Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

Well folks, now is a good time to have a heads up on this snowstorm. The Euro models has shown it 7 times in a row. Very hard to ignore that. All models have the storm, details vary with each.

The EURO has a HECS. (Historic East Coast Storm), GFS has a MECS (Major East Coast Storm) with rain to snow.

I will keep you all updated and hopefully safe. If the Euro is correct there would probably be limited power outages, and major disruptions. I personally don't think that will happen. Put it this way... It would go into the Top 10 all time snowstorm events. I could be wrong.

Here's what the latest Euro shows for snowfall totals. 18-24" for NYC metro. 24-30" into CT, RI, MA. The Euro stalls the storm. (I just don't see that happening!)

Either way, today is a good time to get some milk, bread, water, batteries, ect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 AM

NWS Albany snow map. They are thinking 8-10" into Litchfield County. This will be a WIDESPREAD snowstorm. There will be more than 1 state with 6"+

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I've heard the word "blizzard" thrown around by a few meterologists. Not sure how accurate that is.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've heard the word "blizzard" thrown around by a few meterologists. Not sure how accurate that is.
Euro shows it. We'll have to see how tight it gets. If it bombs out south of Long Island, there's a good chance of winds 35mph+ so blizzard conditions would occur

Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 AM

As far as timing, it cannot be worse... Tomorrow we'll know better, but figure it starts after lunch Friday. Maybe sooner, maybe later. Nobody is going anywhere after 5pm or Saturday if this is happening.

If you can, take half day on Friday or off. I hope companies/schools will do the right thing instead of keeping their employees/students at risk not letting them leave or closing Friday

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Usually schools will close. Many companies do not, however. DWs company rarely cancels, even during blizzards - it's an "if you can make it in, come in" type of deal. The only thing that will change this is if the governor shuts highways to essential personnel only (which I do see happening if the entire state is supposed to get 12"+ of snow).

If it starts after lunch Friday, I see more early releases than anything.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 AM

Upton snowmap not believing the Euro but wow. This will put BDR above normal snowfall for the winter and we're only half way through

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Upton snowmap not believing the Euro but wow. This will put BDR above normal snowfall for the winter and we're only half way through

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY
Is the lesser amounts in NYC/LI/southern Westchester because they think there'll be more in the way of rain/mix there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
As far as timing, it cannot be worse... Tomorrow we'll know better, but figure it starts after lunch Friday. Maybe sooner, maybe later. Nobody is going anywhere after 5pm or Saturday if this is happening.

If you can, take half day on Friday or off. I hope companies/schools will do the right thing instead of keeping their employees/students at risk not letting them leave or closing Friday
Some models have it snowing late Thursday night/early Friday morning. That might be enough to close the schools. I think normally schools would close in "anticipation" (and I honestly find they do this quicker in CT than in Westchester), but I know a lot are nervous about all those "Sandy days" used up and if they can even be open 2 hours, they probably will since even that would count towards the "180 minimum" and they wouldn't have to make it up

Businesses unfortunately don't tend to close so quick. My other p/t job (a tutoring chain that fortunately is about 5-10 min. from my home) is that way, though I noticed this year they tend to be better about it (they closed for 2 days during Sandy even though they had power and did close for the November snowstorm (during the school year they don't open until 3pm) and closed early for snow 2 other times this winter so far, including the light snow/ice storm a week ago Monday). But they are pretty nice about you calling out, so I don't worry about them too much......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The only thing that will change this is if the governor shuts highways to essential personnel only (which I do see happening if the entire state is supposed to get 12"+ of snow).
I'm not so sure. When they did this for Sandy, wasn't that the first time since the 1978 Blizzard? (which means they didn't even for the 1996 blizzard)?

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-06-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
Dammit! I'm flying to Tampa Thursday and coming home Friday at 7:30 PM into Bradley, I think I may be screwed on this one.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Please, I can't take any more of this extreme weather. I lost power last week for 1.5 days because the heavy winds knocked down Trees that knocked down wires and a telephone pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut