricey. There are lots of former lower FFC residents trying to turn the town into something it never was. In the OP's budget, there are only a few listings so he would have to sacrifice a lot. Plus nearly all of the listings have only one photo which raises red flags (in my experience it means the house needs a total renovation).

If I were the OP, I would sacrifice home for good location and schools. I'd probably go with Oxford or Monroe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Shelton's Huntington and White Hills areas have always been pretty nice. It was fortunate for Shelton that it had a lot of vacant land available when the Route 8 expressway was built connecting to the Merritt and I-95. That opened up the city to a lot of nice development back in the 80's and 90's.

Derby is unfortunately very small in area and does not have much if any vacant land available. They are trying to improve their downtown but unfortunately I think they are just tearing everything down and hoping something gets built. Not a good way to do it. Jay
That doesn't surprise me. Derby is a very stagnant community in every way. There are a lot of elderly senior citizens who do not like change, and the city is being overrun with former Bridgeporters. I know a teacher in the district and she said it's very sad what the city has become, and it continues to go downhill.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-25-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree; Shelton is alright. I lived there for a bit and hated it, but to each their own.
You hated it because of the neighborhood that you were in. And basically, that's the same general neighborhood that the OP *might* be able to afford. I know Seymour has been mentioned a few times, but i'm not confident that the OP will find a decent house there either at their price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut