Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,132,283 times

Advertisements

The population is getting married and having kids much later in recent years. I also edited my post to reflect 20-30 somethings which was my original target range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Let's see if New Haven can hang onto the Gen Y/Millenials longer term. 20-30 somethings have long been attracted to the energy and social opportunities in urban cores. However, then they get married, have children and history repeats.

American cities fighting to keep Millennials from moving to suburbs.
Bingo.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,615,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Let's see if New Haven can hang onto the Gen Y/Millenials longer term. 20-30 somethings have long been attracted to the energy and social opportunities in urban cores. However, then they get married, have children and history repeats.

American cities fighting to keep Millennials from moving to suburbs.
Fantastic, insightful article. I did not even know about the book mentioned there, but it seems like it talks about a lot of the things I was seeing and thinking about the past 10-15 years (I'm 33).

Me personally, while I enjoy what the major cities have to offer - living in a nice quiet, peaceful area close enough to go the city for an evening is the ideal. I like to drive my car around and the idea of not having a car (or having to rely on zipcar/rentals/borrowing/etc.) terrifies me.

Most of the time these days, I live about 18 minutes north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge. It's pretty much ideal for me (I still live in CT part-time).

Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,172,732 times
Maybe someone with stats can help, but a family friend started teaching at a NH high school, and tells me that schools in NH are improving. They better be, because without good schools, NH is dead in the water, as far as keeping young parents in.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,688,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Maybe someone with stats can help, but a family friend started teaching at a NH high school, and tells me that schools in NH are improving. They better be, because without good schools, NH is dead in the water, as far as keeping young parents in.
Of course NH schools are improving - they have nowhere to go but up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve
I think this is the biggest dilemma cities face as far as keeping them a vibrant place to be. IMO there's a few reasons why people keep retreating to the suburbs: First, property taxes are usually more reasonable. Second, the desireable areas in cities are usually very expensive, and many people can't afford such high-end areas. But the biggest factor, as you pointed out, is because this is not the place most adults, especially those with children, want to live. As long as suburbs continue to promote low crime rates and high-quality schools, they're here to stay. I think we'll continue to see major reinvestments in cities, but these are major obstacles they still have to face.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM

184 posts, read 290,722 times
Regarding where families with children might go and whether this has any impact on "gentrification":

1. The number of married families with young children in New Haven is actually growing much more rapidly than it is elsewhere. Other CT cities and many suburbs are declining.

2. Most households formed in the 1970s had children, but that definitely is no longer the case. There has been a sea change. Adults are staying single much longer, young adults are not living at home as often as they used to (with the exception of a few bad years of recession), and due to the "silver tsunami" of the aging population, we have a dramatic growth at the other end in the number of older households and singles who also do not have children at home. So hypothetically speaking even if there were a city that had no families with children, it might still gentrify due to the enormous change in the demographics of the population as a whole. So Bridgeport and Hartford may eventually "gentrify" in the same way that Boston, NYC, New Haven, DC, and other cities now are.

Regarding Fairfield County comments: One year Census estimates for a small geographic area are often not accurate, and they are not a substitute for a look at longer term trends.
Regarding school comments: Don't just look at the average for a district. Families and school cohorts determine educational outcomes to a far greater degree than a single school district does - just look at all the high-achievers in the NYC public schools, which on average are worse than any city in CT. Sorry to burst your suburban bubble, but if you adjust by income and cultural/ethnic background you'll find that students in New Haven are in many cases outperforming their peers in the suburbs across all measures.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM

837 posts, read 2,069,292 times
I ran a thread search but didn't see Devon mentioned much. Does anyone think that this neighborhood of Milford will be gentrified anytime within the next 5-10 years? It's situated well between Stratford and Milford, and is along the water. Furthermore, Devon really isn't that bad from a blight and crime perspective - it's a bit run down, yes, but generally pretty safe. I think all it needs is an aesthetic revamp to shed its taboo of being the red-headed step child.

Ideas include revamping the mini-downtown area along Route 1 so that it seems more walkable. Some landscaping updates would help to boost its image (e.g. more inviting street lamps, etc.). Hopefully, more small businesses like Bridgehouse Restaurant will pop up.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the nasty truck accident that shut down I-95 the other day caused me to take backroads through Bridgeport. It made me realize just how AWFUL Bridgeport truly is. Very depressing. Mind you, I try to defend Bridgeport and give them a benefit of the doubt whenever someone tries to talk smack about the city in everyday conversation. However, areas along East Washington Ave, Iranistan Ave, Seaview Ave near Bridgeport Hospital, etc. look and feel TERRIBLE.

Generally, the only upsides include the small downtown area that is fixed up (and looks pretty decent and has tons of potential), the Black Rock area (which I generalize to be more Fairfield'ish than Bridgeport), and the Northern area that (near Sacred Heart University and the Westfield Trumbull mall). Even in the downtown area, it's nice when you're on one block, but it gets very nasty on the next block. If Gentrification ever comes, it can't come soon enough.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM

184 posts, read 290,722 times
Comp625 - that's a bit of wishful thinking. Aesthetics don't determine if an area is walkable -- land use, activities (including transit connections), and traffic speeds/volumes do.

There's really no way to make a place like Devon walkable and attractive in the sense of a major city like Boston or New Haven, without giving it a serious overhaul, on the scale of what West Hartford has tried to do by constructing an entirely new downtown. You'd have to bulldoze lots of surrounding blocks and fill them in with housing that was attractive to the demographics I mentioned above.

Black Rock, on the other hand, does have a ton of potential. Fill in all the parking lots around the Fairfield Metro station with high-end housing and office space and you could have something even better than West Hartford.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,769,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I ran a thread search but didn't see Devon mentioned much. Does anyone think that this neighborhood of Milford will be gentrified anytime within the next 5-10 years? It's situated well between Stratford and Milford, and is along the water. Furthermore, Devon really isn't that bad from a blight and crime perspective - it's a bit run down, yes, but generally pretty safe. I think all it needs is an aesthetic revamp to shed its taboo of being the red-headed step child.

Ideas include revamping the mini-downtown area along Route 1 so that it seems more walkable. Some landscaping updates would help to boost its image (e.g. more inviting street lamps, etc.). Hopefully, more small businesses like Bridgehouse Restaurant will pop up.
If Milford needs "something" that the NIMBY's come out against, where do you think Milford will put it?

If you answered Devon.................

Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,132,283 times
You never provide sources Anon860, just anecdotal claims. Care to back up bullet 1? The Census/ACS does not capture said data point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Regarding where families with children might go and whether this has any impact on "gentrification":

1. The number of married families with young children in New Haven is actually growing much more rapidly than it is elsewhere. Other CT cities and many suburbs are declining.

2. Most households formed in the 1970s had children, but that definitely is no longer the case. There has been a sea change. Adults are staying single much longer, young adults are not living at home as often as they used to (with the exception of a few bad years of recession), and due to the "silver tsunami" of the aging population, we have a dramatic growth at the other end in the number of older households and singles who also do not have children at home. So hypothetically speaking even if there were a city that had no families with children, it might still gentrify due to the enormous change in the demographics of the population as a whole. So Bridgeport and Hartford may eventually "gentrify" in the same way that Boston, NYC, New Haven, DC, and other cities now are.

Regarding Fairfield County comments: One year Census estimates for a small geographic area are often not accurate, and they are not a substitute for a look at longer term trends.
Regarding school comments: Don't just look at the average for a district. Families and school cohorts determine educational outcomes to a far greater degree than a single school district does - just look at all the high-achievers in the NYC public schools, which on average are worse than any city in CT. Sorry to burst your suburban bubble, but if you adjust by income and cultural/ethnic background you'll find that students in New Haven are in many cases outperforming their peers in the suburbs across all measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut