Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM

81 posts, read 615,612 times

Advertisements

I just bought a home in CT. I discovered that the range in the home is electric. I have never cooked with an electric stove and all the input I received thus far has been in favor of gas. I am considering having a gas line installed and purchasing a new gas stove.

I'm not familiar with the costs of gas versus electric in CT. Any advice? Also, does anyone know approximately what the cost is to have a plumber install a gas line?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
I also prefer a gas range. I love gas cooking. The cooking costs are low- considering I also have gas heat, and I cook much- my bills in the summer are about $15.00, with the heat off. My dryer and electric hot water are electric.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM

38 posts, read 131,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan29 View Post
I just bought a home in CT. I discovered that the range in the home is electric. I have never cooked with an electric stove and all the input I received thus far has been in favor of gas. I am considering having a gas line installed and purchasing a new gas stove.

I'm not familiar with the costs of gas versus electric in CT. Any advice? Also, does anyone know approximately what the cost is to have a plumber install a gas line?

Thanks in advance.
Hi i don't live in CT, so i can't help you there, but I will say I love cooking on an electric stove......once you get use to it .
I have a glass top electric stove, which is very easy to clean.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,953 times
I always cooked with gas until I moved into a place without gas service. I thought it would be horrible, but I've to learned to love cooking on the steel coil elements. When they get red hot, they heat very evenly and get hot!
How many gas ranges are self-cleaning?
Even the electric pilot stoves can be hazardous.

About 5 years ago, there was a house around the block that totally exploded when a light switch was turned on while there was a natural gas leak. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Electric would definitely be my preference now that I've learned how to cook better using one.

Last edited by sun; 10-23-2007 at 12:38 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 8,403 times
i say gas buddy. it's way cheaper!! whereever you live. also if your going to use electric, check how many watts your electric stove uses. as gas stoves dont use any watts. maybe just to ignite or for the clock a gas stove will use watts. but the difference in watt useage is alot.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I don't know the cost because it was already here when I moved in, but natural gas is not available in my area. I have two tall propane tanks that supply my gas stove with the juice they need. A propane company fills them twice a year, I can't even remember how much it costs me because it is such a small amount.

I cook a lot and the only good thing I see about electric is that it boils fast. Other than that it stinks. The response time when you turn down the heat from high to low is seriously slow. There is a good reason why you never see professional chefs cooking on electric...

I forgot to add the other great thing about gas stoves...you can still use them when you lose power!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Have a read through this threat...it talks about the things you are asking.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ggestions.html

Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,932 times
Which is better to use in Colorado Springs to cook on gas or electric stove?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Gas is always better. In fact, it's what the pros use. Again, I am sorry that I don't know about costs re: installing but I think that the money you spend on installation is money that you will save with regard to day-to-day expenses in the long run. Gas is so much cheaper, especially in CT, and so much better.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
I don't think gas is better-in fact, I had the gas stove line capped off in the house I bought recently, and purchased an electric stove. For me, it's about safety, and I'm not comfortable with gas stoves. However, they are statistically safe.

I'm not a 'chef' but I do cook for a large family. I've cooked on gas stoves though and I don't get all the hype, as far as normal everyday home cooking (I can understand in a restaurant environment, preferring gas).

Oh, I just saw this thread is old. What did you decide, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut