Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM

284 posts, read 534,182 times

Advertisements

Can anybody offer any insights re: Holland Hill Elementary School and the neighborhood immediately surrounding it? I believe that's technically the University area, but it seems to be quite different from the University streets off of Mill Plain. I know no areas or schools in Fairfield are bad per se, but is this one of the less desirable parts of town? If so, why? It looks a bit run down (except for a few new homes), but that could just be appearances and not indicative of anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
As.you go east on Jennings Road, the houses become smaller and the neighborhood is not as fancy as over near Crestwood Road. I wouldn't really consider the Holland Hill area the University Area, which is mostly west of North Benson Road. There are also some cheaper condos in the Hollabd Hill arra that make it less exclusive.

Holland Hill is considered to be in the lowest quadrant of schools from a perception point of view (along with McKinley and Jennings) but I think it's a place where kids can get as good an education as at other Fairfield schools.

Go by whether you like the house and neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Holland Hill is a good school just like all schools in Fairfield. I would not be concerned. Some of the nieghborhoods that go to the school are older and somewhat modest but I would not say they are rundown. The neighborhood immediately surrounding the school is very nice middle class homes. I do not consider that the University neighborhood either. Anyway if you like the home and it meets your needs I would not hesitate to buy there. Jay

Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM

There are actually some very nice sections that are served by Holland Hill School. I agree with Jay that if you're happy with the house and neighborhood, you shouldn't hesitate to buy there.

One thing about Fairfield, which I think is nice, is that it has various economic levels scattered throughout the town. There really isn't a 'wrong side' of the tracks here. There are sections of Southport that are very high end and more modest, and there are beautiful neighborhoods right up to the Bridgeport line, along with more modest neighborhoods. There are no truly bad neighborhoods in Fairfield.

So your decision shouldn't be based on fear of certain schools or neighborhoods, but all the factors that you would normally consider when buying a house -- do you like the house itself? how are the other houses in the neighborhood? is the house overimproved or underimproved for the neighborhood? is it a busy or quiet street? etc....

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM

I have heard that Holland Hill is less desirable but also more diverse (which could be a good thing), and that Osborne/Riverfield are better. Also, it seems to me from driving around that the neighborhoods by Osborne & Riverfield (the side streets off Mill Plain Rd) are a higher class (nicer, bigger, newer houses, more neat looking) than the side streets off High Street close to Holland Hill.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM

That's true. The area around High Street isn't as nice as Mill Plain. But it's also cheaper.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's true. The area around High Street isn't as nice as Mill Plain. But it's also cheaper.
Yeah, I've noticed. So I'm wondering if it's cheaper for any valid reason (worse school, more crime, less parks & other amenities, louder, etc.) or if there's just some kind of irrational perception that keeps the prices around High Street lower than those around Mill Plain Rd ??

Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Yeah, I've noticed. So I'm wondering if it's cheaper for any valid reason (worse school, more crime, less parks & other amenities, louder, etc.) or if there's just some kind of irrational perception that keeps the prices around High Street lower than those around Mill Plain Rd ??
High Street is cheaper because it isn't as aesthetically pleasing and the houses are smaller. The other things you mentioned don't apply. It's not irrational. The Mill Plain Road area is nicer and that costs more. Value is always subjective.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The streets off of High Street are mostly small capes and ranches with a few raised ranches and splits. There is one group of colonials near Judd that were built in the 70's but for the most part the homes in that area date to the 50's and 60's. Mill Plain has more newer and larger homes overall which means they would be more expensive. It is also a little more convenient to the center of town and the train station so the value of that area is going to be higher as well. Only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost. Jay

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM

I think the most significant difference is that Holland Hill seems to be lower ranked than Osborne & Riverfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: