Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,574 times

Advertisements

I took a job in Middletown and have two kids under seven years old. I have been looking for a place to live and was wondering if you can recommend Middletown or if I should live in Glastonbury or old saybrook or madison. I want to send my kids to the public schools but also not have too far a commute to work so I can actually see them. Any suggestions would be great. I guess if I had to choose I'd rather commute than have my child in a public school that wasnt excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,684,090 times
As with all things, much of where you might live is going to depend on your budget. What are looking to do, rent or buy ? For either, what would your budget be ?

You'll find the most reasonable prices, renting or buying ,in Middletown itself. You'll' also find the greatest number of possible places to live in Middletown.

As far as schools go, Middletown is a city of neighborhoods, and the Wesleyan Hills area has what is considered to be an excellent grade school. If you're new to the area you might consider seeing if you can find a place to live in that area for a several years and then move sometime down the road as you get to know the region.

There are no apartments in that area, but many condos and single family homes, so maybe some rental and sale possibilities

Cromwell to the north has a decent school system and lots of homes and rentals ( mainly condos as rentals ) Old Saybrook and Madison are lovely towns with very,very little in the way of rents. You might find a condo or a small home near a beach to rent. If you want to buy, more possibilities. However, keep in mind that the closer to the shore you get, the more everything will cost as compared to inland.

Any of the towns around Middletown are also good choices to live and have good schools. ( Haddam, Durham, Middlefield , Berlin, Cromwell, etc. ) You can also consider the river towns- Deep River, Essex, Chester ( all the same regional middle & senior school system). Glastonbury is a lovely town, with lots of housing options, if it meets your budget. Obviously, it's kind of remote to Middletown as it sprawls. Much would depend on where in town you would live.

But as noted, much is going to depend on your budget, if looking to buy or rent and what you expect to get for that budget. . Come back and give us more info and maybe we can help narrow it down. IMO , life is always best if you can live as close to work as possible.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 AM

21,442 posts, read 27,679,165 times
If you can afford it, Madison is an exceptional and beautiful town. Glastonbury is very nice too, though I personally find Madison and its general area to be more charming (I'm also a sucker for the coast). Out of all towns mentioned, its schools also rank highest.

As mentioned however, you don't need to go that far for great schools. There are lots of town in the vicinity that fit your needs.

In addition to the towns mentioned, I'd also throw North Haven into the mix. A very well-rounded town with good schools, shopping, value, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM

3,480 posts, read 9,369,423 times
The Glastonbury to Middletown commute is easy. Glastonbury is fairly large in area so your route would depend on what side of town you are on, as well as where in Middletown you are headed.

For instance, if you are on the I-91 side of Middletown, your commute would be different than if you were commuting to downtown Middletown.

Commuting to I-91 side of Middletown from Glastonbury: Will definitely involve Rt 3 to I-91, perhaps Route 2 depending where in Glastonbury you are. All an easy drive with little traffic on an average day.

Commuting to downtown Middletown: This will involve taking Rt. 66 all the way in from Marlborough, or perhaps taking Rt. 17 down into Portland then Rt. 66....again, this is all dependent on what area of Glastonbury. Very easy drive with some heavier traffic crossing the Arrigoni Bridge (bringing you across the CT River) during the rush, but no big deal.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,574 times
Thanks for your responses everyone! We are looking to rent first and I want to put my kids in the public school and was hoping to have a town with lots of extracurricular activies, good family people, and a down town that has cute stores and some clothing stores and maybe a Starbucks or coffee shop. I guess we are going to have to go there to kind of look around a bit more. I drove through Glastonbury but that was it. I was hoping to rent in the place I would buy so that way I don't have to pull my kids out of school if we pick a different town.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,684,090 times
To the OP:

This move needs to be thought out more. You're going to need to visit as many times as you can and poke around the area towns. That is because you're not going to find top schools, walkable, New Englandy town center and clothing stores in the same place. You're also not going to find much in the way of rent to own homes. This is a concept that never took root in CT.

What you will find are plenty of school systems with lots of extra curricular activities, lots of churches, many good people and decent families. This is given in CT.

You can find a coffee shop and a Starbucks almost anywhere, it's trying to get everything on your wish list in one town that is hard.

Glastonbury. has a sort of small walkable area but you're going to be going to a mall in another town to do clothing shopping. Old Saybrook and Madison have very walkable centers , but again, for clothes for kids, you're heading to the mall. North Haven has lots of shopping and wonderful family neighborhoods and some rental housing, but no cute walkable downtown. Middletown has a the most walkable downtown, with lots of shops and restaurants, but the high school is not tops. Clothing shopping again is going to be at a mall for the most part. The river towns have beautiful town centers, but no Starbucks
and no clothing stores that would be child suitable.

I's suggest you get on some of the real estate websites like trulia.com, zillow, com, realtor.com, homes.com. You can punch in for single family homes or for rentals. It may give you an idea of what is available in each area. However, you really need to do lots of driving around and get a feel for the region.
Then you might be better able to prioritize what you want.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM

34,596 posts, read 56,301,720 times
It would be hard to beat Glastonbury as a place to raise kids. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of activities for them. There are a number of rentals but they are kind of pricey. The OP did not give a price range so it is hard to comment on if there are homes in their range. The town has most of your shopping needs but for real shopping, meaning clothing, you have to pretty much go up to Buckland Hills in Manchester. I am pretty sure this is not uncommon in the suburbs of most major cities. The commute to Middletown would not be bad, 20 to 30 minutes.

To be closer to Middletown, I would suggest considering towns like Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Berlin, Middlefield and Durham. These are not as upscale as Glastonbury and do not have walkable downtowns but they are still good towns with decent schools and some kid activities. Note though that Middlefield and Durham are kind of small so they would offer less activities and fewer rentals. Jay

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM

275 posts, read 416,437 times
how about Portland, just a stone's throw from Middletown?
South Glastonbury's a beautiful.peaceful town, near the ferry to Rocky Hill & CT RIVER also.
Lots of farm land there too.
very scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut