Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
We had 40" of snow last year? Why do I not remember this??!! I must be getting old - LOL!!!
Trust me when i say, you'll NEVER forget having to clean up 33" of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Trust me when i say, you'll NEVER forget having to clean up 33" of snow.
LOL! Yes, by looking at the map Cam posted, you were smack in the bullseye! I know I've never personally seen 33" in one shot! Cannot begin to imagine what that was like...

Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
I've lived in CT basically my entire life. The only times I remember lengthy power outages were the infamous ice storm from the early 1970s, and then all the storms from the past few years. Nothing significant in between, though I was out of state in college for the hurricane in the fall of 1985.

We lost power for a week with the pre Halloween Blizzard a few years back in Avon. However, we didn't lose power at all in the tropical storm a few months before that. However, we did have friends in Glastonbury that lost power for a week both times.

With the fall hurricane in 2012, we lost power for 2 days - however, most of East Lyme was out for several days longer than that. I think our power came back some time after midnight, because I remember waking up to check everything... Where we lived in Avon before did not lose power at all, and I remember my daughter went trick or treating with her old friends in Avon.

With the Feb 2013 blizzard, much of our town lost power, but we were one of the 7% that did not lose it at all.

So, it really depends on where you are in the state.

On the plus side, I've noticed that CL&P has really stepped up the tree trimming in recent years, which should help mitigate storm-related power outages.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
..and what efforts have been made by CL&P to begin to modernize our infrastructure?
I think they're raising our rates. Oh wait! That's for the big wigs!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think they're raising our rates. Oh wait! That's for the big wigs!
I think you are right. I got a letter today from cl&p saying something about check out new rates on the enclosed paper. However, the paperwork they referenced was not in the letter. Sooo... Does that mean the power is free.

In all seriousness I believe the rates are going up because of the billion dollar upgrade they have been doing for the past couple years.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 PM

76 posts, read 96,070 times
The outages are not long. Get a generator, keep it in the garage. Make sure the gas you use is fresh. STA-BIL is good to have on hand. Maintain a good relationship with your neighbors.

Keeping good relations with the neighbors is the most important advice I can give you.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalersfan1974 View Post
Get a generator, keep it in the garage. .
! I assume you mean for storage. Otherwise DO NOT KEEP GENERATOR IN THE GARAGE WHILE OPERATING.

This is not only illegal but it's a health hazard. Doesn't matter if garage door is slightly open or open all the way. Monixide fumes will travel in the house. There's been deaths because of this and that's why towns do not let electricians put the hookups/outlet in the garage anymore.

You can't even roll the thing out and plug in the garage because any opening puts you, your family and pets at risk.

Outlet and Generator needs to be outside of house. Find a spot where the noise wont bother you or your neighbors.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 PM

CT LightandPower reporting 7,787 outages, including 813 in Coventry, 1,582 in Enfield and 2,843 in Tolland.

Transformers blown from lightning and Trees and branches down on wires. Give them time to come out access and fix.

This is just from thunderstorms and winds this evening.

Usually next day everyone is back with something like this but if they have to rewire pole to pole it will take longer.

Warm tonight too. No A/C for some folks

Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,472 times
I've only been without power for an extended time once in my 20+ years here (save the 8 while I lived out of state as a child). It was Sandy that knocked us out in East Haven for 4 days. I had a generator to run the fridge, TV, cell phone charging, lights, etc. Not a big one, 3,250 watts. It got the job done and each night I would shut it off, put it in the garage to avoid theft or something going wrong while I was asleep and it was running. Worked like a champ and now it sits in the garage waiting for use again.

We moved to Wallingford and have not had any issues with power being out for extended times yet. Apparently it has a really good record since they own their own electric company the trucks can be dispatched much quicker and fixes do not take as long. Worst was the power went out for 10 minutes before I called and they already had a truck down the road repairing. Power was back 10 minutes after that call was made.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Right now.. 757 Customers without power in Ellington alone from storms.

2,761 total CL&P customers without power right now. lol How's that tree trimming coming along? Did they forget branches fly in the wind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut