Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 AM

5 posts, read 14,512 times

Advertisements

We will soon be moving to Hartford for my job in the downtown area.
I need help to narrow down on a place that is -

1) Safe for a family and adequate in regards to malls, hospitals, etc.
My wife is a homemaker and she will be by herself for the most part of the day while I am at work.
2) Has sufficient public transport to commute to downtown Hartford. This is important, as I am moving from India and will need couple of months to get a CT driver license and buy a car.

Through my searches in Google, I have seen people suggest Farmington, West Hartford. But, none of those suggestions were within the last 1 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
It sounds like West Hartford is the town for you.

There is plenty of shopping (West Farms Mall, Blue Back Sq, etc) and restaurants. There is also public transportation into Hartford. By the end of 2014, there will be a Busway running into Downtown Hartford with stops on Flatbush Ave and Elmwood in West Hartford. CTfastrak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Until then, you can use CTTransit CTTransit - Connecting the Community.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the quick response, kidyankee.

Any suggestions on good apartments in West Hartford? My budget is around ~$1100.

On a another note, what is your opinion on East Hartford?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Hi Shrashil,

You didn't mention if you have children or not, but if you do or plan to, I would not suggest East Hartford. Their public schools do not perform well. For $1100 a month you should be able to find a nice apartment, perhaps even a duplex.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Hi Mike,

I don't have kids. Would you still rule out East Hartford?
Should I consider $1100 inclusive of utilities in West Hartford?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM

I have a feeling that you'd have more access to public transit in West Hartford, since it shares a border with Hartford, and many of the main roads run through both cities. East Hartford is technically a neighboring town, but it's across the river so I don't think it has as many bus routes as WH, which overall is more desireable (but also more expensive.) As far as whether any rentals would cover utilities, it really depends on the building.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree that West Hartford is likely the best place for you to look for a place to rent. It has a lot of great shopping and a number of bus routes to take you in and around the town and Hartford. East Hartford is much more limited and does have some areas where you will have to be careful where you live. Keep in mind that if the rent looks to be inexpensive, there is usually a reasons. If you have specific locations you are interested in, I suggest you post them here for people to comment on. We usually can give you a good idea of what the neighborhood is like. Jay

Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Is being close to other native Indians important to you? Due to it's proximity to Pratt and Whitney, there are a couple of condominium complexes in East Hartford that have a significant native Indian population. However, I agree, you'll find that much less convenient if you're working in downtown Hartford...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Yes, West Hartford is easily accessible to Hartford via public transport and has a wide range of housing and shopping.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Is being close to other native Indians important to you? Due to it's proximity to Pratt and Whitney, there are a couple of condominium complexes in East Hartford that have a significant native Indian population.
And under normal circumstances, I would have suggested EH for that very reason, especially since the OP said he has no children so schools wouldn't be an issue. Manchester has an even larger Indian-American community, from what I understand. But since public transportation seems to be a necessity for the short-term, WH seems like the closest, most convenient option. Also we have immigrants from India here as well (if on a smaller scale)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut