Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in the Park Road/South Quaker area of West Hartford. I have been looking at homes between Park Road and Farmington Ave for awhile. I have recently seen some nice homes on the other side of Park Road on streets like Fennbrook, White, Thomas, Woodmere, Seymour, and Richard as well as others in that vicinity.

In the past I had been told that there were problems in this area and the other side of Park was considerably more desirable. However, most of the homes seem very well kept in this area as well and it seems like a lot of positive development is taking place nearby on Park.

I'd appreciate any feedback or insight as to whether or not it is wise to expand my search to this area from those familiar with this area of West Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
I have friends who live south and north of Park and like it fine, but my preference would be a few streets you named: White, Fenbrook, Woodmere, etc. You shouldn't be too concerned about crime. A couple of years ago it looked like Park could've gone downhill, but it's improved alot in the last 5 years - new restaurants have opened that are huge draws, and it's overall a much nicer area now. However, a few of the side streets south of Park, while not unsafe, aren't as nice. An ex-GF of mine used to live on Seymour about 3 houses down from Oakwood and loved it, and even though it's a decent area, I still find the earlier mentioned streets more desireable. There's a new grocery store set to open on Oakwood where the old 7 Eleven used to be, owned and run by the same people who run the Harvest beer & wine store of Farmington (which is a great place), and I definitely think this will be a nice addition to the area, which is also improving. Obviously it's up to you as to whether you'd feel comfortable there, but I can't think of any glaring problems.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
I lived on South Quaker, right near the Park intersection, about 12 years ago and never had any problems. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing neighborhood, but it was safe and I never experienced any property crimes. I think there are more issues as you move closer to Propect, but even then, the area is really not that bad. And whenever I'm back in the area, I'm amazed at how Park Road has improved since I lived there.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
From what I can recall, the South Quaker/Park Road area seems to be pretty good. My cousin used to live on St. Augustine or St. Charles??? (the one way road that is right next to the highway - sorry I forget the name now). The only reason she moved is because her husband's job relocated - it wasn't related to anything bad about the area. Her in-laws live on Thomas Street and have for many years, and like it. My other cousin lived on South Quaker and moved only due to a divorce.

IMO, that is nicer than down near Prospect Street, for sure. I'm even a little iffy about Oakwood Ave, but I think the S. Quaker area is pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut